PDA

View Full Version : How much "play" in the flywheel?

Bushmaster6
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Put my 99 A4 2.8Q (98k on the odo) in a local Audi specialty shop for a clutch replacement. Tech says that the dual-mass flywheel needs replacing. I was wary of that as I didn't think I'd experienced any slippage or driveablity issues. On a visit to the shop, they showed me the flywheel moving (while still bolted to the engine). I've done jeep clutch and flywheel replacements (basic flywheel) and I know that thing should move unless the engine/crank is turning.. but on a dual-mass flywheel, is there some tolerance for it to move? It rotated easily with my hand what seemed like about 1/2 inch.

Afterthought.. I HAD noticed that the car felt like it was "oscillating" when I was climbing a hill.. odd feeling, not necessarily in the clutch/gas pedal, but almost like a wheel out of round.. but going up a hill would increase the load on the flywheel/clutch and therefore might cause some "slippage", giving me that bumpy feeling.

I'm new to Colorado Springs and I'm just wary of any shop I'm new to, and I'd obviously prefer to know if a guy is trying to d-ck me over. That said, they did agree to a dropped price on teh flywheel (about 1/2 the difference between their supplier and mine, and still honoring their warranty), so their potential profit for adding this work decreased.

Then they told me my front suspension was f'd.. but I expected to hear that. 3G's to keep my 9 year old car on the road.. not a good day.

Poopie
08-27-2007, 08:31 PM
dude, sounds like hes trying to bend you over. Where is the slop? Is it just normal slop from the rotating assembly of the motor? Is the crank rotating with the flywheel? Sounds like you are mechanically inclined...why not do the suspension work yourself?

Bushmaster6
08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
slop is rotational, and no.. flywheel bolts weren't moving as the flywheel surface did.. but I did read somewhere that the dual-mass do move a bit independently

mechanically inclined.. sure, a bit.. but working on a jeep is alot easier than an audi and.. I work alot (my time is limited).
Not to mention that I have two Jeep CJs as "projects", one of which is in my garage receiving a Howell TBI conversion kit so, turning my daily driver into project number three isn't the most ideal.. I have done entire jeep suspensions but, frankly, the complexity and cost of the audi job is more intimidating

that 3Gs (approximation, probably more) I quoted above was inclusive of clutch, flywheel, front upper control arms and tre, plus new front struts and an alignment, parts and labor

Poopie
08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
that is actually a good deal.

Bushmaster6
08-27-2007, 09:21 PM
cool.. I feel better now.. well, okay, it's still a soaking, but I don't feel like i'm getting soaked (comes with the audi) and f'd at the same time