PDA

View Full Version : Coilover problem*

$teady$upreme
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I attempted to adjust the height of my friend's H&R coilover on his B5, but the collars are seized. I can't turn them at all, so what should i do?

sixfiveoh
08-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Try harder. Seriously.

Hit it with some WD40 and make sure the wrenches are on there tight. You have to pull one one way and the other the opposite direction. Have your friend take one and you the other if you have to.

$teady$upreme
08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
We had used WD40 already, still won't budge.

THe thing is, my friend hasn't adjusted his coilover for more than 5 years.

We tried having me pulling one way and him pulling the other way, but it seems really sketchy since you can see the shock body trying to move (but no the collars).

Try harder. Seriously.

Hit it with some WD40 and make sure the wrenches are on there tight. You have to pull one one way and the other the opposite direction. Have your friend take one and you the other if you have to.

98a4
08-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Its his fault for not maintaining coilovers known to sieze. SOL sorry...

unless you can heat them without boiling the oil inside

Starting
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
use pb plaster or krieokel(whatever its called) instead of wd40

Blake260
08-27-2007, 06:46 PM
I just gt my H&R's unceased, I had them out, put them in a vise, and turned as hard as I could, I would suggest to take them out, put them in a vise, spray them with WD40 or similar, and maybe hit one of the wrenches with a hammer to kind of jolt it. then use force, but dont bend the coilover itself.

loustylez
10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
having a similar problem myself and this is the only thread that came up in search.

if i take my coilovers off (bilstein pss9's) to try and clean the threads up, do i need to have a spring compressor handy or should i be ok since the shock will be compressed anyway and shouldn't be extending while i work on them?

onemoremile
10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Lou-
If you take them off just turn the collar down to set the spring free. No compressors needed unless there is a tall tender spring.

$$-
Your friend has neglected them to the point of no return. He'll have to put a set of spring compressors on the spring and then cut the collar off and get a replacement. I had the same issue with a set of KW Inox with the stainless bodies. The collars had galled and were permanently locked in place. The replacements were nylon instead of aluminum which means others had the same problem.
When fitting the new collars be sure to use a high temp anti seize like a graphite spray.

NCGNETO
10-26-2007, 03:53 PM
use pb plaster or krieokel(whatever its called) instead of wd40

+1 +1

The best stuff. I always use PB Blast. It's the BomB!

Burntaudi
10-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I bought a used set of Koni coilovers that were frozen into place. I put them in a vise hosed the hell out of them with PB blaster and hit the spanner wrench with a hammer to break the perches loose. I then used a wire brush to clean the threads and ran the perches up and down till they spun nice and freely.

I also spray the threads with a good silicone spray every once in a while to maintain them. I have adjusted them a few times without issue since.

You could try hitting the perch with a heavy screwdriver and hammer to try and get them broken loose.

loustylez
10-27-2007, 07:37 AM
When fitting the new collars be sure to use a high temp anti seize like a graphite spray.

trying to get mine unseized today. does autozone or oreilly's have that stuff? i called and the guy seemed like he was blowing smoke up my ass.

casawhites4
10-28-2007, 09:56 AM
which coilover kit will i not have this problem with???
vogtland???
stasis???

loustylez
10-28-2007, 10:16 AM
the problem is this...

i put coilovers that have adjustable threads exposed to the elements in the wheel well on a daily driver car in kansas city that uses salt and all that other shit on the roads when it snows. not the best idea. the design and the elements the materials are exposed to is the problem, not the brand.

if you live in a more car friendly climate you probably won't have that problem. me, i won't put coilovers on a DD anymore unless weather is never much of an issue.

Burntaudi
10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
which coilover kit will i not have this problem with???
vogtland???
stasis???

None if you don't take care of them. You need to use a nylon brush to clean the threads & at the very least a good quality spry lube them. If you don't take these steps they will freeze.

Kyle H
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
So how often should I be cleaning my STaSIS coilovers to make sure they don't seize up on me? Every couple months, 6 months, once a year?

I'm guessing once after snowboard season, and maybe once in the middle of summer would be fine.

loustylez
10-30-2007, 05:45 PM
i'm thinking maybe 2 or 3 times during winter depending on when the salt and snow is on the ground and once or twice during the summer. i didn't use a nylon brush i used a wirebrush head on a drill and did it real soft. the threads seem fine. put antiseize on them and spun the rings up and down to get it in there.

onemoremile
10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Another option for preventative maintenance is covering up the threads with something heat resistant. I've heard of various products getting used but one of the best is PlastiDip tool handle dip. The spray is too thin so you need to brush on the dip. RTV or silicone caulk also works well. It cures and stays in place until you peel it off and expose the pristine threads.

I used a graphite spray on my KW coilovers and they were still hard to spin by hand.

Side-Step
11-13-2007, 07:46 AM
The H&R coilover set comes with lube to put on the threads. Thanks for
reminding me, I'll be doing this tonight.

loustylez
11-13-2007, 09:44 AM
that may just be antiseize. if so, you'd probably want to use that by drawing a line across the threads then rotating the rings down and back.