PDA

View Full Version : Smoking from exhaust when I start it...

AustinQuattro
08-27-2007, 09:14 AM
(2001 A4 Quattro 1.8T Tip)

Thanks again MattDevo...Matt helped me tremendously...we fixed four or so vacuum lines and changed a check valve and the hose that was leaking the boost.

Now, when the car has been sitting for a while, it smokes when I start it. A faintly blue, mostly white smoke. Not super thick but clearly smoke. No CEL, no codes on the VAG-COM...and it seems to be running ok too. The smoke has a funny burning plastic smell to it...

??????????????????????????????

This sucks...I have to drive to New Orleans next weekend, and there's no way in hell I'm driving my Cherokee with 15 miles to the gallon on a 800+ mile round trip.
Anybody have any suggestions? It isn't bad gas, but maybe something got built up in the cylinders when the boost thing was messed up?

I really have no idea how to trouble shoot this. Should I not be driving it? Oil level is ok, pressure I don't know because I don't have a guage, but temperature is fine too...Should I not dare driving it to New Orleans from Austin?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, the car only has 68,500 miles, and 2 or 3,000 miles ago the dealer did a sludge kit on it. I checked the oil and it has gone through a quart in the last 3,000 miles.

[confused][confused][confused][headbang][headbang][headbang]

sixfiveoh
08-27-2007, 09:20 AM
No CEL? Might wanna scan it anyway to be sure. Any performance changes?

zrowcool
08-27-2007, 09:26 AM
mine does the same. it smells funny and has smoke and also misses a little bit when its cold. Once its warm it runs fine and no codes come up with vag-com. i changed the plugs and even the gas and added additives that clean the injectors and such but havent had anything work for me yet.

AustinQuattro
08-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Nope...No CEL, in fact I put it on the VAG COM Friday and there were no codes anywhere at all...

No performance changes that I can feel. Turbo is boosting correctly to. If it was a piston ring, I would probably have lower compression, but I don't. The turbo could be the culprit but it doesn't spool up slowly, or boost lower, and the smoke is only when I start the car, not all the time or when I'm on the boost.

And the miles are so low it seems like the turbo would be the most likely thing. Also, maybe a Valve guide or something that would allow a little oil to build up and then burn off when I start it. It really stinks though, like burning plastic.

salz2135
08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
does it smell like burning oil or burning plastic? how many miles on your car?

zrowcool
08-27-2007, 01:16 PM
i would say more like burning plastic on mine. i had a camaro so i know what burning oil smells like. this is a different smell.

AustinQuattro
08-27-2007, 02:53 PM
car has 68,500 miles...smells like burning plastic. I think it is the turbo...it smokes all the time but I don't notice it. When it sits for a while, the oil builds up where the bushing has let it leak. When the car starts, all the leaked oil gets pushed to the intake and burns. Not sure why the plastic smell though.

audiness
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
just drive it ... constantly checking your oil and coolant levels.
Its probably a bit of oil seeping through worn out valve guides.

AustinQuattro
08-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Worn out valve guides...just what I was thinking from the start...just funny that it started after the dealer did the "sludge kit" when my engine had the sludge issue. Thanks for the input guys.