PDA

View Full Version : Spring Compressor problem, I can't get it off!

Kyle H
08-26-2007, 12:47 PM
So I'm installing teh STaSIS coilovers right now, and I've ran into my first problem.

Right now I have the compressor on the stock spring trying to get it off so I can put it on the coilover's spring to install it, but it wont come off. When I was cranking down on one side to loosed it, I accidentally made one side of the compressor slide towards the other.

Now I'm completely freaked out because I don't want it to shoot off and kill me, but I don't know what to do. I think one side of it bent because that side, I can't turn at all, and I can turn the other side easily.

Here's some pics of where it's at now.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r261/snowmanhitman/DSC01111.jpg?t=1188157557

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r261/snowmanhitman/DSC01112.jpg?t=1188157557

What do I do?!

Will a shop take it off for me? We joked about throwing it off a bridge and seeing if the compressor would fall off, or throwing it in the trash and hoping it didn't kill the trash man, but I'm hoping theres a safer way.

Thanks,
Kyle

sixfiveoh
08-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Lol.

Take it to a shop.

speedydragon
08-26-2007, 12:54 PM
whoa that position doen't look right or safe!

awfdahook
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Take off the one you said you can easily turn and use it to re-compress from the opposite side of the stuck one to even out the springs overall compression and at the same time releaving the stuck side of all that tension. You can then decompress from both sides gradually from one to the other, back and forth. Eventually you will be able to get them both off.[wrench]

SoFresh
08-26-2007, 01:26 PM
hahaha, that doesnt look too safe.... you should be fine losening up one, the one that slid down, and slidding it back to the other side then re-compressing it. Or... if worst comes to worse, put some goggles on, an armored vest, steel toed boots, shark bite protection diving suit and beat the heck out of the spring with a hammer or hacksaw, jk, you should be fine.

If youre uncomfortable doing it, then just take it to a shop.

.Mad Hatter.
08-26-2007, 01:40 PM
lol, goggles.

why cant you use an impact gun and undo it? am i missing something?

Starting
08-26-2007, 01:52 PM
that really isn't too bad. Just put your foot on it and hit it with the impact gun and it should come right off.

SoFresh
08-26-2007, 04:45 PM
lol, goggles.

why cant you use an impact gun and undo it? am i missing something?

haha, I said goggles because I did my struts/springs last weekend on my new project and I rented a set of strut compressors and the warning lable on the box said "wear goggles" lol

xAUDIx
08-26-2007, 05:06 PM
LOL Im pretty sure if that thing was flying towards your face, googles would be the least of your worrys

kjgarreau
08-26-2007, 05:18 PM
that really isn't too bad. Just put your foot on it and hit it with the impact gun and it should come right off.

2nd. Make sure you're wearing boots. Sandals = no.

Wizard-of-OD
08-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Only way to learn....hope you dont lose some parts learning though.
Instead of wasting time creating a thread I wouldve just released them one by one.

Kyle H
08-26-2007, 06:53 PM
One of them is bowed in about 1/4" in the middle, so tomorrow I'm just going to take it to my parents friends shop and have them use a hydraulic compressor to compress the spring, then take that compressor off.

No impact gun here. :(

kjgarreau
08-26-2007, 07:19 PM
No impact gun here. :(

Eew. Now you know what to ask for come the holidays. :)