PDA

View Full Version : CEL and more power

DND
08-26-2007, 12:20 AM
My CEL came on today and it felt like my car was running better afterwards.
Any thoughts? (the CEL is still on)

I chipped it a couple months ago and it didn't seem to make much difference. The weird thing is that sometimes it feels like it's pulling nice and strong and other times it feels like there is no power at all. It doesn't sound funny when it's running and the dealership didn't find anything wrong a few months ago.

I came to Seattle (Redmond to be specific) a couple months ago and felt like I had more power at the lower elevation (except for the times when it feels like there is no power) but it seems to "randomly" alternate between working "right" and being gutless. If there is any pattern to it I would say it seems to run strong more often when it is cold and less often when it is hot.

Is there anyone in the Seattle area who has some time and expertise to help me figure out what to do? I confess I haven't bought a VAG-COM cable yet...
The car seems to be running fine but I'm a little worried about driving with the check engine light on.
[confused]

speedydragon
08-26-2007, 12:43 AM
well ckeck for the obvious first. like loose gas cap, unplugged wires in the engine bay (mainly the intake side area), look under the hood for whistle noises when idel (boost leak), check injectors for gunk, check coilpacks (spark plugs too, if yo ucan access them), open the silver engine cover thingy (the one under the plastic engine cover) and check for sludge. ^.^

Oricle
08-26-2007, 12:47 AM
It's a massive night and day difference in heat.
If you notice not much power on 85* weather, that is why.

Who is your tune?
Originally when I had my APR tune I had a Rich CEL. Didn't really bother me, ect. Fuel efficency stayed the same so I really didn't care.

Probally isn't something worth worrying over. I'd see if some one on here can scan your codes for you.

DND
08-26-2007, 01:04 AM
well ckeck for the obvious first
Okay thanks, some of those I can do; I'm mechanically inclined but a bit of a newbie so I don't know what to do with coil packs (or where or what they are [:D]).

(boost leak)
If I have an intermittent boost leak that would explain the on and off loss of power but not the CEL and more power.

open the silver engine cover thingy
I love your description, I understand that kind of talk (now coil packs on the other hand... [;)])

If you notice not much power on 85* weather, that is why.
Ya, I wondered about that, I'm sure that is the case some times but when it comes and goes within a few seconds I don't think it's just external heat so something else must be going on.

Who is your tune?
APR 91, I have 93 also but don't know where to get 94 octane in Redmond?

Originally when I had my APR tune I had a Rich CEL
Mine just came on today, possibly coincidentally after going a "bit faster" than usual (still not reving very high or anything) in 5th gear on the freeway. It hasn't done it previously in about a month and a half of running the 91 octane profile.

Fuel efficency stayed the same so I really didn't care
Hmm, mine has seemed to go way down since I chipped, I've been seriously considering going back to stock except I'm past my 30 day refund point.

Probally isn't something worth worrying over.
I hope not, especially with no more warranty. [;)] I drove it home for another half hour after the light came on and didn't notice any problems.

I'd see if some one on here can scan your codes for you.
Ya that would be awesome, I'll be more than happy to travel if it isn't too far, I'm currently in Redmond, WA.

Whoa, I did way too much quoting! [:p]

speedydragon
08-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Lol I'm not much of an engine dude either, I just remember somethings that i've read in other posts ^^. coilpakcs are the 4 black thingies that are placed adjacent to each other when you open the black plastic engine cover. The should be on the left side of the engine when you open the black cover. Now if you had the tools and time, you can go further and open the silver thingy and you'll be able to see all the twisty parts of the engine. If you see a lot of slude buildup, that'll probably be the cel problem. Get your car scaned at autozone or whereever and come back with the codes, then some other people will be able to chime in ^^

AudiRacerS4
08-26-2007, 08:17 AM
^^ what hes saying is take the valve cover off and check to see if you have sludge buildup but when that happens you usually get an oil light not a CEL

2001A4QUATTRO
08-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I run the APR 93 and I have those same issues. Although not certain ( I do not have a boost gauge yet or a vag) I believe this issue to be the heat of the intake charge and the factory smic is crap... I was able to use 00black1.8t's intake heatshield and it helped a lot. Still kind of off and on, but definately faster when it is cooler out. [drive]

[az]

DND
08-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Okay cool, thanks for all the help and info.
I tried switching back to the stock profile and the light went away, is that normal?
Are the codes saved or did I accidentally erase them by switching profiles?

2001A4QUATTRO
08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
No the codes will stay in the computer. The check engine light going away means that the whatever the issue was, it is not happening in stock mode. ( more boost, more timing for the 91 or 93) So you still need to go get the codes read to figure out what is wrong. I have seen turning down the boost HIDE problems from bad spark plugs, coils, boost leak, faulty sensors etc.. All I need is a vag-com now.. :P

AudiSport12
08-26-2007, 08:39 PM
definatly pick up a boost gauge to see whats going on and get the codes scanned. i dont think it would be coil packs because you didnt say that the car was misfiring or anything.

bandit
08-27-2007, 10:19 AM
boost gauge and GIAC ftw