PDA

View Full Version : Possibly interested in getting an A4 but need some help before I purchase...

blujetta2002
08-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks in advance. I am possibly interested in purchasing a B5 A4 as my DD. I currently own a Wrangler and need something a little more comfortable and better on fuel. I was looking at a 1996 A4 Quatro 2.8L. I am not interested in modding the engine...I owned 1.8T in my Jetta and am not interested in owning another 1.8T so the 2.8 will do just fine.

-My question is will these car cost me a fortune to own? I have found a few with high miles which I dont mind at all...I realize I will probably have to do a timing belt right off the bat...what does that usually run? I was looking for in the 3K dollar range and realize that they wont be mint but I am OK with that as it will only be a DD.

-Are electrical problems a big concern on these years? (A friend of mine had a 1998 Passat which had all sorts of ABS problems)

-Anything else I should be aware of down the road?

Thanks again

dukez
08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Its a tough question, your mileage may vary. The A4 doesn't really suffer from "all sorts" of ABS problems, it just one problem - it'll also malfunction. My ABS is currently out along with plenty others heres on this forum. Its a common failure. Being a high mileage car though, its probably already seen most of the failures that goes wrong with the A4 (most of the problems happens before 100k anyways) so if the engine still runs good on that 96, then i don't think it'll be much of a money pit. But don't take my word on it. [eek][:D] YMMV.

blujetta2002
08-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Its a tough question, your mileage may vary. The A4 doesn't really suffer from "all sorts" of ABS problems, it just one problem - it'll also malfunction. My ABS is currently out along with plenty others heres on this forum. Its a common failure. Being a high mileage car though, its probably already seen most of the failures that goes wrong with the A4 (most of the problems happens before 100k anyways) so if the engine still runs good on that 96, then i don't think it'll be much of a money pit. But don't take my word on it. [eek][:D] YMMV.

Appreciate the response. Definitely does make a lot of sense on some of the things that normally break would be broken by now. I have been out of the vw audi scene for some time and would like to get back in without breaking the bank and was hoping that the B5 would be a nice daily driver with maybe just rims and suspenion.

Here is the way the Jetta was in its prime...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c225/Nikegman/CC002shopped.jpg

4ringAR
08-25-2007, 03:27 PM
there are very few engine mods you can do to the 2.8(without spending thousands) unlike a VR6. simply chipping a 1.8T puts it at around 200 hp, more than that of a 2.8.

blujetta2002
08-25-2007, 04:07 PM
there are very few engine mods you can do to the 2.8(without spending thousands) unlike a VR6. simply chipping a 1.8T puts it at around 200 hp, more than that of a 2.8.

Yeah would prefer the 2.8....I dont plan on doing any engine mods and I had problems with my 1.8T after I chipped it, exhaust, fmic, DV...the works pretty much.