PDA

View Full Version : Turbine freeplay?

audiFUEGO
08-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Yestderday i had the whole front end ripped off and and i was able to fiddle with the inlet on my turbo. I noticed there was abit a freeplay in the turbine, like i could move it up and down 0.5mm along with being able to turn it..

Has my turbo gone bad?

I already have a k04 coing i just want to make sure i dont have other problems

offroader1006
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
different turbos have different specs. i have no idea what ours is on the K03.

but .5mm(eyeballed) doesn't sound serious.

mike-2ptzero
08-31-2007, 05:20 AM
Does it move enough to cause the ends of the blades to touch the housing and does the ends of the blades look worn in any way?

savetheclutch
09-04-2007, 05:53 AM
so if the end of the blades is a little worn that means the turbo is bad? also I have a turbo sitting at home but it seems like it has a lot of oil inside is that normal or is it gone??

audiFUEGO
09-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Does it move enough to cause the ends of the blades to touch the housing and does the ends of the blades look worn in any way?

Im pretty sure the blades do touch the housing...

Put it this way... ever since i got a TP, if i boost too quickly, i hear a loud rattle coming from the turbo area. I think its because the turbine isnt spinning properly but i may be wrong and the rattle noise might be normal in our cars with TP.

Also... my boost gauge still hits 15psi... the only thing is, I usually wont feel any boost until 1-2 secs after the needle has been sitting on 15psi...

audiFUEGO
09-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Update:

I pulled codes today... got a PO172... engine running lean.

I dont have any vac leaks.. so my best guess is that either the turbo is leaking air or my intake manifold gasket needs to be changed...

Any other ideas?

Kyle H
09-04-2007, 09:55 PM
If the turbo was leaking air wouldn't that make it run rich?

It would meter the air, send a specific amount of fuel for that air, and the turbo leaking would mean less air, or a rich air/fuel mixture.

I can't really help you much, just thought I'd throw that in. [:)]

audiFUEGO
09-05-2007, 06:01 AM
If the turbo was leaking air wouldn't that make it run rich?

It would meter the air, send a specific amount of fuel for that air, and the turbo leaking would mean less air, or a rich air/fuel mixture.

I can't really help you much, just thought I'd throw that in. [:)]

Thats exactly what i was thinking... Im keeping my fingers crossed that my rich A/F ratio is due to my turbo..

I just hope that there isnt another serious prob beside coilpacks that was making her misfire yesterday [wrench]