PDA

View Full Version : VAG 17544...how to decifer which issue?

owde_eh4
08-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Guys,

CEL came on last week, didn't notice any difference in the drive. It turned off the next day. CEL came on again this week, took it for diagnostic and came out

17544: Long Term Fuel Trim. Add. Fuel, Bank1 System too lean

the DTC was P1136

It lists the corrective Actions as

1. check intake air system for leaks

2. check HO2S -G39- and O2S control

3. Check MAF G70

4. check fuel pressure regulator and residual pressure

5. check fuel injectors output diagnostic test mode

I guess my question is how would I know which problem I have other than taking the car in for them to go through each action?? Are there any typical symptoms characteristic of each of these? I cant say I notice a difference in the drive or start. Are there any simple checks i can do? Should it not be driven at all? Any suggestions would be appreciated. [confused]

thnx

98.5 1.8T

kjgarreau
08-24-2007, 08:44 PM
1. Pressure test the intake/vacuum system for leaks. Search for how to make your own tester. Easiest thing to do is replace all of your vacuum lines.

2. Probably not your o2 sensor.

3. In VAG-COM you can run tests and check the MAF readings. If they're too low, you probably need a new MAF.

4/5 - worry about them later.

Most likely your MAF is shot or you've got some vac lines leaking. Take a trip to Pep Boys/AutoZone and get some 5/32" ID rubber vac lines and zip ties/screw clamps. 20-25' of vac line should do you good with some leftover for future use. Try that and report back.

Also log block 002 (or 003? can't remember) in a third-gear pull from 2000 to 6500. Post your MAF g/s readings.

*edit* Also check the L-hose, it runs from the suction pump to the intake manifold, on the right-hand side. This one's another big area for leaks. As for driving the car, you're fine, but you obviously want to fix this at some point soon.

darth tater
08-24-2007, 08:47 PM
lean at idle.. check for leaks on vacum hoses and in the PCV system btween the manifold and check valves.

owde_eh4
08-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,

thnx for quick replies. Much appreciated. Will probably see how it runs this week, see if i can notice any particulars. My guess is that I'll probably have to change the vac lines...thnx again