PDA

View Full Version : vdo boost gauge buzz

j2da
08-24-2007, 06:44 PM
i just installed a vdo boost gauge in my car. after driving with it for a while i started hearing an annoying buzzing sound coming from the gauge. would this be my t fitting i used? if so, is there anywhere i could pick this up locally and not have to order it online and wait for it?

sixfiveoh
08-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm kinda getting this too every once and a while but only on the highway, and not when I'm boosting, but when I let off and it goes into vacuum. I thought I had a the correct t fitting, tho. I got my tubing kit from 42draftdesigns and I thought their t fitting was the anti buzz?

dannslc
08-24-2007, 06:53 PM
i am having the same problem with my vdo gauge. It's really annoying. I also just installed mine. I can't figure out what is causing it.

dannslc
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
You recently installed yours sixfive, is that correct. I wonder if we got a bad group of gauges/fittings or something.

sixfiveoh
08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah I just did mine probably 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking it's gotta be the T fitting. Is yours buzzing when you boost? Mine just sounds like a small rattle everytime I go down into vacuum, and it seems like it only happens at certain vibration frequencies. I thought it was a loose bolt on the back of the bracket, cuz that's what it sounds like... but... idk.

dannslc
08-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah mine does do it when I go in to the vacuum. Only at cerain freq as well.

SurferForever
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
Common problem. You just need to get the t fitting from ecs or install a little filter thing to do something that stops it

j2da
08-25-2007, 06:16 AM
yeah mine buzzes a lot when i boost, and when it goes from boost into vacuum. ill have to order the t fitting.

how about installing a little fuel filter in the pressure line? i saw the AWE gauge kit, and that came with a fuel filter to stop buzzing in 00 and 01 a4s. would this work?

offroader1006
08-25-2007, 02:57 PM
any inline restriction will work.

small filter or

stick some 12 ga wire in(no insulation) heat the nylon tubing until it shrinks around the wire, then pull the wire out, leaving a smaller diameter section that will restrict flow.

GetBoosted84
08-26-2007, 08:11 PM
By restricting flow to the gauge aren't you going to see a pressure drop at the gauge?

buck
08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
By restricting flow to the gauge aren't you going to see a pressure drop at the gauge?

If you pinch the line - you will not get proper boost readings, if you narrow it, readings will stay the same.

Go to your local parts store, get an in-line fuel filter for a lawnmower and plumb it in. Problem solved.

offroader1006
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM

flow is measured in CFM, pressure is measured in PSI.

a drop in flow will not effect the pressure, there is no where for air to flow, it dead ends @ the gauge.

j2da
08-29-2007, 07:47 AM
If you pinch the line - you will not get proper boost readings, if you narrow it, readings will stay the same.

Go to your local parts store, get an in-line fuel filter for a lawnmower and plumb it in. Problem solved.

i went to an auto parts store and got a fuel filter the other day. it was a 1/4 inch fuel filter though with a decent amount of flow. this didnt stop the buzzing, but after i restricted the flow of the filter a little it stopped most of the buzz. but there is still some.

buck
08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
i went to an auto parts store and got a fuel filter the other day. it was a 1/4 inch fuel filter though with a decent amount of flow. this didnt stop the buzzing, but after i restricted the flow of the filter a little it stopped most of the buzz. but there is still some.

How did you restrict it?

I was wondering if I just stuck a piece of coffee filter in the line if that would restrict it enough?!

audiFUEGO
08-29-2007, 10:06 AM
How did you restrict it?

I was wondering if I just stuck a piece of coffee filter in the line if that would restrict it enough?!

Thats some mcguyver shit...[wrench]

Ill end up doing it if it works hah [:p]

sixfiveoh
08-29-2007, 10:24 AM
I guess it doesn't really bother me enough to fix mine, because it only does it occasionally when coming out of boost. AWE sells the t-fitting that's supposed to fix this, though, right?

I was under the impression that the one I bought from 42draftdesigns was designed the same way though. Oh well.

Here's the t-fitting that came with my tubing kit: http://42draftdesigns.com/product/vdo/42003.htm

j2da
08-29-2007, 10:46 AM
How did you restrict it?

i restricted it by putting some wire in the line like offroader said 2. that helped but i also stuck some smaller tubing in the line to add more restriction. i took some 3/16 tubing, cut it in half the long way, folded it upon itself and stuck it in the filter. that seemed to work. but i also stopped listening for the buzz, it was pissing me off 2 much.