PDA

View Full Version : What a day...

audiFUEGO
08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
So since 8 am this morning me and my uncle (mechanic) took my whole front end apart and did some servicing/tuning.

I changed the timing belt, water pump, TB tensioner... installed my PSi test pipe and custom fitted my fmic. That fmic install was a b*tch and a half, we basically had to dremmel the whole front bumper to make it fit, and half a bumper later it looks sweet as hell [:D][up]

I ordered my K04-015 from kinetic motorsports in cali for a nice price and it should be here next week.

As for now i had a few questions... Ever since i installed the TP and the FMIC, the car has been in limp mode which doesnt surprise me because i think the k03 is blown. When the front end was off i was able to fiddle with the turbine on the inlet side and i noticed it has a tiny bit of freeplay... could this be why i wasnt boosting before? (if you followed my other thread).

Also, For those of you who have FMIC, what did you do about the the air pressure sensor on the stock SMIC? i just left it hanging, and i feel like thats why im in limp mode... correct me if im wrong.

Anyways, k04 gets put in next week and i hope that will solve my problem, when everthing is done i will make a big picture thread and show everything ive done step by step. Thankyou to all who helped me through all this.

[az]

KevinA41.8T
08-24-2007, 06:32 PM
why would you leave the map sensor just hanging, do you think its there just for fun??? thats a pretty important sensor.

audiFUEGO
08-24-2007, 06:39 PM
why would you leave the map sensor just hanging, do you think its there just for fun??? thats a pretty important sensor.

Where do i plug it into? do i have to custom fit it into the tubing or something?[confused]

aytheory
08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
yip - you have to get a flange wielded on to the pipping - you need that piece and i am ndbw - and even i know you need that shit

Matt@JHM
08-24-2007, 06:42 PM
They make mounts for the sensor, but it needs to be welded to the piping... I'm sure you have a CEL, get the codes pulled.

Unfortunately I don't have a link to the mounts, but I'm sure others can help you out.

biketsai
08-24-2007, 09:43 PM
pictures of the fmic?

audiFUEGO
08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
They make mounts for the sensor, but it needs to be welded to the piping... I'm sure you have a CEL, get the codes pulled.

Unfortunately I don't have a link to the mounts, but I'm sure others can help you out.

i found out its made by 42 draft designs.... but im just wondering if i should order the aluminum or the steel?? [confused]

Do i have to drill into my tubing and weld this onto it?
it says it fits 2.25" - 2.5" piping...[confused]

[az]

audiFUEGO
08-24-2007, 09:51 PM
pictures of the fmic?

i will post a bunch of pics of the install and end results after i get the k04 in, ill post everything at once

EDIT: is my car drivable in its current condition with the map sensor unplugged until i get the flange welded?

Matt@JHM
08-24-2007, 10:48 PM
i found out its made by 42 draft designs.... but im just wondering if i should order the aluminum or the steel?? [confused]

Do i have to drill into my tubing and weld this onto it?
it says it fits 2.25" - 2.5" piping...[confused]

[az]

If your piping is aluminum then order aluminum, steel on steel etc.

And yes, you would need to drill the piping and weld the flange over it.

audiFUEGO
08-24-2007, 11:00 PM
If your piping is aluminum then order aluminum, steel on steel etc.

And yes, you would need to drill the piping and weld the flange over it.

thanks for the help elitedrumr... do u know if its ok to drive the car until this gets done?

Matt@JHM
08-24-2007, 11:11 PM
thanks for the help elitedrumr... do u know if its ok to drive the car until this gets done?

Sorry, that I cannot answer.

scottykenneth
08-24-2007, 11:39 PM
I just did that same custom FMIC- got the piece from 42 draft designs- next day air available- just drilled the hole big enough for the sensor and JB welded the flange on- no probs- no cell :)

audiFUEGO
08-25-2007, 08:49 AM
I just did that same custom FMIC- got the piece from 42 draft designs- next day air available- just drilled the hole big enough for the sensor and JB welded the flange on- no probs- no cell :)

sweet... just ordered it last night, prob wont be here till tuesday...

Can i drive the car until then?

also, is it bad that there freeplay in the turbine (moves around a bit) in my turbo inlet? is that whats causing my boost problems?

TIA[az]

badboi24u
08-25-2007, 11:12 AM
yea shaftplay isnt that great but who cares your getting a ko4 anyways.

Oricle
08-25-2007, 11:55 AM
The reason you may not be boosting(5 PSI?) is you may be in hard limp mode. Have your uncle bring a scan tool over and clear all codes(wont show up as a CEL).

audiFUEGO
08-25-2007, 02:04 PM
yea shaftplay isnt that great but who cares your getting a ko4 anyways.

yeah exactly, but i just want some peace of mind that the shaftplay is the reason my car was running poorly in the firstplace...

I would hate life if i swap the turbo out, get new software, and still the car runs like crap...

Ever sionce i installed the front mount, the trbo noise has been greatly amplified and 50% of the time i hear a normal turbo whistle, but the other 50% i hear a noisy rattling instead of the whistle...

I just hope i dont run into another issue after i finally put the k04 in... i have fixed so much stuff on this car i the past 4 weeks

Oricle- i know whay the car is in limp mode, its because i still havent rigged up my MAP sensor to my fmic, i have the flange ordered already [up]