PDA

View Full Version : Clutch ? for every1..

projectdarka4
08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
So i have a 98 1.8tq, and my clutch is going... i want to get the sb ofe stage 3 kit.. what all do i need besides this? how do i know which flywheel i have??
Im 17 and have a limited income, so is there something i should kno, or is there a better clutch system to buy.. any help greatly appreciated as i need to know soon... i need to know basically everything i need etc

MikeWasHere05
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
So i have a 98 1.8tq, and my clutch is going... i want to get the sb ofe stage 3 kit.. what all do i need besides this? how do i know which flywheel i have??
Im 17 and have a limited income, so is there something i should kno, or is there a better clutch system to buy.. any help greatly appreciated as i need to know soon... i need to know basically everything i need etc

I'm on mile 98 of the break-in period with the SB OFE STG3. Its a great clutch for daily driving. When you first install it you'll be very surprised with how low it catches, but our hydraulic systems are self adjusting and over time it'll feel more or less just like stock.

It depends on your mod plans. I'm planning on going PC-16 so I decided to get the stage 3. I probably could've gone with a stage 4, but I don't plan on dragging it much at all so I decided to put the $100 towards some other stuff. If you are staying stock you could probably get a stage 2 and be fine. Just make sure you plan on staying stock. Once you see the bill for install, or spend the time installing it yourself you'll never want to do it ever again.

Talk to Jeff here on AZ, hes a Southbend distributor and is very helpful. His email is jeff@audigeeks.com

Good luck [up]

GR-RALLYE
08-24-2007, 12:33 PM

the clutch comes with a pressure plate, throwout bearing, and allignment tool. the only other things you would need would be to get the flywheel resurfaced or a new one and new pressure plate/flywheel bolts from the dealer. email jeff@audigeeks.com and he will set you up to get you up

.Mad Hatter.
08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
check out spec cluthces as well, they have some good setups....i plan on going that route myself.

Poopie
08-24-2007, 12:41 PM
specs blow up =)

I trust southbend. The stage 3 is a good clutch. Getting it installed is pricey

.Mad Hatter.
08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
specs blow up =)

[rolleyes] false.

Poopie
08-24-2007, 12:58 PM
I would rather not roll the dice and gamle using a spec clutch. Some have had good luck, some not too much. I had the pleasure of swapping 2 spec clutches out of a4s because one was worn after 8k miles of easy driving and one was shattered. I also helped a friend pull a spec clutch out of his mkIV GTI after a rivet popped off and the clutch material fell off. All are using Southbend clutches and the GTI has a clutchmasters in it. Due to personal experience I would not recommend a spec clutch to anyone. If you snoop around you will see quite a few unahppy spec users.

.Mad Hatter.
08-24-2007, 01:01 PM
i guess youll find unhappy users with any product though, but i can understand if youve had bad luck personally. there are quite a few guys that have run spec clutches on audis and vws with alot of torque with no issues. i have heard one other person mention a failure, but that should be taken care of by contacting spec.

GR-RALLYE
08-24-2007, 02:30 PM
i guess youll find unhappy users with any product though, but i can understand if youve had bad luck personally. there are quite a few guys that have run spec clutches on audis and vws with alot of torque with no issues. i have heard one other person mention a failure, but that should be taken care of by contacting spec.

Oleg,
Saw your email and thanks for the interest but we've seen (and heard) of to many problems with SPEC clutches to warrant the risks of installing them ever again. If we had spoke with you ahead of time we would have tried to steer you clear of them entirely but since you've already purchased one maybe we can help you next time.

I've read of one guy on here also thats on his 3rd clutch after his SPEC clutch went out also..

.Mad Hatter.
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM
are these guys buying clutches that cant handel the power theyre putting down or what? how does this happen with so many other satisfied customers?

projectdarka4
08-24-2007, 04:44 PM
so then southbend stage 3 it is... what are the install prices looking at??

GR-RALLYE
08-24-2007, 05:54 PM
are these guys buying clutches that cant handel the power theyre putting down or what? how does this happen with so many other satisfied customers?

IIRC there were some problems with SPEC clutches on Audis and SPEC ignored it so thats why people don't want them. If a shop won't install them then thats saying something about the clutch.

Install should be about $700

Kunundrum
08-24-2007, 06:59 PM
yeah I have a OFE SB stage 3 in my mildly modded A41.8t, I had it installed at a VW dealer for 500$ (don't expect that price since I was working at VW at the time I had it installed) price will varie on your location, I know back east I could have had it done for about 350$, but 500$ in toronto is a GREAT deal.

If your clutch is not dead, you might not need a new clutch or resurfaced, mine did not need to be and was just scuffed up with a pad at the dealership. Resurfacing is sometimes hit or miss and those that say they can do it will not garentee the work... with that being said I would source a flywheel localy In case you need it.

should be no more than 700$ to install the clutch in a AWD.

aytheory
08-24-2007, 07:09 PM
i am on stg 3 and going to be using a southbend stg 3 - mostly because I don't launch the car - so it should be enough got DD - and some auto x events - resurfacing the flywheel is a good idea - because a unsurfaced flywheel could cause your clutch to wear out faster - if you can find a place to balance it it would be awesome.

Poopie
08-24-2007, 07:30 PM
500 - 1000 bucks. I think spec has a consistancy issue and overrates the clutches.

capea4
08-24-2007, 07:30 PM
I have a SPEC...After going through absolute HELL with APR and the clutch they sold for a while I went spec and have never once been un-happy with it. I did get it several years ago and I believe their current line up to be different than what I got. I found them to be easy to deal with as well.
My 2 cents.

maxspeed
08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
i had my spec clutch disintegrate to nothing in under 10k miles, ive since installed the SB ofe stage 4 and the difference is night and day

speedydragon
08-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Nice! another 17yr old on the zine :D Not too many 17yr olds owning b5s, mostly of them are rich and own b7s :| have fun paying for installation on the clutch :|

projectdarka4
08-25-2007, 05:32 AM
yea... i just gotta find somewhere to do it, and do it right.... wheres a good place to find a flywheel if i need one??? Also, how do i know which flywheel i have to i can order this kit?

.Mad Hatter.
08-25-2007, 06:23 AM
you should be able to order lightweight and stock weight flywheels from wouthbend.....roughly $400-500 i think.

Poopie
08-25-2007, 07:49 AM
I have a stock resurfaced flywheel you can buy.

europshhrc279
08-25-2007, 09:13 AM
im looking for a clutch now too..prolly gonna go with either stage 3 southbend or stage 4 ...not sure yet..soon or later ill be going bt..teenagers ftw! lol im 18

Jereme
08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
double post

Jereme
08-25-2007, 12:15 PM
yeah i have Sb stg 3 and I love it. Where are you guys getting you flywheels resurfaced?? When I got my clutch I wasnt aware that SB would do them for you. And I couldnt find any place around here that would resurface a Dual Mass flywheel...

oh im 18 as well.btw

.Mad Hatter.
08-25-2007, 01:24 PM
now that weve got the ball rolling, what are you guys with k04's running, in terms of stages....preferably with some aggressive software (pc-16, hammer file, etc.)

also, full exhaust(3" DP to 2.5" CB), n75 race...etc etc....supporting mods, lol.

any input, i dont want to waste money on something i dont need, but i dont want to undershoot.....

projectdarka4
08-25-2007, 06:32 PM
ok well i called audi today, and they want 1100 to put it in... F**K THAT!!! im in illinois, so i will keep looking for a cheaper place... where can you get a flywheel resurfaced at?? just incase i dont have enough money to buy the ones people are trying to sell me

projectdarka4
08-25-2007, 06:33 PM
ALSO ANOTHER question i kno my clutch is getting bad... almost everytime i go quick in first gear and then try to shift to second, it grinds, and then falls in? is that just my pressure plate going to shit?

MikeWasHere05
08-25-2007, 07:14 PM
ALSO ANOTHER question i kno my clutch is getting bad... almost everytime i go quick in first gear and then try to shift to second, it grinds, and then falls in? is that just my pressure plate going to shit?

Sounds like synchros.

I can join the teen club too :) 17 here.

bitterchild
08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
spec has horrible quality control as well as issues w/ mismatching clutch discs and pressure plates for specific applications. As a market niche, their 1.8t stuff is garbage. At least the street stuff. They go to a metal/puck disc in their lineup before they really add any clamping force to the plate and that results in a rough engagement without adding much torque capacity, only heat resistance which you will need b/c they slip horribly well below the rated capacity. The customer service doesn't help their case. They have some decent products for other brands from what I hear but what's hearsay worth. I had a spec stg 2 and stg, both sucked. I've had werks of art and southbend afterwards and both were improvements. I have a pile of spec clutches in the garage that have come out of cars that upgraded to mostly southbend stuff.