PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new shifter linkage?

Militant-Grunt
08-24-2007, 11:06 AM
This has happened to me twice already, when accelerating hard, I've pulled the shifter out of its socket. I simply just pop it back in, but does it just mean that the part is worn out?

aytheory
08-24-2007, 11:24 AM
ahaha could you rephrase that - or explain it again - I have no idea what that means - why would you pull the shifter out of it socket - do you mean the shift knob comes off - then you just have a broken shifter - need a new one - a shift linkage has to do with side to side play when you are in gear - i would like the new metal ones look dam sexy and make the gear box tight

Militant-Grunt
08-24-2007, 12:01 PM
ahaha could you rephrase that - or explain it again - I have no idea what that means - why would you pull the shifter out of it socket - do you mean the shift knob comes off - then you just have a broken shifter - need a new one - a shift linkage has to do with side to side play when you are in gear - i would like the new metal ones look dam sexy and make the gear box tight

The shift linkage is connected to the box with a ball joint rod (the actual shifter).

The bottom of the shifter (the ball bit) comes out of the socket,(much like a dislocated shoulder if you can imagine).

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/eng55-2.jpg

The shifter pops out of that socket.

I should've called it a shifter assembly instead.

MikeWasHere05
08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
The shift linkage is connected to the box with a ball joint rod (the actual shifter).

The bottom of the shifter (the ball bit) comes out of the socket,(much like a dislocated shoulder if you can imagine).

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/eng55-2.jpg

The shifter pops out of that socket.

I should've called it a shifter assembly instead.

Thats weird, did you install a short shifter? When I was putting in my SS I originally had the ball socket upside down, and when I was tightening the bolts down it would pop the ball out of the socket.

mike-2ptzero
08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
The shifter base is all plastic. This would be a great time to buy a JHM short shifter which replaces all the plastic parts with metal.

BTW in your pictures is the round pin still in the shifter base which keeps it all from pulling out?

Militant-Grunt
08-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Haha thats just some photo I found on Google image to illustrate what Im talking about, I have the stock beige shifter. I hate short shifters though they do feel like crap.

aytheory
08-24-2007, 12:13 PM
IIRC - there is a metal ring holding that plastic ball down - if it pops out you should be missing that piece

MikeWasHere05
08-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Haha thats just some photo I found on Google image to illustrate what Im talking about, I have the stock beige shifter. I hate short shifters though they do feel like crap.
Have you ever driven a car with one? When you aren't actually driving the car, many shifters (mine included) feel very grindy and not smooth at all. When you're driving they feel much better, kinda feel like you just hit the shifter and it pulls itself into the gear you wanted. I didn't really care about it initially, so I just waited for a deal to pop up. Got a V&S shifter for $55 shipped in the classifieds [:)]

Militant-Grunt
08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
IIRC - there is a metal ring holding that plastic ball down - if it pops out you should be missing that piece

Thanks ill check it out, its most likely another trip down to Anchor Audi.

mike-2ptzero
08-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Oh didn't know that but I guess you can look on yours if it is still there.

I felt the exact same way about short shifters that were in other peoples cars that I would drive, but I can tell you that the JHM shifter feels like butter while shifting and this is because it was designed from scratch not by just using a metal shifter into the stock plastic base which is what causes that notchy feeling.

Militant-Grunt
08-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Have you ever driven a car with one? When you aren't actually driving the car, many shifters (mine included) feel very grindy and not smooth at all. When you're driving they feel much better, kinda feel like you just hit the shifter and it pulls itself into the gear you wanted. I didn't really care about it initially, so I just waited for a deal to pop up. Got a V&S shifter for $55 shipped in the classifieds [:)]

I have driven a stage 2 S4 with a short shifter, I hated it, I think that the narrower throws give more room for error.

Militant-Grunt
08-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh didn't know that but I guess you can look on yours if it is still there.

I felt the exact same way about short shifters that were in other peoples cars that I would drive, but I can tell you that the JHM shifter feels like butter while shifting and this is because it was designed from scratch not by just using a metal shifter into the stock plastic base which is what causes that notchy feeling.

How much do they run for?

In any case it would be something to look at when I get a job haha.

mike-2ptzero
08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
How much do they run for?

In any case it would be something to look at when I get a job haha.

Well the JHM SS is not cheap thats for sure.

www.audishifter.com

Matt@JHM
08-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I've spent countless hours co-engineering the JHM shifter with Jason - in fact it's the reason I bought my audi. Your whole rubber assemply that holds the plastic ball is so worn out that it just pops out. I can't imagine how sloppy that must feel.

Like Mike said, JHM's kit completely overhauls the shifting assembly. Here is a picture:

http://jhmotorsports.com/forum/arctivavant/182324883-O-1.jpg

You won't pop that baby out, trust me - I make them. If you have any other quests PM jaybquick@JHM, he's an advertiser on the forum.

dukez
08-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Theres a GB for those shifters right now in the GB section above. Definitely check it out, its a good buy, i vouch for it too. It's less of a short shifter and more of a better shifter. I have the same feelings for short(ed) shifters myself, this one retains the stock shifter height. So [up]

aytheory
08-24-2007, 05:31 PM
if i had the bling - that shifter set would be mines - but i think its like 400 dollars to overhaul the gear box -