PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Removal Tool?

Oricle
08-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Replacing my axle, and need to find a place that has a ball joint removal tool. I read a couple threads were some don't fit? Does anyone have a part number, or anything on one that works from a place like NAPA?

SoFresh
08-24-2007, 11:04 AM
I think you can rent one from Autozone, they charge you, then when you return it, they give you a 100% refund, so technically its a free rental.

Oricle
08-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I think you can rent one from Autozone, they charge you, then when you return it, they give you a 100% refund, so technically its a free rental.

Thanks.
I'll see if NAPA rents tools, if not I'll run to autozone. Picking my axle up from napa and just wanted to save a trip.

ct1.8t4me
08-24-2007, 11:27 AM
I just used a small 4" puller that I bought for $20 at Advanced Auto. Now this was the ball joint on the rear axle - not sure if that makes a difference.

My question, though - and I posted this in another thread but it was lost, is how do you put them back on? When I went to put the ball joint back together, the stud just turned with the lock-nut. I had to put some sideways pressure on the joint with a c-clamp to get it so that it would not turn. I looked to see if the stud was machined for an allen key or anything to make it easier.

Poopie
08-24-2007, 11:34 AM
front or rear axel? I think I can remove mine with out removing the ball joint.

bellofello
08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
on the front axles for a quattro, didn't use a tool to take em off lol, it's called some elbow grease and a hammer lol.... rears probably the same.

took me about half an hour per cv joint.

Oricle
08-24-2007, 12:33 PM
front or rear axel? I think I can remove mine with out removing the ball joint.

FWD front axle. Every axle I've done I've always removed ball joints, tie rod, ect.
After looking at the write up, it seems I should be able to break the collar bolt(17mm Allen Wrench which wont be in until 3:30 Ugh!), and undo the 12 pt bits, and slide it out without removing any fo the things.

Anyone have any experience on this? If so did you remove the ball joints and all that, or just have room to wobble the axle out.

Poopie
08-24-2007, 12:45 PM
If you undo the pinch bolt and release the tie rods from the up right you should be able to slide it out that way after getting the triple square bolts off the tranny end of the axle.

Oricle
08-24-2007, 12:46 PM
If you undo the pinch bolt and release the tie rods from the up right you should be able to slide it out that way after getting the triple square bolts off the tranny end of the axle.

Ok sweet.
I just am waiting on the 17mm allen otherwise this would have been done hours ago.

Poopie
08-24-2007, 12:53 PM
make sure you have a 6ft breaker bar. Start drenching the bolt in PB blaster. Heat it up with a torch, then spray cold water on it if it doesn't want to give. It is a pain in the ass to get that bolt off. Tomritt used a 9ft pole in his barn to get mine off.

Oricle
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
make sure you have a 6ft breaker bar. Start drenching the bolt in PB blaster. Heat it up with a torch, then spray cold water on it if it doesn't want to give. It is a pain in the ass to get that bolt off. Tomritt used a 9ft pole in his barn to get mine off.

Thanks.
Tore up the upper control arm boot trying to get one out of the pinch bolt.
This isn't my day.

Poopie
08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
if it tore that easily its probably time to replace it anyways.

Oricle
08-24-2007, 01:16 PM
if it tore that easily its probably time to replace it anyways.

True.

Oricle
08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Was making good time once I got the wrench. Pulled my old axle out, and went to toss in my new one. I've always either rebooted, or ordered remaned ones, where you just toss the boot on with grease.

I got this one, it's brand new and it isn't prepacked with grease of course except one side. All the boots are on it, with the one time use clamps, clamped down as well. In the picture it made it seem like the metal area will split open(the ball bearing area).

Oricle
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
This is offically the most pissed I've been at my car. I was close to taking my crow bar and bashing it through the windshield, so I decided it was time for a break.

I can't get the upper foward ball joint back into the knuckle. I tried for over an hour, every different trick and every different position. Unbolted the tierod, and the rear upper ball joint, and tried it that way. It goes into the rear pinch bolt hole fine, but not the front one.

dave80jc
08-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Take a screwdriver and try to pry in the gap on the one that you are having trouble with. Also did you make sure that you took the bolt completely out? You know that it slides through the notch in the upper ball joints right?

This might be completely obvious, but just thought I'd mention it.

Oricle
08-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Take a screwdriver and try to pry in the gap on the one that you are having trouble with. Also did you make sure that you took the bolt completely out? You know that it slides through the notch in the upper ball joints right?

This might be completely obvious, but just thought I'd mention it.

Yep. All that is good.
It's just I can't get the front upper ball joint back in it's place. I didn't have a problem with any of the other ball joints.