PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about hooking up an Ipod to my factory Bose system (pros enter)

StreetUrchin
08-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey guys, so I am looking to hook up my Ipod to my car (obviously). I want to be able to use the Ipod itself to control the songs, etc (so not interested in an icelink or anything similar). Since I am going to be using the ipod to control the system, I need to have easy access to it.

I want to preserve the quality of the audio and want it to not get staticy in tunnels (so I assume no FM transmitter) since I live in LA with a lot of tunnels!

Now if the research I have done has led me to believe that there are two options -

1. A connector that runs from my EMPTY 6-disc changer open port in the trunk (they call that an auxillery cable right?) to the radio.

2. A connector that runs from the radio to the ipod.

Not sure if this is correct or not, just what info I have gleaned from reading topics.

So first, how does this trunk-to-radio setup work and how does it eventually attach to the ipod?

Secondly, which connectors run from the radio to the ipod and charge it but are not FM transmitters? I know there is the Blitzsafe M-Link1 (http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/AUDI_MLINK1_V1B.html) but that is a transmitter, otherwise it sounds like just what I am looking for. Correct me if I am wrong but with this product I am looking at a sound quality loss correct?

There is also the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play (http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-DP-1US-Controller/dp/B000BT97UO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-6419880-1484651?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187850730&sr=1-1) option. Since it is only $63 it is one of the cheaper options, but not many people on AZ seem to use this one.

So based on what I am looking for (ipod-control, no quality loss) what would you guys suggest?

Thanks as always

*tips hat*

matt_mcmhn
08-23-2007, 02:57 PM
You can use the iPod to control the radio with the IceLink. I do it, it's a great option and very easy to install. Even while you have the IceLink set so that everything is controlled through the iPod you can still just skip to tracks with the radio. It's a very handy setup, and I got mine for $35 shipped on eBay

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 04:28 PM
my girlfriend bought me a drive+play. it's actually a very cool design and works well. If you hardwire it with quality stuff, not the cheap-o wire included (i bought monster cable audi 2 to1 thing) there is really no loss. Not only that, but I can keep my ipod safely locked in the glove compartment and hide the screen behind my county registration and inspection stickers. I ran a fuse tap and it worked excellently. The only issue with it I have is that 1. there's no good place to mount the remote control if you're manual and 2. there is no option to play all songs by an artist, you can only play songs by albums

nizmosx
08-23-2007, 04:31 PM
get an icelink cable which are cheap on ebay. if not spend a 100 bucks and have ansen rig up a switch for you to toggle between your cd changer and ipod. I forget what ansen's audizine name is but i know he hangs out at A1 autobody in huntington beach. I dont know how far santa clarita is for you.

StreetUrchin
08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
You can use the iPod to control the radio with the IceLink. I do it, it's a great option and very easy to install. Even while you have the IceLink set so that everything is controlled through the iPod you can still just skip to tracks with the radio. It's a very handy setup, and I got mine for $35 shipped on eBay

Word? Cause I had an icelink installed in my A4 1.5 years ago and I HATED it, was laggy and I thought it was worthless since I spent like $200 on it...but if for $35 I can have it function solely as a connector cable and use the ipod to control things I may be interested...is it laggy at all?

my girlfriend bought me a drive+play. it's actually a very cool design and works well. If you hardwire it with quality stuff, not the cheap-o wire included (i bought monster cable audi 2 to1 thing) there is really no loss. Not only that, but I can keep my ipod safely locked in the glove compartment and hide the screen behind my county registration and inspection stickers. I ran a fuse tap and it worked excellently. The only issue with it I have is that 1. there's no good place to mount the remote control if you're manual and 2. there is no option to play all songs by an artist, you can only play songs by albums

Didn't know this about the play songs by albums part. You CAN still play individual songs though right? So the only difference is you can't play all songs by an artist correct?

get an icelink cable which are cheap on ebay. if not spend a 100 bucks and have ansen rig up a switch for you to toggle between your cd changer and ipod. I forget what ansen's audizine name is but i know he hangs out at A1 autobody in huntington beach. I dont know how far santa clarita is for you.

Actually I don't have the cd changer, so I don't need a switch at all, how would you hook it up if you don't care about the switch?

matt_mcmhn
08-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Word? Cause I had an icelink installed in my A4 1.5 years ago and I HATED it, was laggy and I thought it was worthless since I spent like $200 on it...but if for $35 I can have it function solely as a connector cable and use the ipod to control things I may be interested...is it laggy at all?

The only time I notice it lag is when you use the radio controls to switch between tracks. When I'm using the iPod to control everything I don't get any lag at all.

StreetUrchin
08-24-2007, 09:04 AM
The only time I notice it lag is when you use the radio controls to switch between tracks. When I'm using the iPod to control everything I don't get any lag at all.

Thanks, that's what I am probably going to go with then.

The1amRadio
08-24-2007, 02:57 PM
yes, that is correct.