PDA

View Full Version : stealth valentine one radar

4ringAR
08-22-2007, 10:53 PM
well i was thinking, and i know there is the valentine one remote mount, and the thing that allows the info to be displayed on trip computer; but i have always thought it weird to go through all that trouble and still have the valentine one plainly visible by the rear view mirror.

so my question is, has anyone done a true stealth mount of the V1 where you cant plainly see the V1?

ahvier
08-23-2007, 08:26 AM
to get the most out of a V1, it needs to be mounted as high as possible and both front and rear of the unit need unobstructed "views". although concealing it would be sweet, I think it would hamper performance. I have hardwired a V1 with the stealth unit in both of my audis and when the stealth unit is on, you really don't notice the main unit. to others, its some sort of black box near my visor, if they notice it at all. there are true concealed detectors, but iirc they cost $$$. check out K40 or I think Bel makes a new one.

biketsai
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
yea, in a way that would defeat the purpose of both sensors.
UNLESS you put it on your roof?

4ringAR
08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
UNLESS you put it on your roof?

this is kind of what i was thinking about. you could get a box like this (http://www.legalspeeding.com/products.htm#radarbox) and then somehow attach it to a roof rack behind the fairing.

i also thought about building it into the sunroof crank cover(the removable cover behind the domelights and sunroof control) or something.

onemoremile
08-23-2007, 09:41 AM
I've been thinking about this for years. Almost did it in my old Jetta. Extend the front and rear sensors with cat-6 or whatever works best. Front sensor goes on the back of the rear view mirror and the rear sensor goes in the 3rd brake light or in one the back up lights.

Militant-Grunt
08-23-2007, 09:46 AM
I keep mine mounted by the rear view mirror very high up. I love that device.

StreetUrchin
08-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Just remember that tint effects the effectiveness of the unit, the higher the tint the more it restricts performance.

ahvier
08-23-2007, 09:51 AM
I've been thinking about this for years. Almost did it in my old Jetta. Extend the front and rear sensors with cat-6 or whatever works best. Front sensor goes on the back of the rear view mirror and the rear sensor goes in the 3rd brake light or in one the back up lights.

hmmm . . . that would work and would be super clean. any negative effects from taking the sensors out of the casing? i thought the casing shielded them somehow from unwanted signals.

sixfiveoh
08-23-2007, 09:55 AM
If you mount the sensors near the windows, it won't hinder performance. You can have the display wherever you want as long as the sensors can pick up the signal.

Check out this guy's setup...

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/v1remote/dsc03148.jpg

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/s4/v1remote/

4ringAR
08-23-2007, 10:02 AM
i dont know if all of you read my post correctly. i know there are plenty of applications for integrating the display of the V1 and the controls into the car, but you are still left with the valentine one unit sitting by your rear view mirror. so my question was are there any good stealth mountings(like on the roof) of the actual valentine one unit?

sixfiveoh
08-23-2007, 10:05 AM
The actual reading unit needs to be in view of your front and rear windshield. I guess you could throw it on your roof, but that would look like shit. Unless someone like fabbed a little fin that could go over it. Which still would look like shit IMO. Just learn to drive right at the right moments. I've never had any problem with the law and I drive like a jackass most of the time. I've never seen the need for a radar. *knock on wood*

witwer4444
11-29-2010, 07:12 AM
bump, sorry to bring it back.

-:vw:-
11-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Outside the car on the roof? Did you want to make it really easy for someone to steal or....?