PDA

View Full Version : Totalled... Gimme the down-low

The1amRadio
08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I read the thread on AW about totalling an A4, but I'm seeking a few other view points and answers to my specific questions. My car, today, was officially totalled. They got damage up to $6900 and stopped. KBB on my car says it's worth $8,200 stock. I have read that people get 30-50% back on mods, so I counted up the costs of my mods, new, and I have a total of just over $4000. If I assume on the high side, that's $2000 added onto my $8k. But, if I've got $10k in bluebook value + mods, would that NOT total my car? I actually WANT my car to be totaled, so I'm not sure if I should report all of that or not. Anyone totaled their modified A4? If you've got some advice, surely let me know.

A4_2.8tuner
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
if you WANT your car to be totalled, then dont say anything if they've already declared it totalled...makes sense to me...?

onemoremile
08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
You'll have to have an independent appraisal if you want to add mod money. The insurance company will most likely ignore them since they didn't raise the premium. Some policies have riders that cover mods.

The1amRadio
08-22-2007, 07:30 PM
i'm actually not going through my own insurance company (nationwide), I'm going through the other driver's (state farm.) something about me paying the deductible up front, then getting it back once nationwide sues state farm doesn't seem too hot to me.

Starting
08-22-2007, 07:43 PM
take 8200 and run if they are giving it to you. a 97 is worth about 4 k right now

The1amRadio
08-22-2007, 07:53 PM
4k?! i doubt that low. But we're going by KBB, so I'm not sure what they'll give me realistically. I'll probably get our lawyer in on it to help get me a little more.

AUD-A4
08-22-2007, 07:55 PM
^^agreed,thats a very good amount in my opinion.i got 8k for my 98 w/ mods.including a 1200 exhaust(miltek)

aytheory
08-22-2007, 07:57 PM
take that money - and buy your car back - and use that money to fix it up yourself

Revolution02
08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Take the money and try to get the mods off before you give the title over. You would get more money if you sell the mods on AZ.

The1amRadio
08-22-2007, 08:10 PM
i've pulled a few things, but i don't have a turbo to put back in it and i doubt i'll have time to swap the turbo any how. the GIAC chip will definitely be up for sale here very soon, FPR, vent boost gage pulled already. I'm not sure if i'll pull the wheels since the tires are worn, i may just keep the stock swings which have more tread. Anyone got any idea on what i ought to do about anything else on it? I have yet to install the rotors/pads so i'll hang onto them until i see if i'm getting something they'll fit on or not.

GramCracker
08-22-2007, 08:53 PM
With my totaled car money, I got an '01 for $6,400. Pretty sweet, hunh?

The1amRadio
08-22-2007, 08:57 PM
from rosti, eh? I've already PM'd him actually.

On a side note... anyone have any feedback on launching, say, a stage 3 GTi? I assume at 300whp 1st is useless unless you're really easy on it?

GramCracker
08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Yea, from Rosati. He is the man, and definitely the way to go for a new car. He can get you what you want.

The1amRadio
08-22-2007, 09:07 PM
i think 1.8T may be my route then. I'd love to buy a stage 2 GTi and have fun, but i feel like FWD from AWD is a nice size downgrade when launching. Hell, for that price, I could be stage 2 in a month anyway.

SoFresh
08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Yea, from Rosati. He is the man, and definitely the way to go for a new car. He can get you what you want.

I emailed Rosati about helping with a new car.... he never responded.... that was about 3 months ago I believe, still nothing, oh well[rolleyes]

Tiluleshpingen
08-22-2007, 10:26 PM
take 8200 and run if they are giving it to you. a 97 is worth about 4 k right now

not if u have 108k miles on the clock

A4Dit
08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
I just went through this in the past 2 weeks and finally got it settled today. I had an '03 with 39k miles on it. I had about 4 grand in mods and got royally screwed. I was hit by a guy that ran a red light on August 2nd. My car KBB'ed for $19,900, Geico did there own adjustment and came up with $17,800, the car has $16,000 in damages and they would not add my mods. They let me take my wheels and my full exhaust and only because I had stock parts to put back on.They would not let me pull anything else off and they told me if I did they would take action against me. I now am getting a check for about $7000 back because of the loan I had left on it. I got screwed out of the 8 payments I made cause I had the car for 8 months. All together I am estimating a loss of about $3500. Sucks to own a modified car.

A4Dit
08-22-2007, 10:48 PM
The car in my profile is the one that was totalled. I loved that car and Geico had no compassion what so ever. RIP audi.

juju4uofa
08-23-2007, 07:12 AM
You should read this http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140423&highlight=finally

The driver who hit me also had State Farm. By all means, ask to buy your car back. My car was worth $11,500 and they only wanted $1,200 to buy it back. If the car cannot be fixed, then just part it out. You'll still come out ahead. If you have any more specific questions, PM me.

biketsai
08-23-2007, 07:17 AM
state farm are the biggest thieves.
They totalled out my car and didnt wanna give me shit for it.
Just dont settle for less

lml999
08-23-2007, 08:13 AM
state farm are the biggest thieves.
They totalled out my car and didnt wanna give me shit for it.
Just dont settle for less

Get a public insurance adjuster before you talk with any insurance company. The PIA works for you, will work to get you the most possible $ for your car. They know their way around the system, and are far less expensive than a lawyer would be.

akielb
08-23-2007, 08:58 AM
If they guy's insurance refuses to pay for everyting %100 then go to court and sue him, not the insurance company, he will then have to go back to the company and try to get the money. IMO

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I just went through this in the past 2 weeks and finally got it settled today. I had an '03 with 39k miles on it. I had about 4 grand in mods and got royally screwed. I was hit by a guy that ran a red light on August 2nd. My car KBB'ed for $19,900, Geico did there own adjustment and came up with $17,800, the car has $16,000 in damages and they would not add my mods. They let me take my wheels and my full exhaust and only because I had stock parts to put back on.They would not let me pull anything else off and they told me if I did they would take action against me. I now am getting a check for about $7000 back because of the loan I had left on it. I got screwed out of the 8 payments I made cause I had the car for 8 months. All together I am estimating a loss of about $3500. Sucks to own a modified car.

You tried to swap that stuff out after settling didn't you? You're allowed to bring it back to stock while you own it. Never hand over the title before you've got EVERYTHING worked out, otherwise you're just fighting a losing battle.

Yes, I will be contacting a PIA this week. If I can get a car for cheaper than what they give me, I will be buying my car back, if nothing else, for the k04, DV, SPP fan and grill. I'll probably just end up borrowing parts from it as needed as it collects dust in a back corner of my barn.

juju4uofa
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
You aren't gonna get much money for your mods. End of story!!!

As far as State Farm screwing you over. I payed $11,500 for my car with 26,500 miles on it. A year and a half later with 54,000 miles on it they gave me $11,482. In my experience, they treated me well.

A4Dit
08-23-2007, 09:52 AM
You tried to swap that stuff out after settling didn't you? You're allowed to bring it back to stock while you own it. Never hand over the title before you've got EVERYTHING worked out, otherwise you're just fighting a losing battle.

Yes, I will be contacting a PIA this week. If I can get a car for cheaper than what they give me, I will be buying my car back, if nothing else, for the k04, DV, SPP fan and grill. I'll probably just end up borrowing parts from it as needed as it collects dust in a back corner of my barn.

All of this happened before the claim was settled. I met the adjuster at my dads shop where I had it towed to, she totaled it on the spot just from body and subframe damage. She did not even look at the suspension and broken rack & pinion. They did not screw me really, I understand there point. They are paying for it, therefore they don't want you taking shit off and depreciating the value that a salvage yard would give them.They let me take any part off that was a mod; or that i had a replacement part for. If I had for example an FMIC and no replacement they would not let me take it. YOU WILL lose money on a modded car if it becomes totalled, end of story unless you can buy it back and fix it. My car could not be fixed. Here are some pics to show you the extent.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/Jimmy379/TotalledAudiA4006.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/Jimmy379/TotalledAudiA4015.jpg

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
You aren't gonna get much money for your mods. End of story!!!

As far as State Farm screwing you over. I payed $11,500 for my car with 26,500 miles on it. A year and a half later with 54,000 miles on it they gave me $11,482. In my experience, they treated me well.

that's probably blue book on it, or close to it, so that's decent. Sounds like you got a steal on it to begin with though

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 01:49 PM
oddly, as it turns out, there weren't any "public" adjusters. eveyrone in town works strictly for insurance. new plan?

Quattro
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
honestly, looks totaled to me.

my opinion, is: take your mods off and give to them stock. Typically, you dont get anything for mods unless they were included in your insurance. When my car was totaled, they didnt want to give me money for any mods.

akielb
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
the thing is its the other guys insurance - they need to fork it over - get in touch with a lawyer

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 04:20 PM
the thing is its the other guys insurance - they need to fork it over - get in touch with a lawyer

heh... agreed. They *SAID* we should have an "offer" tomorrow by about noon.

lude2euroa4
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
All of this happened before the claim was settled. I met the adjuster at my dads shop where I had it towed to, she totaled it on the spot just from body and subframe damage. She did not even look at the suspension and broken rack & pinion. They did not screw me really, I understand there point. They are paying for it, therefore they don't want you taking shit off and depreciating the value that a salvage yard would give them.They let me take any part off that was a mod; or that i had a replacement part for. If I had for example an FMIC and no replacement they would not let me take it. YOU WILL lose money on a modded car if it becomes totalled, end of story unless you can buy it back and fix it. My car could not be fixed. Here are some pics to show you the extent.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/Jimmy379/TotalledAudiA4006.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a302/Jimmy379/TotalledAudiA4015.jpg

wow your europlate is so original how did you ever come up with that...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/mnieroda28/IMG_3744.jpg

f*ckin theif[rolleyes]

a4fann
08-23-2007, 05:17 PM
wow your europlate is so original how did you ever come up with that...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/mnieroda28/IMG_3744.jpg

f*ckin theif[rolleyes]
[rolleyes] cry me a river, the same euro plate oh no, on a car you don't even have any more.

lude2euroa4
08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
the euro pate stayed with me, the transition will happen as soon as i get an audi worth putting it on.

i have copyright to that phrase im calling johnny cochran

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I heard he's awful... OJ was innocent, anyway. Otherwise he would've written "Because I did it"

A4Dit
08-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Oh Big f*cking deal! I never even saw your car when I ordered that plate. Actually I had that on my old car as my plate-ENVYME- when I got my A4 i just made it different cause peole were always checking my car out. Like A4fann said cry me a river. If I had your wheels would I be a thief? Jesus, grow up.

nivek
08-23-2007, 06:49 PM

Yeah I personally think that until you agree with the insurance A-Holes on a settlement it is still your car. Take off what you want as long as you can replace with stock items. I personally don't see a need to ask them bastards if I can take mods off they aren't going to compensate me for. Also if you can get it towed to a location that is good for you like your home or your dad's shop crap do what you want until you have settled. By the way Kelly Blue Book blows they are always to high normally my Credit Union goes by the NADA but if the insurance dickwads go by KBB thats cool.

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 06:52 PM
amazingly, kbb and nada are only $300 different on my car.

A4Dit
08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Geico went by ccc which is used by insurance companies and designed to fuck you out of the price your car is really worth.

The1amRadio
08-23-2007, 07:08 PM
yeah, ouch, i've heard they're like 32% cheaper than KBB/NADA/Fair market value