PDA

View Full Version : locating the reverse switch wire..

Beemer832
08-22-2007, 06:28 AM
where is the reverse light switch wire/cable that connects to the tranny? After the tranny swap, I can see the plug, but the wire is no where to be seen. I am wondering if this was cut, or squashed, or trapped somewhere? I don'tknow where to begin to look as to where this cable comes into the engine bay, or into the tranny area. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Josh

MikeWasHere05
08-22-2007, 07:35 AM
where is the reverse light switch wire/cable that connects to the tranny? After the tranny swap, I can see the plug, but the wire is no where to be seen. I am wondering if this was cut, or squashed, or trapped somewhere? I don'tknow where to begin to look as to where this cable comes into the engine bay, or into the tranny area. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Josh

On my 98 Quattro 5spd there were only two connectors, the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the RPM/Backup multisensor. If I remember right there was a shroud type deal where both of the sensor wires went into.

Beemer832
08-22-2007, 07:51 AM
there has to be the reverse light sensor/switch which turns the back up lights on when your in reverse. i see the unit on the tranny, just no connectors to plug it in.

josh

MikeWasHere05
08-22-2007, 07:59 AM
there has to be the reverse light sensor/switch which turns the back up lights on when your in reverse. i see the unit on the tranny, just no connectors to plug it in.

josh

Right, there are a total of three sensors in the transmission. The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), the RPM sensor and the backup light sensor. The vehicle speed sensor has its own connector, while the RPM and backup light share one.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9599/vssax7.png
Arrow A is the VSS.
Arrow B is referred to in the bentley manual as "back-up light connector (multi-function sensor)"

Beemer832
08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
ok perfect, the back up light sensor, i know where this sensor is, but the wire that the lighting system connects to is nowhere to be fonud. So where is that part of the lighting harness??