PDA

View Full Version : GIAC chip upgrade?

XrichTHEdudeX
08-22-2007, 02:57 AM
how difficult is this to install and how is it going to affect the reliability of my car since it is my daily driver and all. they claim it shifts .8 seconds faster than it does stock. my concern would be that this puts much more stress on the car.

thanks guys

The Whale
08-22-2007, 03:58 AM
how difficult is this to install and how is it going to affect the reliability of my car since it is my daily driver and all. they claim it shifts .8 seconds faster than it does stock. my concern would be that this puts much more stress on the car.

thanks guys

okay....there are a couple - problems - with your post questions....

The GIAC chip is extremely easy to install....since there is no need to install anything but software. Go to your local tuner shop, and all they do is connect a cable (vagcom/flashloader connection) and reflash the file onto the ecu - it takes about 2 1/2 minutes (if it goes slowly [up]). If you are physically removing the chip to send it in for reflashing, it may be a bit more complicated. While merely a software flash for the $500 range seems expensive, it is without a doubt the best performance upgrade for our cars (I say our cars especially since they are turbo cars).

Shifting time....if you have a manual, the time shift time is up to you. Tip - I don't believe the shifting time is affected by the chip anyway. Then again I could be wrong...my car doesn't have gears (damn CVT [headbang]).

And to answer your final question, yes it puts more stress on the car..... but so does driving with more than one passenger and/or driving on those amazingly well maintained PA roads...

Bottom line: Buy the GIAC chip, loads of torque- and a great performance upgrade for the money (better with the FXk03/ BI programing and 380cc+ injectors)

Oh, and for future reference... search before posting a question that is answered on practically a daily basis on this forum....

akielb
08-22-2007, 05:23 AM
He's talking about a TIP chip. Second you don't even know what year he has so you don't know that all he needs is a flash, if he is 98-99.5 he will need a soldered chip for a regular GIAC chip. Fro the TIP chip you have to remove the TCU from under the passenger side carpet get a chip soldered in Not very many members have TIP chips - the cost to benifit ratio is just not there - I would say no unless you are going to get a bigger turbo soon.

The1amRadio
08-22-2007, 07:53 AM
okay....there are a couple - problems - with your post questions....

The GIAC chip is extremely easy to install....since there is no need to install anything but software. Go to your local tuner shop, and all they do is connect a cable (vagcom/flashloader connection) and reflash the file onto the ecu - it takes about 2 1/2 minutes (if it goes slowly [up]). If you are physically removing the chip to send it in for reflashing, it may be a bit more complicated. While merely a software flash for the $500 range seems expensive, it is without a doubt the best performance upgrade for our cars (I say our cars especially since they are turbo cars).

Shifting time....if you have a manual, the time shift time is up to you. Tip - I don't believe the shifting time is affected by the chip anyway. Then again I could be wrong...my car doesn't have gears (damn CVT [headbang]).

And to answer your final question, yes it puts more stress on the car..... but so does driving with more than one passenger and/or driving on those amazingly well maintained PA roads...

Bottom line: Buy the GIAC chip, loads of torque- and a great performance upgrade for the money (better with the FXk03/ BI programing and 380cc+ injectors)

Oh, and for future reference... search before posting a question that is answered on practically a daily basis on this forum....

why they hell did you buy a CVT?! I didn't even know audi made one.

BUY IT. It's night and day, absolutely a great upgrade, most HP you'll get per dollar if you ask me.

AudiRacerS4
08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
i have a tip chip on my car and have noticed a nice increase in the feel of shifting and it has eliminated all of my gear hunting problems in 4th and 5th gear under heavy load and the shifting is crisper and faster

tamadrumr88
08-22-2007, 08:58 AM
pm'd you

The Whale
08-22-2007, 10:55 AM
He's talking about a TIP chip. Second you don't even know what year he has so you don't know that all he needs is a flash, if he is 98-99.5 he will need a soldered chip for a regular GIAC chip. Fro the TIP chip you have to remove the TCU from under the passenger side carpet get a chip soldered in Not very many members have TIP chips - the cost to benifit ratio is just not there - I would say no unless you are going to get a bigger turbo soon.

I know what he is talking about, and as for the years--
That is exactly the reason I mentioned that if he has to send the chip in to get reflashed (meaning it is being added to the car after it has been flashed, or getting one to replace the stock one) then it might be more complicated.....

But that's a good point, without the ease of use of the com flash, the benefit of this mod really dies

The Whale
08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
why they hell did you buy a CVT?! I didn't even know audi made one.

BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOT! [headbang]
[:D]