PDA

View Full Version : Long European Plates. Legal?

airy52
08-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Can I? and how do I? put those long rectangle european plates on my car, im thinking it wont work because i have square liscense plater holders on frnt and back. but can i somehow and if i bought new bumpers is it legal?

Mystthebird
08-21-2007, 10:08 PM
depends here in DE we dont have front plates its cool the run one in the front. any where you go will probly give you shit for having one in the back unless the US plate it over it.

to put on in the back you will need a euro trunk. the front pick a spot and drill away. or zip tie it to the bumper grills thats what i would do.

4ringAR
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
any where you go will probly give you shit for having one in the back unless the US plate it over it.

no, they still pulled me over for having it under my us plate.

if you are going to attach it, id say getting a proper european plate frame would be the best way to go.

Durkin
08-21-2007, 10:43 PM
i read somewhere a while ago about using high strength magnets behind the front bumper to hold the plate on... but that was for a US plate to avoid drilling or 3m tape... i think..

4ringAR
08-21-2007, 11:03 PM
i read somewhere a while ago about using high strength magnets behind the front bumper to hold the plate on... but that was for a US plate to avoid drilling or 3m tape... i think..

http://audizine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1184880&postcount=21

Mystthebird
08-21-2007, 11:04 PM
never heard that. most of the time the dealer wil drill away and then your stuck with it like me

OverSpun
08-21-2007, 11:07 PM
just use 3M double sided 5 pound foam tape. Drilling is a bad idea.

Mad_Audi
08-22-2007, 12:40 AM

thats what i did[up]

CaSp3r9
08-22-2007, 01:17 AM

x2. I'm no longer running my Euro plate though. I had it in the front and got pulled over in Portland, OR for it. I was issued a $97 fix-it ticket for not having an Oregon plate on the front and a $242 for "Illegal display/switched plates" or some bullshit like that. I got them both dropped but it was a pain in the ass, especially because I was less than 2 miles from my house. [rolleyes]

AudiRacerS4
08-22-2007, 08:32 AM
mine is held on my 3M double stick tape and has been on for a year no problem

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/tooxtreme8813/IMG_0600_2copy.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/tooxtreme8813/IMG_0601_2copy.jpg

LEGO
08-22-2007, 08:34 AM
I got pulled over for having mine on, the third day after I put it on! But I've been driving without a front plate for over 6 months and they don't pull me over for that. I guess it depends on the cop too.

AudiRacerS4
08-22-2007, 08:35 AM
ive gotten haggled more with no front plate on then with the euro plate on. But like you said it depends on the cop Ive been pulled over several time just for the cop to ask about the plate and what country it was from, the other day I got pulled over because the two cops in the car were arguing over what country the plate was from so they pulled me over to ask it all depends

audisportnut
08-22-2007, 10:16 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k87/cloy_03/rear-1.jpg

euro trunk FTW!!!!!

A4 Effort
08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I know of one AZ'r personally that runs a euro tag in the front and put his actual tag number on it. I thought it was a great idea and i was thinking about doing the same.

While it's still illegal none the less, maybe the cop would let me slide

AudiSport12
08-22-2007, 10:47 AM
3M 5lb tape FTW. ive never had a problem with my plate (probably because GA doesnt require a front plate)

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF1413.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/kyleconn/DSCF1428.jpg

LEGO
08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
It looks soo good with the euro plate on! Man, I wish I could put mine back on, but I'm sure that I'm going to get pulled over for it and then they will try to give me a ticket for any other little crap they find. My friend got pulled over for having a clear license plate cover on the back of his car.

LEGO
08-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Another thing I noticed is that when I had my bumper with the holes in it for the front plate, I'd get pulled over for no front plate. Now that I got a bumper with no holes for the front plate since I bought it from a guy in oregon, I don't get pulled over for it.

Mystthebird
08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
you get pulled over for the clear covers becasue if you run a red light and they try to take your pic it glars it so they cant fine you.

LEGO
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I kinda figured it was because of the glare. The funny this is that I got pulled over for having a tinted one on the back of mine, and I told the cop that they just sold them at schucks. He told me to go back to the store and tell them that they're selling an illegal item and get my money back. As soon as he pulled me over and told me the reason, I just wanted to ask him if crime was low. :)

A4 Effort
08-22-2007, 11:15 AM
^^ Myth busted

custoeuroplates
06-22-2010, 11:51 AM
We sell customized European license plates that are made in a precision factory in Berlin, Germany that process license plates for German car collectors. The site is www.customeuropeanplates.com. We've made 1000's of custom plates. These place come with universal mounts that will fit into the existing holes that the US license plate makes in your car's bumper. We also sell the mounts by themselves as well. In some states it is required to have a valid front license plate however, none of our customers have ever reported being pulled over for having front license plates that are European. The plates are easy to put on and the mounts and license plates are completely authentic. Hope this is some helpful information!

biketsai
06-22-2010, 11:52 AM
We sell customized European license plates that are made in a precision factory in Berlin, Germany that process license plates for German car collectors. The site is www.customeuropeanplates.com. We've made 1000's of custom plates. These place come with universal mounts that will fit into the existing holes that the US license plate makes in your car's bumper. We also sell the mounts by themselves as well. In some states it is required to have a valid front license plate however, none of our customers have ever reported being pulled over for having front license plates that are European. The plates are easy to put on and the mounts and license plates are completely authentic. Hope this is some helpful information!

www.Autoplates.com gets my recommendation.

Coopa
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
If your state doesn't require a front plate you probably won't be ticketed for a euro plate up front.

marknad113
06-22-2010, 01:04 PM
If your state doesn't require a front plate you probably won't be ticketed for a euro plate up front.

you will never get pulled over for a vanity plate in your own state if they do not require dual plates. We dont need them in PA, and there are vanity plates everywhere

and a bump for customeuroplates.com they are cheap, ship fast and look sweet!

rAphb0y
06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
I ran mine with the actual numbers from my MASS license plate .. got pulled over a couple times for it but thankfully the cop wasn't an ass and let me slide saying it was actually a good idea to run the same numbers.

keeganhartman
06-22-2010, 02:41 PM
I run no front and a euro under my rear in Md. I'm not going to mention the issue thing because i will jinx myself. A lot depends on how anal the police are around you.