PDA

View Full Version : Just say - NO to atp manfiolds, inlet, and most of the stuff the make except turbos

aytheory
08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
atp stuff does not fit right
atp stuff does not look right
atp stuff also like to crack

http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1187750551.JPG

<3Quattro
08-21-2007, 07:50 PM
that sucks dude.... I have the inlet and love it though lol.

beejohn
08-21-2007, 08:11 PM
is there anything that can be done for prevention of cracking? ie: swain-tech coating?

Poopie
08-21-2007, 08:14 PM
No, atp manifolds are shit. I hate the intake too. They will replace that free of charge though

aytheory
08-21-2007, 08:16 PM
unless swain-tech is some super alloy that holds the thing together - then NO

swain-tech is good for heat - but that is not what causes it to crack - if anything heat conditioning should make metals stronger - the atp manifold cracks because of vibrations

gtrs elim turbo and other types of turbo do not use stock bracket to hold the turbo in so the whole turbo is hanging on the exhaust manifold

so it is due to vibrations and poor casting method used by atp - can't wait until what will happen to my exhaust housing of my turbo

they developed a new one and it still looks like the same old tricks

even though the stock one is also cast but it went through better casting methods - and since it has been heat cycled it should hold up to BT - and if it cracks - that is what 50 dollars to replace - ahahah - atp charges around 300 and up for these things that suck

Don Supreme
08-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Was that brand new? Didn't you just install that thing?

aytheory
08-21-2007, 08:48 PM
nope - got it used - and trying to contact seller to my crack - not good

but i read enough about it knowing its problem - actually i voted against the install before even looking at it - after I was done I took a look at it and found out it was cracking to start with - so I got super lucky with this one

gotaudi
08-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I would have told you not to install it when we were doing it..... Any update on the car?

$teady$upreme
08-21-2007, 09:22 PM
dam bro, so much problems.

Hope you get ur ride back on the road soon~

beejohn
08-21-2007, 10:32 PM
so what options do we have for a high flow manifold other than a p&p stocker?

Poopie
08-21-2007, 10:41 PM
yes!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3397685

aytheory
08-21-2007, 11:53 PM
so far updates on my car is a bad MAF - shady AZ seller - sold me a "new" ford maf - turn out to be a refurb ebay MAF - was very upset - if anything happens to my engine - im going to hunt him down and make him eat the MAF - on the process of contacting him - log shows my car is running lean at WOT and pulling way too much timing - which both could be caused by the MAF - ordered a new one and coming Monday so i'll see how things are going to go

beejohn just keep your stock one - it is awesome and you want a lower spool trust me - i use to have a little bit of lag with a K04 which it starts kicking at 2K - so pretty much no lag at all - because i was running a turbo back - back then. Now the thing doesn't start hitting until 3300 - and with a 1.8 behind it climbs super slow but once it hits it goes by too quickly - a larger exhaust manifold is just going to make this worse. The larger exhaust manifold will only push that number higher.

gotboost any feedback - actually when i get my car running fine i'll come over to your place and you can tell me the difference.

a upgraded manifold would look good on the dyno with top end and better looking numbers - but i think the stock manifold with the elim will give you more practical and more usable power -

if you want one - go ask mike he should know about these things

so far updates with my car is that need new maf
my rear alignment is a bit fucked up it is having inner camber wear not sure if i want to throw 170 for alignment at firestone - since our suspension stuff likes to wear out i.e. tie road, control arms, and any time putting new rubber - 3 times of alignment will pay for itself
the fuel hoses - instead of silicone i use to install hooking up the N75 and mbc - is starting to cook - and a funky smell of hot rubber is starting to come out - going to try a heat shield in that area - if things don't work out got to dig it all out and use silicone instead.
I am getting the APR DV - the Bailey is on its way out - and sending that in for service - and using the apr one and sell the Bailey after it is in good shape
Finding missing pieces to get my clutch done
Then wideband - and exhaust system needs work on - need another muffler car is too god dam loud - I have been pushing my dad's Camry around - since he hasn't come back to the states for like the last year.

graduate school is starting and I really have no money - fuck me

with all this going on - i decided to have a sense of humor and get a Hybrid badge and put it on my car where the 1.8t use to be - wanna join gotaudi - we can start our own crew the Hybrid crew - bwahahah

beejohn
08-22-2007, 07:10 AM
hmmm, that 034motorsport manifold looks strikingly similar to the atp one, just no atp logo on it

pac1085
08-22-2007, 07:24 AM
it probably is ATP's because 034 sells most of ATP's stuff.

Don Supreme
08-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Why don't you try out the new 034 mani?

The price is dirt cheap.

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Why don't you try out the new 034 mani?

The price is dirt cheap.

Which manifold?

solowb5
08-22-2007, 07:59 AM
their cast k series one that has almost even flow through each runner

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 08:29 AM
their cast k series one that has almost even flow through each runner

The one that was linked up above?

This?
http://www.034motorsport.com/images/HighFlowManifold1.8t2.jpg

Which is this from ATP just with the ATP logo grinded off.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/Catalog&#37;20Images/Vehicle%20Specific/ATP-VVW-156_450.jpg

Don Supreme
08-22-2007, 08:38 AM
They claim its not the ATP, but yeah that one.

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
They claim its not the ATP, but yeah that one.

Where do they claim it is not from ATP?

Here from their site.

Looking for a high flow but don't want to reconfigure your engine compartment? We made this manifold for you, using high temp rated, high nickel content cast iron, this manifold is a direct fit for OE turbo installation, which 50% larger runners for significant improvements in flow.

We've seen higher HP and faster spool with only this manifold installed, with the convenience of the factory fit.

Perfect for use with larger K04 variants or the GT based eliminator kits, CNC machined for a precise fit.

Includes longer turbo install hardware.

Choose transverse or longitudinal installation below.

Very easy to see it is the ATP manifold, plus the fact that they are a ATP dealer and are no more then 5 blocks from ATP.

darth tater
08-22-2007, 10:02 AM
ATP redesigned their stock style high flow manifold it is now ribbed for your pleasure.. and supposedly les likely to crack.

ATPs manifolds other then this one style pictured here have been 99&#37; trouble free for the last 6+ years.

The rest of their produts usually have issues due to inexperienced installers.

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 10:17 AM
The rest of their produts usually have issues due to inexperienced installers.

Sorry but that one really makes me laugh. Mostly seeing that there have been plenty of posts about ATP product issues and the fact that the Elims have been failing left and right since they came out with it.

Then take the fact that ATP cant even ship the correct parts or ships out the box with parts missing and that has been doing on for a very long time which is why it is better to buy from a ATP dealer then going direct.

BTW the picture I posted above of the ATP manifold is right from their site.

beejohn
08-22-2007, 10:26 AM

I just gave them a ring, they claim it is their own casting.

sean1.8t
08-22-2007, 10:39 AM
i was going to take time out to write all of this, but someone already did and i agree 110&#37; with Shawn:

Many of the ATP issues were from user and/or turbo error. Many of the original cracked mani problems were from people not using the tranny exhaust/DP mount. Without that mount, the stress of the exhaust was too much for the manifold to absorb. Also, the GTRS and 71R Elim turbo's lack a turbo support bracket and results in that much more stress being put on the manifold. Its not that the ATP manifold is a bad product, its just that a cast manifold can not take a ton of abuse from these things. Whether it be the ATP mani, or now the 034 mani, cracking issues are still going to exsist!

i have the ATP log manifold. that has been known to have the same exact issues as this manifold. but i have a custom brace made that ties the turbo to the head, and guess what, NO CRACKS! all i have to do is worry about nuts backing out at times

sean1.8t
08-22-2007, 10:43 AM

mike, maybe you should research a bit more. this is strait from Issam:

Do I need to repeat for the 923798 time that these are not ATP units?

Wizard-of-OD
08-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Mike just didnt catch me on aol on time....haha
Ye its not an ATP unit and is backed by a warranty.Does not get much better than that BUT i only have 4 more longitudinal units.They are going like stink these days!

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 11:24 AM
mike, maybe you should research a bit more. this is strait from Issam:

I was going by looks and pics of the 2 manifolds which look exactly the same and thats all.

I mean come on look at the pics for yourself and tell me you wouldn't think they are the same manifold?

If they are not the same they must have come out of the same mold or a new mold was made from a ATP manifold.

sean1.8t
08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I was going by looks and pics of the 2 manifolds which look exactly the same and thats all.

I mean come on look at the pics for yourself and tell me you wouldn't think they are the same manifold?

If they are not the same they must have come out of the same mold or a new mold was made from a ATP manifold.

Ugh!!![:(]

why must everything be a debate. EVERYONE can see that they look identical. i showed the two manifolds to my grandmother and she didn't even have to put her bifocals on to see that they are identical in looks. that is not the point..

the point is that they are not made by the same company. and this one is only $180!!!

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Ugh!!![:(]

why must everything be a debate. EVERYONE can see that they look identical. i showed the two manifolds to my grandmother and she didn't even have to put her bifocals on to see that they are identical in looks. that is not the point..

the point is that they are not made by the same company. and this one is only $180!!!

So is this manifold for $180 the same that 034 sells for $325 or is it a different manifold then listed below?

Straight from the 034 web site

Exhaust Manifold, High Flow Stock Fit 1.8t $325.00

Looking for a high flow but don't want to reconfigure your engine compartment? We made this manifold for you, using high temp rated, high nickel content cast iron, this manifold is a direct fit for OE turbo installation, which 50&#37; larger runners for significant improvements in flow.

We've seen higher HP and faster spool with only this manifold installed, with the convenience of the factory fit.

Perfect for use with larger K04 variants or the GT based eliminator kits, CNC machined for a precise fit.

Includes longer turbo install hardware.

Choose transverse or longitudinal installation below.

LOL, oh no someone debates something the world is going to come to an end. You should turn your computer off, sit in a corner and just talk to yourself for the rest of your life.

sean1.8t
08-22-2007, 12:56 PM
So is this manifold for $180 the same that 034 sells for $325 or is it a different manifold then listed below?

Straight from the 034 web site

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3397697

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 01:02 PM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3397697

YEs I know that Issam is selling it for $180. But that still does not answer the $325 question.

sean1.8t
08-22-2007, 02:16 PM
YEs I know that Issam is selling it for $180. But that still does not answer the $325 question.

i believe they are one in the same. the $180 price is just "your price" as it states in the Vortex thread.. probably just like the $800 introductory price he had for the tubi manifold when it first came out. as well as what it will probably be when the intake manifold come out..

AND HOPEFULLY WHEN THE VR6 CONVERSION COMES OUT!?!?! *hint*

darth tater
08-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Sorry but that one really makes me laugh. Mostly seeing that there have been plenty of posts about ATP product issues and the fact that the Elims have been failing left and right since they came out with it.

how is an eliminator with one part made by ATP.. thats not the failing part.. ATPs fault.. If the CHRA fails.. thats garrett not ATP... think about that for a moment.

What other parts failures have you been seeing in great number other then this manifold.. ?

Then take the fact that ATP cant even ship the correct parts or ships out the box with parts missing and that has been doing on for a very long time which is why it is better to buy from a ATP dealer then going direct.

I've done 15+ BT setups using exclusivly their parts and probably used more then 40k worth of stuff from them.. They also have never once been late or sent the wrong part in the 100+ orders I have placed with them.. and my orders are generally retarded and last minute..

darth tater
08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
i have the ATP log manifold. that has been known to have the same exact issues as this manifold. but i have a custom brace made that ties the turbo to the head, and guess what, NO CRACKS! all i have to do is worry about nuts backing out at times

I have only actually heard of one of ATPs 1.8t log manifolds craking and it was near the wastegate flange.. I have no idea of it was using an external gate but one posittioned so it was hitting something could easily have been the cause.

what nuts are you having issues with coming loose?

manifold to head? Make sure you don't use the washers.. and use the split type not the oval type of copper lock washers.

turbo to manifold?

don't use a gasket. install the studs by hand and then put the turbo on.. trim them down so that you will get all of the nut on but they are not touching the exhaust housing.. preventing it from seating right.. this is the number one problem I have seen..

Then double nut the studs to run them all the way in. put the turbo on again NO GASKET.. and tighten the nuts down.. never had a problem with them coming loose.

Wizard-of-OD
08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
i believe they are one in the same. the $180 price is just "your price" as it states in the Vortex thread.. probably just like the $800 introductory price he had for the tubi manifold when it first came out. as well as what it will probably be when the intake manifold come out..

AND HOPEFULLY WHEN THE VR6 CONVERSION COMES OUT!?!?! *hint*

If I was to maintain the introductory price forever,I would lose my advertising account in months and the buisness shortly after.
Introductory's are for "guinea" pigs to get a feel of the product (which is awesome btw) and give feedback to the community.If I was to charge say $500 for that manifold...I would wait a HELL of a long time for any feedback on it to come in.

mike-2ptzero
08-22-2007, 04:46 PM
how is an eliminator with one part made by ATP.. thats not the failing part.. ATPs fault.. If the CHRA fails.. thats garrett not ATP... think about that for a moment.

What other parts failures have you been seeing in great number other then this manifold.. ?

I've done 15+ BT setups using exclusivly their parts and probably used more then 40k worth of stuff from them.. They also have never once been late or sent the wrong part in the 100+ orders I have placed with them.. and my orders are generally retarded and last minute..

Are you a ATP dealer?

Because there have been plenty of posts by "customers" on a few different forums about how bad ATP has been when it came to shipments showing up with missing parts.

darth tater
08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
I have an account with ATP.. but so do lots of people..

Almost every company I have ever dealt with has mishipped parts or messed up in someway.. ATP is one of those companies that people are quick to blame but never take any responsibility themselves..

and thanks for ignoring the more important factor about failing non ATP products....

mike-2ptzero
08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I have an account with ATP.. but so do lots of people..

Almost every company I have ever dealt with has mishipped parts or messed up in someway.. ATP is one of those companies that people are quick to blame but never take any responsibility themselves..

and thanks for ignoring the more important factor about failing non ATP products....

If you want an answer about failing ATP parts just do a search it isn't hard.

I have been around long enough to know even about their shitty 8V turbo kits that failed BIG time.

maxspeed
08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
If you want an answer about failing ATP parts just do a search it isn't hard.

I have been around long enough to know even about their shitty 8V turbo kits that failed BIG time.

you have to take into account the shear numbers of people that have installed the eliminators, far, far, more people have installed these turbos than the apr stage III, or comparable kits. of course more people will have problems if more people are using them, its all to scale im sure.

mike-2ptzero
08-23-2007, 01:52 PM
you have to take into account the shear numbers of people that have installed the eliminators, far, far, more people have installed these turbos than the apr stage III, or comparable kits. of course more people will have problems if more people are using them, its all to scale im sure.

Odd thing is that I know a bunch of guys that run the elim and I would say half of them have had to return the turbo because it failed.

1.8G
08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
^^ so true... my gtrs failed with 3k and they didnt warranty it, $750 out of my pocket for rebuild. Its making a fair amount of noise again, only 3k on it.

Is it true that they will replace the inlet for free? My TIP has no way of fastening on the the turbo inlet, Im sure that cant be good for MAF readings... I have just about had it with ATP.

aytheory
08-23-2007, 04:35 PM
ahhaha - dam i am looking towards to how long this POS last - i am going through gpopshop if this thing ever blows on me - they do a rebuild for 500 - also you might want to think about doing the upgraded inlet oil line - it might help - but doubt it.

Now i kinda of wish i went with a full gtrs - cheaper, need a different exhaust manifold and a different exhaust flange

Tiluleshpingen
08-24-2007, 12:45 AM
so what options do we have for a high flow manifold other than a p&p stocker?

bore out the stocker won't break, very tough material

94jedi
08-24-2007, 05:45 AM
bore out the stocker won't break, very tough material

sarcasm I assume?

darth tater
08-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Odd thing is that I know a bunch of guys that run the elim and I would say half of them have had to return the turbo because it failed.

And again explain how that is ATPs problem since the only part they made is the exhaust housing, the rest of the turbo is an off the shelf Garrett unit.

Is the exhaust housing failing?

darth tater
08-24-2007, 07:06 AM

I have to.. back when they were just http://8vturbo.com or whatever it was..

And if you want to go back 10 years.. they were pretty much the only one...Other then these longitudinal stock placement manifolds they have had very very few failures in the last 6yrs or so.

i've got a callaway 8V turbo setup at my house in NJ... that manifold doesn't have more then 1 sq 1/4" without a crack in it.. Industry is getting bigger access to better casting is now available..

Hell every stock manifold from a VW/Audi I have ever removed is riddled with cracks..

gotaudi
08-24-2007, 07:07 AM
I believe the exhaust housing is a special order from ATP to garrett, I believe garrett makes the exhaust housing.

I could be wrong though

darth tater
08-24-2007, 07:09 AM
I believe the exhaust housing is a special order from ATP to garrett, I believe garrett makes the exhaust housing.

I could be wrong though

that is actually what I thought also.. Never looked into it though..

So that just goes back to if the eliminators are failing.. its Garretts fault or clogged oil lines or any other number of things NOT related to ATP.

mike-2ptzero
08-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Actually a lot of them are failing because of the shitty turbo inlet that ATP makes. The thing keeps coming off of customer cars and allows objects to get sucked into the turbo.

maxspeed
08-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Actually a lot of them are failing because of the shitty turbo inlet that ATP makes. The thing keeps coming off of customer cars and allows objects to get sucked into the turbo.

i thought the bearings were failing

darth tater
08-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Ok can see that as something that as their fault. I have only seen the silicon one..

But that really is not the turbo failing them thats a poorly designed intake.. their fault.. but not what you said.

That being said I have not seen one fail from that most of hte complaints I have seen are the CHRA locking up due to oiling issues.. which again would not be anyway related to ATP since its Garrett and factory parts being used.

mike-2ptzero
08-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Ok can see that as something that as their fault. I have only seen the silicon one..

But that really is not the turbo failing them thats a poorly designed intake.. their fault.. but not what you said.

That being said I have not seen one fail from that most of hte complaints I have seen are the CHRA locking up due to oiling issues.. which again would not be anyway related to ATP since its Garrett and factory parts being used.

Yeah the turbo's do fail but then again wasn't the elim turbo a ATP design?

I have seen plenty of people post pics of their turbo with chunks missing from the compressor wheel with no other damage to the turbo. If the turbo fails that way isn't that still a failing part from ATP? I wont even get into the shitty design of their oil return lines that are always TOO short, I am sure there are plenty of other bad product designs from them that we could list all day long.

aytheory
08-24-2007, 11:19 AM
ahhaha 2nd using old return line for the gtrs from atp - after i bolt it back up it was way too short - i had to bend the shit out of my stock return line to get it to barely fit - this seems to happen to the aeb engine - gotaudi was there and we had to do some crazy crap to make everything fit.

darth tater
08-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah the turbo's do fail but then again wasn't the elim turbo a ATP design?

The exhaust housing is.. the rest is 100% stock Garrett.. reallynot a hard concept.

I have seen plenty of people post pics of their turbo with chunks missing from the compressor wheel with no other damage to the turbo. If the turbo fails that way isn't that still a failing part from ATP? I wont even get into the shitty design of their oil return lines that are always TOO short, I am sure there are plenty of other bad product designs from them that we could list all day long.

never had a problem with their oil return lines on any application.

Missing chunks from a compresor wheel could still be an oiling issue causing the shaft to not be balanced.... or somehing sucked in.. sucking somthing in can be user error..Hell you can bend the wheel over boosting.

and no if a turbo fail that does not make it ATPs fault..

you really are grasping at straws here...

Tiluleshpingen
08-24-2007, 11:29 AM
sarcasm I assume?

not really , i guess i took it to far by saying that is a very tough material.. but it stronger then ATP's manifold. and it won't break with eliminator kits olny if u launch at 5.5k on clutchcmasters[:p]

mike-2ptzero
08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
The exhaust housing is.. the rest is 100% stock Garrett.. reallynot a hard concept.

never had a problem with their oil return lines on any application.

Missing chunks from a compresor wheel could still be an oiling issue causing the shaft to not be balanced.... or somehing sucked in.. sucking somthing in can be user error..Hell you can bend the wheel over boosting.

and no if a turbo fail that does not make it ATPs fault..

you really are grasping at straws here...

I know the concept, but if the housing isn't perfect on the inside the wheel ends up hitting it.

Missing chunks from the center parts of the blade have nothing to do with the balance of the wheel, if it was on the ends of the blades it would.

You have never had a problem with their oil return line? So basicly your saying all the people that have posted about the problem are retarded and dont know how to install a oil return line or that you get the right lines while the customers get the shitty ones?[confused]

Yeah I am grasping at straws[confused] Its clear you have an account with them which basicly means your a dealer without a shop, so your going to try to make ATP sound better then they really are. Believe me plenty of people on the forums know all about the ATP with poor designed products and very poor customer service.

darth tater
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I know the concept, but if the housing isn't perfect on the inside the wheel ends up hitting it.

I thought they were sucking things in and damaging the compressor wheel.. I know you know what you are talking about why are you being such an idiot on tihs topic just to argue? How is the turbine wheel suddenly being damaged by the ill fitting inlet?

Missing chunks from the center parts of the blade have nothing to do with the balance of the wheel, if it was on the ends of the blades it would.

If you want to start getting that particular lets not be a total asshole and post what you want to say from the beginning instead of posting just enough information so someone can reply and you can then suddenly alter or make more clear your statements for the sake of looking like you are proving someone wrong.

quite childish.. eitherway if the center of the comp wheel is being damaged they sucked something in.. How is that ATP selling defective turbos again?

You have never had a problem with their oil return line? So basicly your saying all the people that have posted about the problem are retarded and dont know how to install a oil return line or that you get the right lines while the customers get the shitty ones?[confused]

How is me not having a problem with a particular oil return line mean I am saying people are retarded. I have not had any problem with any of their oil return lines, may not have dealt with this one particular application that you are basing ALL of ATPs problems on.. There is not one single company in this industry or in the world that is perfect. So far two examples are listed in this thread from ATP.. The rest are blaming them for things that are not their fault.

I just pulled a b5 eliminator off a car that was totalled by a friend of mine.. I saw no issues with the return line but I am not sure if it was the one supplied or one he made.

Yeah I am grasping at straws[confused] Its clear you have an account with them which basicly means your a dealer without a shop, so your going to try to make ATP sound better then they really are. Believe me plenty of people on the forums know all about the ATP with poor designed products and very poor customer service.

Never said I was a dealer without a shop. I am not trying to make ATP sound better then they really are, you are however trying to make them sound worse then they are.. You haven't even sited one example of your own in this thread of why they are so bad all of your posts have been based on second or third hand experiences.

xr4tic
08-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I have a lot of ATP stuff on my car, bought ~5 years ago, before they offered any kits.

I had a few problems, I had to create my own adapter for the oil feed line, the oil return was way too short, and the software was always in limp mode.

I fully understand that with any DIY kit, there are bound to be problems, stupid little thing like the wrong parts being shipped, etc, et. However, it's how the company deals with the issues that is frustrating.

Trying to contact them was a major hassle, they never returned phone calls, so I had to call multiple times during the day to talk to someone. They never shipped on time, usually took them a day or two before they shipped it. I probably spent close to $100 in extra shipping charges, sending crap back to them, and getting new stuff back.

I try to avoid buying anything from them unless I absolutely have to.

mike-2ptzero
08-24-2007, 03:00 PM
quite childish.. eitherway if the center of the comp wheel is being damaged they sucked something in.. How is that ATP selling defective turbos again?

Never said I was a dealer without a shop. I am not trying to make ATP sound better then they really are, you are however trying to make them sound worse then they are.. You haven't even sited one example of your own in this thread of why they are so bad all of your posts have been based on second or third hand experiences.

How does something get sucked into a turbo when the system is sealed? Easy, the shit that sits on the front of the turbo called the inlet pipe keeps falling off because the design sucks ass. When this happens something gets sucked right thru the opening and damages the turbo. Understand that part?

Yeah I am getting all my info second or third hand seeing that I am the person that set the 1/4 mile records with a few B6's running the elim kits even though all of them had issues with the products.[confused]

Poopie
08-24-2007, 03:47 PM
mike, I don't think the inlet could ever fall off in a b5 because it is so close to the rad support. THE biggest issue I see is the set screw used to secure it. I did not use a set screw because of fear of it backing out, then the inlet elbow sliding forward and having the set screw get sucked up into the turbo. The seal is not very good and fitment sucks.

offroader1006
08-24-2007, 04:10 PM
the ATP test pipe fit great.

the sticker was awesome too.

$teady$upreme
08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Can we drill another an extra hole and put a screw in a different placement on the inlet?

mike, I don't think the inlet could ever fall off in a b5 because it is so close to the rad support. THE biggest issue I see is the set screw used to secure it. I did not use a set screw because of fear of it backing out, then the inlet elbow sliding forward and having the set screw get sucked up into the turbo. The seal is not very good and fitment sucks.

aytheory
08-24-2007, 05:42 PM
first of all atp can suck me too at their ability of customer service - i was missing some parts that weren't very expensive - they never got back to me with even 2 emails - I don't think they wanted to deal with me - so i just said screw it and went with someone else.

I think the inlet for the stock hose can be improved by adding a hump area in the inlet so it won't back out using the stock inlet hose

as for the 3" inlet - that little screw freaks me out too - but IIRC there is a bump for it to prevent that tiny little screw from backing out - but since this issue has been brought up I am going to give it special attention

Also - even though it might seem like arguing a lot of people who love atp and people not so much - I am glad this discussion is going on and keep it up - I am learning a lot from this tread - so thank to both parties

darth tater
08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a lot of ATP stuff on my car, bought ~5 years ago, before they offered any kits.

Trying to contact them was a major hassle, they never returned phone calls, so I had to call multiple times during the day to talk to someone. They never shipped on time, usually took them a day or two before they shipped it. I probably spent close to $100 in extra shipping charges, sending crap back to them, and getting new stuff back.

I try to avoid buying anything from them unless I absolutely have to.

They have changed greatly in customer service since 5 years ago.. heck most companies in this industry have since 00-02 was a HUGE period of growth with the 1.8t and 2.7T causing a VW audi explosion. Most companies could not handle it.

Everytime I have called ATP in the last 3 years they have answered the phone on the first call. any email is answered within a day. Often times well after business hours and even on weekends.

darth tater
08-24-2007, 08:06 PM
How does something get sucked into a turbo when the system is sealed? Easy, the shit that sits on the front of the turbo called the inlet pipe keeps falling off because the design sucks ass. When this happens something gets sucked right thru the opening and damages the turbo. Understand that part?

Hmm.. wow I said if the inlet is falling off that is their part.. really what is your point???

But then see the resonse with people saying the issue is is unlikely to happen since the fitment issue is its too tight.

Hooray for making shit up just to make yourself sound cooler then you are... never miss that ego of yours..

supernafamacho
08-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I'll try the 034 motorport one with a 2871r eliminator atp.[:D]