PDA

View Full Version : damn wheel locks - need help

audispeed
08-21-2007, 09:25 AM
So I managed to break the key to my wheel locks trying to get one off. It was properly seated and I wasnt even using that much force. The insert in the key just sheared off. So now I am faced with the task of getting 4 wheel locks off with no key. Is my only real option to drill them out? If that is the case I don't have the day or so that it will take me to do that. Plus I dont want to risk messing up the threads on the hub. Are there any other options out there? I would prefer you PM'd me so it wasnt open on the forum. If I end up going to the shop to have them drilled how much will it end up costing me? Thanks for the help. This really sucks.

akielb
08-21-2007, 10:01 AM
my wheel lock key has a # on the side of it so I can order an extra key if need be. And that was the first thing that I did when I got my tuner lugs. Most shops also have access to a wide range of key's and even shops that don't have your exact key might be able to get the lugs off without it. If that fails......go to the mexican side of town and see what they can do, they have a lot of experience getting wheels off without the key - lol

audispeed
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
no numbers on the key lock. thanks though

dave80jc
08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
I guess it depends on what kind of wheel locks you have, but what I have always found works (at least for the smooth round ones) is to take a socket that is barely bigger than the lock - and I do mean BARELY. Use a hammer to pound it on and then just use a ratchet in the socket to break it loose. You will most likely need a press to get the wheel lock out of the socket afterwards though.

a4fann
08-21-2007, 10:18 AM
take it to any major tire shop and they can break them of no problem it will cost you like 20-30 bucks for the new locks when they break off the old ones.

audispeed
08-21-2007, 10:25 AM
take it to any major tire shop and they can break them of no problem it will cost you like 20-30 bucks for the new locks when they break off the old ones.

ok, great. i think i may just go this route. i dont feel like screwing around with it. thanks.

Burntaudi
08-21-2007, 10:54 AM
I used to work at a Tiresplus years ago. We had a tool kit that worked with a impact. for getting wheel locks off. Probably your best bet.

speedydragon
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
go to the mexican side of town and see what they can do, they have a lot of experience getting wheels off without the key - lol

I literally LOL'd when I read that!

audispeed
08-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Went to the shop today and they got the wheel locks off. Thank god!!! After talking with the guy they said they could even do a clutch job for me for like $400! Nice.