PDA

View Full Version : it's begining to look a lot like christmas (sensors/lights gallor)

loustylez
08-21-2007, 07:09 AM
i'm having weird issues now with the screen saying low on fuel (comes and
goes) when the tank has plenty of gas and on sunday i had the low oil level notification come on the screen also. for some reason i didn't bother checking the oil level
(probably because i was in a hurry) and put 2 quarts in. the light
went away and the engine sounds like it's running fine. i checked my
oil first thing this morning (cold car) and it's over filled about .5"
over the top orange plastic part (kind of a pic below).

([___]|||||||[___])====x=========================================

is that an inaccurate measurement? should the car be running for a
minute or two first before getting the oil level?

i've also had an issue with my door thinking it's not closed but that
hasn't come back in a while. i've read up on a possibility of cracked solder in the door locking mechanism but since it hasnt' come back i'm not worried about it a whole lot right now.

brlukosk
08-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Gas gauge problem is the fuel sending unit on the top of the tank in back. The electrical contacts are probably coroded, the unit may need to be replaced. Check the tech articles.

The oil level may have been low, but if you didnt check it before you added 2 quarts and you over filled it you probably caused some problems.

The oil should come between 2 spots on the bottom of the dipstick tube.
([___]|||||||[___])====
............^^
Here ...

To check the oil run the car, then shut it off. Pull out the stick. Whipe it off, then put it back in and check the level. It should be within the two marks, never over or below.

A4-99-2.8
08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Gas gauge problem is the fuel sending unit on the top of the tank in back. The electrical contacts are probably coroded, the unit may need to be replaced. Check the tech articles.

The oil level may have been low, but if you didnt check it before you added 2 quarts and you over filled it you probably caused some problems.

The oil should come between 2 spots on the bottom of the dipstick tube.
([___]|||||||[___])====
............^^
Here ...

To check the oil run the car, then shut it off. Pull out the stick. Whipe it off, then put it back in and check the level. It should be within the two marks, never over or below.

I can't wait till i can rattle off solutions like that....bump for EDUCATION!

loustylez
08-21-2007, 08:21 AM
well, i've been at work for 2 hours so i went back out and checked it. it's in a parking garage so it's not exactly level, but the oil isn't going above the top orange piece now (it's on it, and again, not a level surface).

i did, however, notice my small cone filter for the crank breather hose is missing. it's just... gone. (i got an ebay intake) i'm in work clothes (nice) so i didn't want to dig around in there looking for it yet. if it's not in the engine bay somewhere down low then uh... i guess i'll be looking where to get one of those. it was K&N i believe.

loustylez
08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
i think i'm good fellas. lesson learned. don't trust an audi telling you your oil is low until you check it first.