PDA

View Full Version : Body repair and Painting + PICS!

airy52
08-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Okay so here is my situation. A big brick wall ran into the corner of my car (or i was going sooo fast i got a "speed dent" ) and I had to fix it and the bodyshop I went quoted me a bs price of 511$. So I am doing it my self.

So I have bondo'd it and sanded it down so that it matches up good enough for me. I am now ready for painting it, and don't say I should just try to blend it, I'm repainting the whole bumper(for practice, if it works il repaint my door with peeling clear-coat). Its a 2001 a4tq(tip). From here on out I have no idea what to do.

I've read some things about it but I need to know what do I paint on it, and how many coats. My dad has a HVLP (high velocity low pressure) paint sprayer that I will be using. Here is what I think I know(haha): take bumper off and hang it from some strings, because i want to get all crevices. then I should sand it with some 350 or so grit sandpaper so the paint (still dont know what to put on it) will stick. Do I need primer, color paint, and then clear-coat.
HOW do I remove my Bumper !!!!!!

I will be going to Denfeld Paints tommorow, I called them and they said "yes we have auto paints and we can find the paint for your audi "brilliant black"" so okay. Will this paint be okay?

What paints do I need to do a good job, and how many coats of each paint? Sanding inbetween? Put some paints on in heavier wetter coats than others?

Thanks for all of the help from various members of the forum. You guys have helped me out a lot.

Also, I read somewhere about painting thick primer on the lowers, I think with a brush, then sand it down to get rid of that injection molding texture. Will someone expand on this as well

http://thesellgrens.com/IMG_2416.JPG

speedydragon
08-19-2007, 11:49 PM
i suggest you copy and paste this to the detailing forum as well ^^ how does a brick hit the back of your car? lol

zrowcool
08-20-2007, 05:29 AM
you still need to putty that. (plasticote) it will take out all the scratches of the sandpaper. Scuff down the whole bumper with 600 grit and wetsand the putty with 1500 grit. This should have it smooth. Then use a high build primer and scuff that with a scotch pad. then a tack rag to take off all the particles then you will be reayd for paint and clear. let me know if you need anything else. I use to work at a body shop.

Starting
08-20-2007, 06:14 AM
1500 grit? that isn't going to give you the tooth you need for the primer to hold. What sand paper you end up finishing with is going to depend on the paint you use. The paint you buy will have a tech sheet which would tell you all the info. The tech sheet will also tell you how many coats, if you need to sand in between, time to wait between coats; all that stuff. I did a writeup on painting a bumper awhile back.

audiFUEGO
08-20-2007, 06:27 AM
looks like a baby duckey..

zrowcool
08-20-2007, 07:56 AM
the primer we use has adhesion promoter added so the grit roughness of the bumper doesnt matter much at all.

badboi24u
08-20-2007, 09:22 AM
looks like a baby duckey..

that is too funny lol

cashmere26
08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
you still need to putty that. (plasticote) it will take out all the scratches of the sandpaper. Scuff down the whole bumper with 600 grit and wetsand the putty with 1500 grit. This should have it smooth. Then use a high build primer and scuff that with a scotch pad. then a tack rag to take off all the particles then you will be reayd for paint and clear. let me know if you need anything else. I use to work at a body shop.

I currently work at a custom paint and body shop I concur with this cat, sounds like he knows his stuff.. make it candy if ya know what I mean.. 4-6 coats of base wet sand between each coat, take your time, then 4-6 coats of clear, (clean the hell out of that gun) then wet sand between each one too.. leave the last one unsanded, hit it with 2000 or 1500, then buff it till it shines..
take your time it will come out candy for sure..

Starting
08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
cashmere: that just seems like way too much work. its only a bumper. What I would do is 2-3 coats of base, 2-3 coats of clear if you don't have a lot of orange peel. Then just wetsand the final layer of clear and buff. I think you are doing like show quality work and no one is going to be able to notice the difference. If you did that type of work on a stock car the bumper is going to be the best paint on the car.

airy52
08-20-2007, 02:40 PM
yes i went to denfelds today and they are gonna sell me my color paint, clear coat, some flexible primer and some other primer to make it smooth before painting. he said no sanding in between coats at all, without any hesitation. you guys sure i should sand between coats??? and after last coat?

zrowcool
08-21-2007, 09:02 AM
depends on the spraying. If its smooth with no runs/drips or orange peel you can get away with just laying on the coats and then wetsanding the last clear. if it does have imperfections between coats then you will need to sand. one thing is you will need to sand that last coat for sure.