PDA

View Full Version : Stock Flywheel chatter...advice needed.

SFexBOY
08-19-2007, 03:45 PM
I've got it, and wanted to know how serious or urgent it is for me to replace. Reason why I'm asking is b/c I've had my clutch replaced twice in the last 20K miles. Once at 105K since my stock one lasted that long....then another around 115K from oil dripping down into my bell housing damaging it. My shop didn't feel a need to replace my flywheel since the stock one seemed fine. Now I'm getting chatters in 1st (sometimes 2nd gear). I'm not really sure what I should do. I really don't want to have to pay for ANOTHER clutch job. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

JumboBlack1.8
08-19-2007, 03:49 PM
What does the chatter feel like?....I think I might be getting the same thing...

SFexBOY
08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
What does the chatter feel like?....I think I might be getting the same thing...

i don't really feel much difference other than just the audible chatter. The clutch is strong and doesn't slip.

JumboBlack1.8
08-19-2007, 03:55 PM
oh...well, my car vibrates when I engage first gear.....its a real real nasty feeling, and I can't figure out what it is....anyway, sorry to thread jack, but maybe your flywheel should've at least been resurfaced before it got reinstalled

SFexBOY
08-19-2007, 03:58 PM
oh...well, my car vibrates when I engage first gear.....its a real real nasty feeling, and I can't figure out what it is....anyway, sorry to thread jack, but maybe your flywheel should've at least been resurfaced before it got reinstalled

yea thats what I'm unsure about. Say for instance they didn't, is there a period where the flywheel need to mate up w/ a new clutch....thus causing a rattle for a bit? I wonder if this is a transition period and will eventually go away. Highly unlikely I guess.

Lazer Viking
08-19-2007, 06:59 PM
what kind of break in did you do on the new clutch ?

SFexBOY
08-19-2007, 07:35 PM
what kind of break in did you do on the new clutch ?

to be completely honest, not much. I didn't drive it hard for the first 500miles maybe.....but wasn't really sure what the proper break in period was. I've already put at least 5K since the last clutch replacement about 2-2.5 months ago.

Nebone
08-19-2007, 09:36 PM
I ocasionally hear a slight chatter coming from my transmission and its only when I've been sitting in traffic for a while and taking of in 2nd while barely moving. Been like that forever tho and thought it was the torsens.

Nukkah03
08-19-2007, 10:54 PM
I have the same problem I believe it can be an tranny input shaft, I said the hell with it. Got a 2.8 tranny for $150. Oh yeah you might want to check the output shaft seal, that could drip out and slowly killing the transmission.

SFexBOY
08-20-2007, 06:36 AM
thanks for your replies guys. It seems like we all have/had pretty much the same issue. I hope its not too late for me to "break-in" this clutch after driving her for the past couple months. I'm gonna try to take it easy on the clutch, and see if that might help the situation.

Beemer832
08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
i have AWFUL clutch chatter but told it was usual with the setup i am running since it is a 5 or 6 puck racing clutch against the LWFW. The tranny was completely rebuilt about 50-60k ago with all new seals and synchro's and such. is this not normal : ( !!!??

josh

SFexBOY
08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
**UPDATE CAR IS FIXED**

Turns out it wasn't even clutch related! My indy shop (Quattrohaus) took a look at it, and I guess when I replaced my timing belt last month, I neglected to tighten the 4 bolts that hold down the lower accessory pulley. There were only 2 bolts holding it down, and the other 2 were no where to be found. They were able to get to it w/o removing anything. Thanks to my shop my car is back to normal....no chatters. [:D]