PDA

View Full Version : Pancake valve

SurferForever
08-19-2007, 01:17 PM
What does it do? How bad it it to be driving around if its not hooked up?

So i popped open my hood last night and saw that the hose the connects the pancake valve to the metal tube had actually come off the metal tube. I dont know how long this had been like this for and i dont even know what it does. Have a lot of people been having trouble with it after installing a new TIP? I noticed my gas milage was going down so i am going to assume that it is because of that. I stuck my finger in the tube and notice like some oil and charred burnt crap. is that bad?

Also i had my car on a lift yesterday and noticed a decent amount of oil on the belly pan and on the bottom of the engine. could this have anything to do with it? Besides the lower gas milage my car has been running pretty fine except for it being a little rich on my latest logs. Checked the oil level and it was fine also.

Pictures are as follows

SurferForever
08-19-2007, 01:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/SurferForever/hose1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/SurferForever/hose2.jpg

SurferForever
08-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Nobody know anything about a pancake valve? what about a catch can for our cars? I searched pancake and only 2 threads came up that werent really much help

Jereme
08-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Im not really sure, I know I saw a writeup yesterday where some guy swapped in a tt225 valve or something like that.

Search back for I think it had some good info on what exactly it does.

salz2135
08-19-2007, 05:59 PM
that is basically just to keep oil from entering the intake track. If it was disconnected from the TIP that means you have unfiltered/unmetered air going to the turbo.

furthermore, the excess oil on your under body cover could also be attributed to the disconnection. Instead of oil going into the TIP it was dripping down.

audiness
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
its part of the emissions system. otherwise useless