PDA

View Full Version : how much to install rods?

beejohn
08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
just curious.. how much to install a set of rods on a 1.8t AWM?

sort of entertaining the idea of selling the elim setup and going for a full 2871r. i wouldn't go for a full 28rs, not worth the trouble of selling everything.... just a thought.

Poopie
08-18-2007, 10:13 PM
hhmmm parts alone will run you 700 bucks for scat rods and other bits and pieces. Labor? to pull the motor to do a proper install i would think about 700-1000.

TQMB5
08-19-2007, 08:26 AM
if your handy pull the engine youself, strip it down to just the block with the crank, rods and pistons in it, bring it to a shop and have them put the new rods and rings and rod bearings in, i cant see it being to expensive that way.

TQMB5
08-19-2007, 08:27 AM
i highly suggest replacing your clutch if you pull the engine, its about an hour to do while the engines out, instead of 6-8 later

Don Supreme
08-19-2007, 08:44 AM
I say install the rods with the elim kit and break in the motor and then worry about the turbo after.

Don't try to do it all at once or you won't know where to start when something goes wrong.

For example:

You just rebuilt your entire motor, installed a whole new turbo setup (injectors, tune, intake, etc, etc) and now you have a rough idle that you just can't seem to fix!!! WHERE TO START??? (trouble shooting)

gotaudi
08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Do you have the big turbo in right now???? If you do Please PM me....

sort of entertaining the idea of selling the elim setup and going for a full 2871r. i wouldn't go for a full 28rs, not worth the trouble of selling everything.... just a thought.

pinky
08-19-2007, 10:52 AM
you dont have to pull the engine to install rods.. you do have to pull the oil pan and the head..

rods are $350 and you'll also need rings, rod bearings, gaskets, and head bolts

it would be better to pull the engine, but it is not required.

mike-2ptzero
08-19-2007, 12:19 PM
you dont have to pull the engine to install rods.. you do have to pull the oil pan and the head..

rods are $350 and you'll also need rings, rod bearings, gaskets, and head bolts

it would be better to pull the engine, but it is not required.

It would be a good idea to pull the motor apart at this point so it can be hot washed to clean out the oil passages. Many reasons to do it plus it wouldn't cost all that much more since most of the engine is going to be torn apart anyway. Also a good time to replace the oil pump. Labor is the big cost when doing this but what kills you is the many small parts that are needed which add up quickly.

beejohn
08-19-2007, 12:32 PM
yeah i was afraid this was going to turn into an even bigger money pit. i'll hold off for now. i know the 19mm wrist pins on the awm are the limiting factor which is why i didn't go for a full 2871r setup. if my motor goes with the elim, i will definitely build it and go for the full setup.

Devious27t
08-19-2007, 12:41 PM

<adjusts halo> [:D]

Don Supreme
08-19-2007, 01:04 PM
yeah i was afraid this was going to turn into an even bigger money pit. i'll hold off for now. i know the 19mm wrist pins on the awm are the limiting factor which is why i didn't go for a full 2871r setup. if my motor goes with the elim, i will definitely build it and go for the full setup.

If your motor goes, you will need a whole new motor..... the option of building will be long gone.