PDA

View Full Version : Stud Conversion question

ct1.8t4me
08-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I have two wheels that each have a broken wheel bolt in them. So I have been running on 4 bolts on two wheels for a while now. If I can't get the broken bolts out, or if a shop can't, I'm assuming that I need to get new hubs, so I have a few questions:

Can the bearings be re-used when replacing the hubs or do they have to be replaced at that time as well? The reason I ask is because at least one of the bearings only has 3,000 miles on it.

I was thinking of doing a stud conversion just for ease of use and peace of mind. I have the stock Sport wheels and I don't plan on upgrading them any time soon or ever really. I know ECS sells the stud conversion kits, but I'm wondering if it's not something I could just put together from a nut/bolt supply store or something possibly for cheaper. It looks like it's going to cost $6.00 each or $120 for the whole car using the ECS kit. Plus the cost of the nuts.

pinky
08-17-2007, 07:25 AM
i wouldnt do screw in studs.. you may be fine, i had them on my rabbit, but if you're going to do it, i would take the hub to a machine shop and use the press in studs

ct1.8t4me
08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
FYI: According to the machine shop the bearings get destroyed when the hubs are pressed out.

Turns out that the price on the rear hub is like $250...Back to the junkyard for me. I found a complete rear knuckle assembly for $150 - hopefully the bearing is good.

mike-2ptzero
08-18-2007, 08:13 PM
i wouldnt do screw in studs.. you may be fine, i had them on my rabbit, but if you're going to do it, i would take the hub to a machine shop and use the press in studs

What exactly wrong with the screw in studs? I haven't had a problem with them at all on my 550+whp A4 which I use for drag racing.

If he did press in studs then they would have to drill out the threads in the hub which means he will never be able to go back to lug bolts.

ct1.8t4me
08-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't want to go back to lug bolts because they suck in my opinion. I don't see a problem with the screw in type. I want to see if I can source them for cheaper than $6.00 a piece from ECS though.

As it stands now, a second bolt broke off in my rear driver's side hub and neither one of them are coming out. I have junkyard pulling a complete knuckle assembly from a car on Monday morning for $150...

mike-2ptzero
08-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I don't want to go back to lug bolts because they suck in my opinion. I don't see a problem with the screw in type. I want to see if I can source them for cheaper than $6.00 a piece from ECS though.

As it stands now, a second bolt broke off in my rear driver's side hub and neither one of them are coming out. I have junkyard pulling a complete knuckle assembly from a car on Monday morning for $150...

I got mine from dave at Eurocode so you can always contact them or you can try greg(400hpA4) since I know he was also selling some a while back.

ct1.8t4me
08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
OK - I got everything back together and actually got a deal on the assembly because the dismantler had to cut the axle in half because he couldn't get the axle bolt out. I had my friendly machine shop remove the axle bolt with a torch and big ass air wrench.

One thing is bugging me though. Whenever I do the rear wheel bearings, I always leave the ball joint intact and remove the trailing arm or whatever the hell it's called from the subframe. So I take the upright or knuckle, the bearing and hub, and the trailing arm or link or whatever to the machine shop. Well the dismantler took the ball joint apart on my replacement, so I had to get a little puller to separate the ball joint. When I went to tighten it, the stud just turned with the lock nut. I ended up having to put some sideways pressure on the stud with a C-Clamp in order to keep it from turning while I was tightening the nut. There has got to be a "proper" way to do this, but it completely escapes me.

It's not a big deal right now because I got it all together, but if anyone has the answer it might help the next guy (or me the next time my bearing fails - which with my luck will be 6 months since I went through all this trouble).