PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary fan problems

rubez
08-16-2007, 04:39 PM
I've noticed lately that my auxiliary fan isn't turning on. It's been causing me to overheat slightly when using the A/C and stuck in traffic. As far as I can tell there isn't a fuse associated with the fan, or at least not one that I could find. I live in Houston... it's hot, humid, and generally speaking just plain nasty during the summer, so I need to be able to drive with my A/C pumpin. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

s6sputnik
08-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Rubez....looks like your the only one with FAN issues!

akielb
08-16-2007, 06:00 PM
and at least two others - myself and a guy over on AF. Check my AC thread second/third page - it will give you the PN for the fan temp sensor and how to test it

or here ya go

191 959 481C sounds like the part you would need... It is the coolant fan switch as I stated before... Don't quote me on this... I am not trying to spend your money for you, but it all kinda makse sense... Another thing I guess you can do to test this is to jump the wires at the switch connection... Here is how to do that....

Turn the key to the ON position but do not start! Make sure your car is in gear or in park and the ebrake fully engaged...

Jack up the drivers side and please use a jack stand... I have had a buddy of mine die from his head being crushed under his car just because he was going to be under there for "Just a second."

On the driver side you have an upper and lower radiator hose... On the lower hose about 4 inches away from the radiator should be an electrical connector going to your fan control switch... Remove the connector from the switch and bring it down to where you have enough room to make a jump or two... Should have three pins in there...

On the electical connector, pin 3 is your ground and 1 and 2 are your low and high respectivly... Jump from pin 3 to 1. Does the fan come on? What about pin 3 to 2? Should come in with a high speed... Let me know what you find... If it works here, then it should definatly be your switch... We have tried everything else... Don't forget too that this fan only comes on with the A/C (which isn't turning on by the way so the fan will not kick on until you resolve that.) AND it also comes on when you reach high coolant temps... I think the low speed kicks in around 85-95 degrees C and the high kicks in at 90-100 range...

rubez
08-16-2007, 07:16 PM
baller... thanks akielb. I'll check this out as soon as this stupid tropical storm passes