PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use a knockoff (ebay) Vag-Com cable???

DFlight
08-16-2007, 11:50 AM
hey all-

I've been trying to get my ebay vag-com cable to work with the vag-com software for 2 days now. I searched around for what people said was the "right" driver to use for the cable, but nothing worked. Their software just doesn't recognize the cable, like it is supposed to.

If anyone here has had success with a knockoff vag-com cable, please let me know how you got it to work!

p.s. I know some people might frown upon the fact that I bought one of those ebay knockoffs, but frankly, buying a legitimate vag-com system is just out of my budget.

Thanks in advance. [hail]

akielb
08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
how are you installing the driver?

ct1.8t4me
08-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Try these: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I had a hell of a time getting mine to work as well, but after installing these drivers it works fine. Even have it working on Vista now.

e.van
08-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm using one. Works perfectly. I had the driver for it on my computer already from tuning my buddy's car.

DFlight
08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Try these: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I had a hell of a time getting mine to work as well, but after installing these drivers it works fine. Even have it working on Vista now.

does this driver let you use the USB port as a com port? So would I just select the com port instead of USB? Also, what version are you running?

DFlight
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
just tried using the driver suggested, and the interface is still not found. Am I missing something???

discontained
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
You have to select FORCE Dumb mode.. than select USB, then test.

Pm me if u have trouble i just got mine yesterday to work and it works great

nivek
08-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Yep the drivers will drive you crazy!

Jereme
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
I got mine to work ONCE.

Vag recognizes the interface but the only control modules I can connect to are the radio and central air or w/e. I can connect to those everytime, but I cant get any of the other modules like HA the ecu or anything...

AudiSport12
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
i have tried several different cables with my 409 download on my vista and i couldnt get one of them to be recognized. i havent downloaded any drivers for any of them except one and it still didnt recognize it. does the driver pop up when the cable is plugged in?

Nebone
08-16-2007, 09:00 PM
You must select the proper COM port in Device manager for the driver that gets installed for the cable. The driver should automatically install if you have XP and up. There should be a driver called USB to Serial...something like that. Change that to an available COM port 1-4, then in CAG-COM options u select the COM port, TEST and you're good.

ct1.8t4me
08-17-2007, 05:17 AM
I am using the old version 311.2 or whatever it is. Sometimes you have to go into Device Manager and find the USB Serial Port under Ports and go deeper into the properties of it to specify a COM port between 1 and 4. Often times it will default to something like 5 or 6. The version of VAG-COM that I am using only uses 1-4. These drivers fool VAG-COM into thinking it is working with a serial port.

DGAFxxx
08-17-2007, 06:21 AM
I got the blue ebay vag cable and I use it with 311.2, I've never had to install a driver on mine, and it works like a Champ. I can connect to every module.

kewlikdat1
08-19-2007, 07:56 PM
I got mine to work ONCE.

Vag recognizes the interface but the only control modules I can connect to are the radio and central air or w/e. I can connect to those everytime, but I cant get any of the other modules like HA the ecu or anything...

Same thing for me... Jereme, were you able to get it working yet?
I'm using version 409-1