PDA

View Full Version : Custom CAI/Cone Filter setup - caution

ct1.8t4me
08-16-2007, 06:24 AM
I just went through this and I wanted to pass it on to everyone who has made a custom CAI or Cone Filter intake for their cars.

My car started acting like it had a bad MAF recently. I had just swapped out a big cone filter that I was using with a smaller one. The bigger one was wedged in there really tightly against the strut tower, so the whole assembly never moved, but with the smaller one, it was all just hanging there freestyle.

After looking around for boost leaks, unplugging the MAF, and messing around for a few days as I drove my wife's car, I decided it was the MAF and ordered a new one from WorldImpex. The part came in at $133 plus shipping and I got it very quickly. Swapped it in, and no change - the car could still not be driven as it would buck and jerk unless I gave it a lot of gas and still ran like crap.

I set down to solve the problem last night and discovered that one of the wires going to the MAF had snapped inside its own insulation. On visual inspection, nothing looked out of place, but when I felt the wire I realized I could stretch the insulation as the wire had broken.

Of course the MAF plug is basically non-serviceable so I had to get creative with my wiring to get the MAF wired back up. Now everything is fine.

Long story short: If you make a custom intake, don't let your MAF move around too much and don't let the MAF harness "suspend" the MAF as the wires may break internally and lead you down a path of troubleshooting and BS that doesn't have to happen.

Anyone know is the MAF plug can be purchased anywhere?

20vpower
08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
yup, thats why i got mine suspended by metal wire so it doesnt bounce around. looks ghetto but its better than buying a new maf!

mike-2ptzero
08-16-2007, 08:04 AM
This issue has been around since people have been using open filters which is about 6 years.

You can order the maf harness plug from the dealer and it should come with the wires too.

Jereme
08-16-2007, 08:15 AM
all just hanging there freestyle.

I to had mine just chillen freestyle and my wires broke....So i went to this audi/vw junk yard down the street and they gave me a new plug off an older passat.... so they gave me the new plug for 5$ but, when i got home I realized the wire colors were diffrent. But the plug only pugs in one direction so I just swapped each wire one at a time. It seemed like it was working really well for a while but started actuing up again just recently... i have a new maf so i feel like its something to do with my wires, I've checked them numerous times but they all seem fine..

I know its something to do with my maf but its pissing me off really badly, I feel like it may be the wires further up the line somewhere.

ct1.8t4me
08-16-2007, 08:28 AM
This issue has been around since people have been using open filters which is about 6 years.

You can order the maf harness plug from the dealer and it should come with the wires too.

Well, I think it's more like 6.25 years.

Regardless, there seem to be 3 threads a week about someone's custom CAI/Cone Setup, but no mention of this simple consideration. That's why I posted.

ct1.8t4me
08-16-2007, 08:34 AM
I called the dealer and he couldn't find the complete assembly. He showed the blank plug, and then the individual wires with the connectors that are inserted into it. All for $25...I called a local junk yard and he said he had one for $10. So I'm trying that this afternoon. My current solution is not weather tight.

audiFUEGO
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
does this issue hold for ppl who intall the evoms CAI?

I'm pretty sure that my MAF doesnt bounce around while im driving but ive been having probs with the car so maybe?

ct1.8t4me
08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like the EVOMS kit has some sort of support for the filter/MAF - so that's good. I am going to figure something out for my setup.

I got a new MAF plug for $10 from a junkyard today.

Burntaudi
08-16-2007, 11:28 AM
This is common. Used to be a real problem with the PES T28 kit since the wires were stretched so tight.

mike-2ptzero
08-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like the EVOMS kit has some sort of support for the filter/MAF - so that's good. I am going to figure something out for my setup.

I got a new MAF plug for $10 from a junkyard today.

What did you get for $10 used vs $25 new?

jlien08
08-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I had to replace my MAF within 2 weeks of installing my evoms CAI. The wires were fine, the MAF went bad. I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but could the heat radiating around it be causing a problem? I have a BlinkTek custom heatshield now, so I'm no longer concerned about it, but it may be something to consider when installing a CAI setup- aftermarket OR DIY.

a4rings
08-16-2007, 01:13 PM
where are you guys wires actually breaking? i just went and looked at the plug itself where all the wires conect to it and all the wires are still connected to the plug but on the bottom wire ther is another black wire that is coming out of the same spot and it looks like the wire has been cut but there is not place on the plug for the wire to go. it looks like the wire is meant to not connect to anything. do you guys have this?

rice_Rocket88
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Can someone show pics of the custom CAI? Any benefits of it?

jman8806
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
thanks for that caution, ima go take a look at mine

Devious27t
08-16-2007, 02:00 PM

yep! that is what i did on my old A4 the wires crack from the heat of the engine bay and being moved around. was a really cheap fix.

mike-2ptzero
08-16-2007, 02:13 PM
where are you guys wires actually breaking? i just went and looked at the plug itself where all the wires conect to it and all the wires are still connected to the plug but on the bottom wire ther is another black wire that is coming out of the same spot and it looks like the wire has been cut but there is not place on the plug for the wire to go. it looks like the wire is meant to not connect to anything. do you guys have this?

That is normal on the plug because there is no wire that goes there.

Devious27t
08-16-2007, 06:48 PM
thanks for that caution, ima go take a look at mine

if you jiggle the wires and the idle starts to go rough you need to replace the maf clip

ct1.8t4me
08-17-2007, 05:22 AM
What did you get for $10 used vs $25 new?

I got a complete plug with 12" of wires used from a junkyard vs. what the parts guy at the dealer told me: $13.00 for an empty plug that does not include the rubber weather grommets for each wire or the gasket, and 2x $6.00 for the wires with the ends already on it that I would have to cut and then insert into the plug.

ct1.8t4me
08-17-2007, 05:26 AM
On my car, the wire closest to the firewall broke internally. On visual inspection, you'd never know it, but when I started fooling with it, the idle changed and I could actually feel that the wire was broken inside the insulation. A light tug on the wire showed the insulation stretching thin and confirmed it. I think one of the reasons for this was that at one time I had my MAF oriented horizontally, which stretches the wires even more and almost suspends the whole assembly by the wires. I don't know if running the MAF horizontally or vertically makes any difference to it's performance or longevity, but the stock configuration is vertically.

My temporary fix (after realizing that the plug really isn't that easily repaired) was to just chop it off and use 4 crimp on splices. I crushed one end of each wire connector so that it slid snugly onto the pins for the MAF, then crimped the other end to the wires. It's not weather proof but it works until this weekend when I can splice in the "new" plug and harness.