PDA

View Full Version : Jack Stands . . .

Wilco
08-15-2007, 01:27 PM
So my girlie got me this sweet new jack from Costco (of all places!), but I need to pick up some new jack stands as well. I was poking around on eBay and I've been seeing these new cylindrical jack stands and I'm wondering how they differ from your typical four-point stands. They're 100x cooler looking, but they also look like they wouldn't be as stable.

I know I'm probably splitting hairs, but I'm always picky whenever I buy crap for my car. Any advice? Is it a coin toss, or is one design dramatically better than the other?

sixfiveoh
08-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Sounds interesting... link?

Wilco
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
They sorta look like those stands you use for the front end of a trailer when it's not hooked up to a htich, let me see if I can find a pic . . .

EDIT: Here we go, I just snagged this one off ebay:
http://www.usatoolwarehouse.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/otc-1533.gif

rice_Rocket88
08-15-2007, 01:37 PM
I'll take my ugly looking 4 points over those.. doesn't look so stable since it's made out of so many parts.. those pins look flimsy as well.

sixfiveoh
08-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah from what it looks like, all the weight would be on that one point? Not sure, the 4points look a little more stable, but I'm sure it's designed somehow to hold the weight.

Wilco
08-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what was making me nervous. It looks great, but I'd rather have ugly stands that keep me alive over sleek ones that could be more prone to failure than the jack itself.

But then again, if they're designed as jack stands, one would think these things would have been accounted for. The blue part of the shafts look like they might be 1/4 or 1/2 an inch thick, which might explain why it would work. But that small base still seems like it would have a hard time staying flat (and stable) on your average driveway. But who knows...