PDA

View Full Version : tightening timing belt

audiissen
08-14-2007, 10:31 PM
i guess my car needs it, how long does it take, i just got my a4 so i have no clue about anything mechanical with it, its on a 60 day warranty so i can bring it to the dealer and they will do it but i don't want to be long without it

Nukkah03
08-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Since you have no mechanical skills, I suggest you take it in and its free. Your tensioner could be bad, just get a rental for the mean time. Its not like its an Enzo or anything so a day with an A4 is ok. Rental might even be faster lol.

audiness
08-15-2007, 03:53 AM
what makes you think the timing belt needs tightened?

Ewok_Fetus
08-15-2007, 05:42 AM

x2

audiissen
08-15-2007, 11:16 AM

because when i was driving it when accelerating the car would make a chirping noise, and when i looked it up thats what the book says its from so yeah, like Nukkah03 said since i don't know anything about the mechanics im bringing it up to the dealer today and if it does have a problem then at least its under warranty

audiissen
08-15-2007, 11:18 AM

because when i was driving it when accelerating the car would make a chirping noise, and when i looked it up thats what the book says its from so yeah, like Nukkah03 said since i don't know anything about the mechanics im bringing it up to the dealer today and if it does have a problem then at least its under warranty

SurferForever
08-15-2007, 12:16 PM
you would need a new tensioner if it really does need to be done. How many miles do you have? At that point you might as well do the whole ecs kit . . .

onemoremile
08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
There is a good chance that if you ask for something like that (or blinker fluid, muffler bearings, etc.) that you'll get taken advantage of. The timing belt has a tensioner which is spring loaded so it constantly keeps the belt tight. The only belt you can manually tighten is for the air conditioning.

60 day warranty means you just bought the car. If it needs the belt and tensioner replaced then it should have been done before the sale. See if you can find out when it was done last. How many miles are on the car?

audiissen
08-15-2007, 08:38 PM
the car has 110,000 miles on it and i bought it for 6 grand, and they claimed that it was changed when they got it in so it is supposedly brand new, i called them up and they said that they will fix it i just need to bring it there, which stinks because its out of my way

akielb
08-16-2007, 05:49 AM
they say they will fix it and your still bitching........wow

onemoremile
08-16-2007, 05:51 AM
Definitely have them check it out. Going out of your way is much better than being stranded with a broken engine.

SirDaft1
08-16-2007, 06:13 AM
i can vouch for that.

Definitely have them check it out. Going out of your way is much better than being stranded with a broken engine.