PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

stdriver
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey guys i have 2 questions for you, im new to audi just got a B5 1.8 and love it (any performance parts willing to sell msg me)... Anyways i have a weird rattling noise when i rev my motor from 0 to about 4500rpm and lift of the gas, does someone know what this is? Also iv heard many things about blow off valves, are they worth getting? i heard you could blow your motor yup if it is not set correctly?

thanks.

TMorris
08-13-2007, 10:30 PM
http://www.audiwiki.net/Blow-Off_Valves_vs._Diverter_Valves

you want a DV, although it is possible to run a BOV as people will post

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Does it sound like a diesel truck?
when was your timing belt last changed?

TH85
08-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Does it sound like a diesel truck?
when was your timing belt last changed?

i got my timing belt replaced like 2 weeks ago and started hearing a rattling noise at low rpm's....especially in reverse or when i start up the car its pretty loud...and today when i started it, it was louder than usual..but when i drive around for awhile the rattling goes away.

took it to the dealership that replaced my timing belts and they said it should be fine...
so should i just take it back and have them fix it??

hey4
08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
did you try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from? that would help. Have someone rev the engine while you're looking to see where the noise is coming from.
as far as a BOV, just search it's been discussed every other day.
PS. there is only 1 timing belt, unless you have two and the extra one is making noise[:D]

TH85
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
alright thanks man...i actually will end up taking it over there..
i really dont like listening to my engine rattle after paying $$$$$$ to replace the belt

audiluver
08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
sounds like you may need a timing chain tensioner. mine made a rattling noise like that when i let off the gas before i replaced it

Audi91a4
08-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Its probably your cat. When the biscuit inside the converter goes it will rattle around especially during a cold start and lower rpms.