PDA

View Full Version : roof rack

wafballa54
08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
im thinking about getting a snowboard roof rack for my 99.5 sedan. i was wondering if anyone knew all the parts i would need. rite now i have nothing on my roof so i would need everything starting from scratch. i really like the way this looks on our cars and im a big snowboarder soo thought it would work out well.

Kyle H
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
I think the big thing around here are Thule racks, onemoremile and A4Rob (I think) are the big players to talk to about it.

RippleChip
08-14-2007, 04:53 AM
Best way to do it is use Yakima or Thule website and do the fit kit for your car. It will tell you the parts you need. Basically, clips, feet, bars, locks, rack/box

libtech75
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
I have a Saris Rack I purchased for my Jag and just bought different clips to retrofit it to my 2001 A4.

The Jag had factory mounting holes for a factory rack which was just a rebadged Thule unit (same one BMW uses). I prefer the Saris because it's easier on and off, and it's lower profile so you don't get tons of noise when you are driving because of wind.

You can get Saris 50" bars on ebay sometimes for under $100 and just buy the correct clips that fit on your car ($20 a pair, you need two pairs) online. After you get the bars and clips, you can purchase the Snowboard attachment that will hold two snowboards back to front for $100.

I bought my bars on ebay for $50, got the clips on ebay for $20 and bought the snowboard attachment new from rackattack for $100. So overall it was under $200 for a full rack plus all attachments.

A4Rob
08-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Ditto what Ripple said. Or just go to REI or your outdoor store and they will help you get the parts you need

wafballa54
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
thanks guys.

audiness
08-14-2007, 02:52 PM
yakima's are the best, but a full setup ran me well over $500

RippleChip
08-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Check online and in classifieds. There are often setups being sold on AZ/AW, actually one in the classifieds right now, and that can save a lot of coin

The1amRadio
08-14-2007, 08:42 PM
It's too bad, I just sold a complete yakima set (Q-towers, bars, feet) locally.all you would have needed would be q-clips for your car which are $25. I worked as a ski tech and kayak demonstrator at a local outdoor shop for a couple years that sold both and I've had yakima and thule and i definitely like yakima more. They are a bit pricey but they have more options and the round bars are MUCH better when synching down load straps on boats and what not. We've got a yakima set up for 6 cars, they are great, definitely get my vote! But thule is still a nice system, either way, pick one of the two and you'll end up with a solid system.