PDA

View Full Version : Changing Engine Oil

1badsup
08-12-2007, 08:16 AM
I searched but didn't find my answer.

I have a 99 1.8L Quattro Turbo and the replace oil warning came on. I checked underneath the engine and saw what looks like the drain plug but it looks like I need a HEX tool to remove it. Is that right or should I remove the plastic cover under the car?

After I change the oil and oil filter, how do I clear the replace oil warning?

Thanks in advance.

nomoore
08-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Remove the plastic cover (6 EASY screws). Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the cover and look a little further than to go into the house, boot the computer, open the browser, go to audizine, post a question, wait a while for the answer, etc?

nomoore
08-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Uhhh.... come to think of it.... What the HELL is this doing in Tech Talk? This is for seriously technical discussions, not how to do the most basic maintenance. Moderators, can this be moved/deleted/something? Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! 1badsup has a join date of March. I feel like I've been baited.

Militant-Grunt
08-13-2007, 09:56 AM
The oil plug on the oil pan is a 17 or 18, I don't remember exactly. Make sure the engine is warm when you change the oil, open the oil cap on top of the engine before draining the oil. Then after you drain all the oil, screw the drain plug back in. Then you'll need an oil filter removal tool, remove the oil filter from the oil cooler, let all the oil drain out. Before installing new filter, dip finger in oil, put it all around the gasket on the oil filter, then screw on only by hand as tight as only your hand can tighten. Fill the first 3 quarts to the max, then 4th bottle do slowly (I always buy 5, because sometimes it just needs 4 and a little, sometimes less), sometimes the engine has excess oil in nooks and crannies, keep checking dip stick until the oil shows full. Once that is done, close oil cap, put dip stick back. Start the car for 1-2 minutes, turn off, wait a minute, take out dipstick, check oil level, and add to full (the oil always needs to be added after this point).

I think thats about it, correct me if I'm wrong.

1badsup
08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Remove the plastic cover (6 EASY screws). Wouldn't it have been easier to remove the cover and look a little further than to go into the house, boot the computer, open the browser, go to audizine, post a question, wait a while for the answer, etc?

It's actually 10 screws, I posted because of I wasn't sure if the search result I saw was for '99 and I couldn't find the answer on how to clear the service oil message. Believe me I searched and searched before I asked so I wouldn't have to deal with a wise ass like you. You waisted 2 posts just to complain about my question.

1badsup
08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
The oil plug on the oil pan is a 17 or 18, I don't remember exactly. Make sure the engine is warm when you change the oil, open the oil cap on top of the engine before draining the oil. Then after you drain all the oil, screw the drain plug back in. Then you'll need an oil filter removal tool, remove the oil filter from the oil cooler, let all the oil drain out. Before installing new filter, dip finger in oil, put it all around the gasket on the oil filter, then screw on only by hand as tight as only your hand can tighten. Fill the first 3 quarts to the max, then 4th bottle do slowly (I always buy 5, because sometimes it just needs 4 and a little, sometimes less), sometimes the engine has excess oil in nooks and crannies, keep checking dip stick until the oil shows full. Once that is done, close oil cap, put dip stick back. Start the car for 1-2 minutes, turn off, wait a minute, take out dipstick, check oil level, and add to full (the oil always needs to be added after this point).

I think thats about it, correct me if I'm wrong.

I ended up removing the plastic cover and figured it out but I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post with a detailed instruction.

My only question now is how to clear the "service oil" message on the mileage display.

Thanks again.

ActiveMonkey
08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
older b5
1. Insert your key into the ignition.
2. Push in the odometer reset button, hold it in, and turn the key to the first click.
3. The display should read either "oil" or "service" if it does not, repeat steps #1 and #2.
4. To reset, pull out your instrument light dimmer button at the bottom of the tachometer.
5. Turn the ignition to the off position. When the ignition is turned back on, the display should be back to the trip odometer.

newer b5
2. Push in the odometer reset button, hold it in, and turn the key to the first click.
3. The display should read either "oil" or "service" if it does not, repeat steps #1 and #2.
4. To reset, push the clock adjustment knob the bottom of the tachometer.
5. Turn the ignition to the off position. When the ignition is turned back on, the display should be back to the trip odometer.

Xenogen
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Dont forget the gallon ziplock over the oil filter so the oil doesn't get all over the subframe.

1badsup
08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
older b5
4. To reset, pull out your instrument light dimmer button at the bottom of the tachometer.

newer b5
4. To reset, push the clock adjustment knob the bottom of the tachometer.

Thanks a lot. Annoying message is finally gone.

1badsup
08-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Dont forget the gallon ziplock over the oil filter so the oil doesn't get all over the subframe.

Yes, to that and removing the coolant reservoir made it easier to remove the filter.

onemoremile
08-14-2007, 06:55 AM
I didn't see any mention of prefilling the filter. Always fill the oil filer about 2/3 full before installing.

My drain plug hasn't been touched in a very long time. I use a Pela oil extractor to suck all the oil out through the dipstick tube. I can do it with the oil very hot with no risk of getting burned and the car doesn't have to be jacked up. The only messy part is getting the filter off.

nomoore
08-14-2007, 07:16 AM
It's actually 10 screws, I posted because of I wasn't sure if the search result I saw was for '99 and I couldn't find the answer on how to clear the service oil message. Believe me I searched and searched before I asked so I wouldn't have to deal with a wise ass like you. You waisted 2 posts just to complain about my question.

My first post had absolutely no ill intentions. My second post definitely does look a bit harsh. I apologize for anything taken as a "wise ass" comment. PM sent.

Militant-Grunt
08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
I didn't see any mention of prefilling the filter. Always fill the oil filer about 2/3 full before installing.

My drain plug hasn't been touched in a very long time. I use a Pela oil extractor to suck all the oil out through the dipstick tube. I can do it with the oil very hot with no risk of getting burned and the car doesn't have to be jacked up. The only messy part is getting the filter off.

I don't bother with that because thats the step where I start the motor for a minute, its usually 4/5th's of a dip stick whatever is in the oil filter, I think its more accurate that way as you can add as much oil as you exactly much and not too much.

onemoremile
08-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Oil runs through the filter before entering the engine. The dry filter media needs to soak up oil before it does anything. Running a filter dry with such high oil pressure can harm the filter media and cause real problems. Filters should ALWAYS be prefilled and allowed to sit for a minute before installing. That is basic car care right there.

Starting a car with a dry filter ensure a longer dry start. No oil for a longer time is bad news no matter how you look at it.

audiproud
10-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Always use the larger filter for the 1.8T, no the Fram or similar size, got this from a
"real-wise" Audi Tech.