PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack You Sob!!!

Poopie
08-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Stupid shit went out on me last night. I thought i was just low on fluids....bought a $22 bottle of pentosin and 2 miles down the road it starts groaning on me. I could not find the leak in any of the usual spots and then it it hit me....my rack must be leaking. OH LOOK! my tie rods boots are wet with fluid. How wonderful. Anyways, where can I get a cheap rack? How bad is it to install?

Nebone
08-12-2007, 01:29 AM
Its a MAJOR job man. I replaced once on a MK4 and at times needed 3 people to do certain tasks. You can buy a used rack or a new one if you prefer. Get a Bentley and start wrenching.

Ewok_Fetus
08-12-2007, 02:16 AM
It isn't a MAJOR job... A clutch is a major job... The rack took maybe all of 5 hours for me to do with a bad back and a few breaks in between... The ONLY hard part is getting the hydraulic lines off of the rack as you will need to smash your hands... On a 1.8 though it may be different... There was a heatshield over this in my 2.8 that I couldn't get to those bolts because of it...

Poopie
08-12-2007, 08:27 AM
i already got the heat sheilds off and he tie rod assemblys. I hit a little snag with the bolts that hold the rack to the body. Anyone know what size those are? It looks like once I undo the steering joint and the hydrolic lines its free sailing. I've done a clutch 6 times already.

Ewok_Fetus
08-12-2007, 08:37 AM
The bolts are 12mm 12pt I think... And one tip, lock the steering wheel in place in center when you are taking the steering rod off... I accidentally let mine go free with the key in place and wife turned the wheel while it was off... Bad stuff...

Poopie
08-12-2007, 09:35 AM
The bolts are 12mm 12pt I think... And one tip, lock the steering wheel in place in center when you are taking the steering rod off... I accidentally let mine go free with the key in place and wife turned the wheel while it was off... Bad stuff...

Its a 10mm 12 point. Luckely its the only 12 point I own. Haha. How do I get the hydrolic lines off? One looks like a 22mm bolt.

Ewok_Fetus
08-12-2007, 09:53 AM
One is 19 and the other is 22... Good luck with a ratchet in there...

Nebone
08-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Allrite its not a MAJOR job then. Hardest part was getting the Hydraulic lines to line up with the new rack. They are hard lines and have a limited movement so its tough and u need someone to help you out.

Poopie
08-12-2007, 11:43 AM
hard lines are off, top two 10mm bolts are off, tie rods are off, boots are off. How do I get to the steering shaft joint bolt to take that off? I can't seem to get the boot off to reach it. Should I take that other 10mm bolt from the bottom off and see if I can jiggle the rack forward? Also, I'm getting a remanufactured rack tomarrow...do they come centered? What is the process of centering the rack?

Poopie
08-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Got the sucker out. I'm gonna put together a write up...sorry no pics though. The job is too messy for pics.

Ewok_Fetus
08-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Hehehe, did I mention that there is a write-up on Audiworld with pics?!

Poopie
08-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Not anymore, the link takes you else where. No write up to be found. Its pretty straight forward though. Just messy.

Burntaudi
08-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Don't get cheap parts. Go new or a good quality rebuild. I would skip used since this seems to be common.

Ewok_Fetus
08-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Funny, I could get to it just fine...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc-40.shtml

Poopie
08-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm getting a rebuilt one..

Ewok...thats weak...DAMNIT. I somehow couldn't find it in the tech section. I was looking in the audiworld FAQ and some guy walt had a write up.