PDA

View Full Version : Noob Nav question RNS-E vs aftermarket

Uncompiled
08-10-2007, 01:55 PM
I know this has been asked a billion times already, but I'm hoping you guys will humor my request, especially since I did do some searching on the subject :)

I'm writing up my pro's/con's list of whether I go OEM or aftermarket (Z2) Nav.

From what I've been able to piece together,

Aftermarket Pro's:
touchscreen
(potentially) cheaper price for same/more features
HD based
Voice based
intuitive use
warranty

Aftermarket Con's:
not an OEM Look
loss of DIS (is this just for radio/NAV, or is ALL DIS info lost? i.e. low gas/diagnostic, etc)

OEM Pro's:
direct fit, no custom mounting plates/trim required
DIS use retained.

OEM Con's:
no touchscreen
more expensive
BT and Sat radio adapters more expensive
No voice activation
not as intuitive
little to no warranty

Does that about sum it up, or are there other issues I'm glossing over/missing entirely?

Thanks for humoring me guys,
-Dave

In case it's relevant, this is going in an 04 B6 S4, with Symph II/Bose, with Onstar.

DBLAAsS4
08-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I have an 04 B6 S4 as well. I just put in the RSN-e last month and finally got around to installing the Farka cable for the GPS last weekend. I like my unit and I also bought the OEM BT component to replace my onstar. I picked up the BT module and RSN-e unit for less than $2000. I also got the US unit not Euro one. This weekend I am going to install the BT module.

travisfreeman
08-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I have an 04 B6 S4 as well. I just put in the RSN-e last month and finally got around to installing the Farka cable for the GPS last weekend. I like my unit and I also bought the OEM BT component to replace my onstar. I picked up the BT module and RSN-e unit for less than $2000. I also got the US unit not Euro one. This weekend I am going to install the BT module.

Where did you pick up your RSN-E?

mercury26
08-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I have US RNS-E for sale. I have the whole kit available. Feel free to PM me or email me at chasek72@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Chuck

DBLAAsS4
08-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I picked my unit up off of the navplus.us board. There are a few people who sell on there.

Uncompiled
08-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Can anyone think of anything else I've missed? Or have I pretty much hit everything?