PDA

View Full Version : No Speedometer, & Tranny Makes HORRIBLE sound. Help/Opinions.

ActiveMonkey
08-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Ok, my car is having two major problems.

1 - My speedometer just stopped working. Comes on goes off, very intermittent.
-No idea what could be the issue. Don't think it's the wheel speed sensor since i don't have an ABS light on. Maybe transmission sensor? if so, how do i fix that one.

2 - My first gear sounds like a tractor. Omg it is horrible. Loud loud clicking.
-Was told it might be the drivers side bearing since the speedometer is out too. But i really don't know on this one. It's really loud in 1st, but in all other gears it just sounds like something is not tight.

Anyones opinions & suggestions are welcome.

btw - The car did throw a CEL, but no VAG to scan.

SurferForever
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
speed sensor is shot, get a new one

onemoremile
08-09-2007, 10:43 PM
There is some pertinent info in this thread:

http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142342

bikerbrk
08-09-2007, 11:28 PM
I wouldnt be suprised if its the tranny. There is a plastic ring inside it that sends the signal to the VSS. My speedo stopped working and I thought it was either the VSS or cluster but it turns out its the tranny. Its dying and metal pieces are tearing apart the plastic ring. The shop put a new one in and glued it in place. Works for now, but eventually I'm gonna need a new transmission. All for the stupid speedometer to work.

Nukkah03
08-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Ok, my car is having two major problems.

1 - My speedometer just stopped working. Comes on goes off, very intermittent.
-No idea what could be the issue. Don't think it's the wheel speed sensor since i don't have an ABS light on. Maybe transmission sensor? if so, how do i fix that one.

2 - My first gear sounds like a tractor. Omg it is horrible. Loud loud clicking.
-Was told it might be the drivers side bearing since the speedometer is out too. But i really don't know on this one. It's really loud in 1st, but in all other gears it just sounds like something is not tight.

Anyones opinions & suggestions are welcome.

btw - The car did throw a CEL, but no VAG to scan.

dude I have the same damn problem, must be a pearl white thing lol. First gears makes like a loud clunking sound and then the rest of the gears is ok. I bought a 2.8 tranny just in case and it was only $150 so its worth a shot.

ActiveMonkey
08-10-2007, 01:07 AM
hell yea. If i found a deal light that i'd be outside right now swapping that shit out.

Nukkah03
08-10-2007, 01:44 AM
I was reading on audiworld and they said it can be an input shaft bearing or the shaft itself to cause all the noises.

pmoss
08-10-2007, 07:18 AM
I had this happen to me - lost the speedo and had bad noises. Replaced the speed sensor and that didnt help. I had to replace the transmission.