PDA

View Full Version : 97 1.8t with blown head, what are my options

urban96
08-09-2007, 08:49 PM
new to the 1.8t world and just wondering what motors/heads i can use on this 97. Ive read that i need an AEB code head/block (manual transmission)

Not looking to spend too much money on it as of now, just wanna get it going again

thanks[wrench]

GR-RALLYE
08-10-2007, 12:59 AM
check car-part.com and the classifieds for people parting their cars. The head doesn't matter if its manual or auto, the crank does though, you would need one from a manual. It may be cheaper to get a entire new engine and just swap it in.

Your probably looking at around $1-2k if you DIY

jrodmk2
08-10-2007, 07:24 AM
you could check vwvortex.com for this also.

mike-2ptzero
08-10-2007, 07:38 AM
new to the 1.8t world and just wondering what motors/heads i can use on this 97. Ive read that i need an AEB code head/block (manual transmission)

Not looking to spend too much money on it as of now, just wanna get it going again

thanks[wrench]

What is blown exactly? Do you need just a new head gasket, new head or did the enging itself blow?

aytheory
08-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I am curious too - most shop charges an arm and a leg to replace a head gasket.

If the head or and part of the engine is damaged - then it is time to get a new one and the best places would be either ebay or car-parts.com

Also who diagnosed you with a blown head gasket - what were the numbers for leak and compression test?

I wish someone wrote a write up for head gasket - cough* cough* mike

urban96
08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
car is sitting at the stealership right now, im not 100% sure what exactly is wrong with it, just going on what the owner has told me. but the dealership quoted him almost 4K in labor/parts.

im pretty mechanical and have done a few engine/transmission swaps. Just doing some HW b4 i jump into a new project. If its just a head gasket that shouldnt be much of a problem at all for me.

gonna talk to the owner more today and probably the dealership techs also

Rosati
08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
20v head is the ideal head for any VW 4cylinder.

"Blown" is a bit vague Gasket is no problem of a job, probably takes an hour or 2 for a first timer

If you need a machine shop, i can send you to my guys who helped me out and would be pleased to work on your head, but we dont know whats wrong w/ it...

Bent valves are the most common bc of the timing belt failures.

Def. talk to the techs and find out whats going on

urban96
08-12-2007, 02:06 PM
ok more info-

dealership says the head is cracked. This a common problem?

when i have the head off there anything i should look for/clean while im in there?

Ive been reading up about sludge problems these motors have, could this have caused the head to crack?

urban96
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
got it torn apart a bit today.

pulled the valve cover and it wasnt pretty. black crud all over. The cam tensioner plastic pieces were all melted and worn down to the metal in spots.

did a compression test and only cylenders 2&3 had pressure. 1 & 4 read 0

gotta pull the head now and go from there

whats a good way to clean all that crap out with the engine opend up? ill get pics tomorrow