PDA

View Full Version : Alternator replacement 2.8?

EnjoyIncs
08-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I searched and found nothing. I have a 01 2.8 and recently the battery has been dying. It holds a charge just fine. But I don’t think the alternator has been charging it. If the battery is charged the car will start and the battery gauge will read just at 12v. When I rev the engine the gauge will jump to 14v and stay there even when I take my foot off the gas, and the battery light will come on. Not the yellow warning but the little red one in the upper right. So I’m guessing I need a new alt. My question is how do you replace it on a 2.8? Do you need to take off the whole front end or can you get in there from underneath?

Militant-Grunt
08-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh they're gay to do. Ive seen it done, you do have to take off the whole bumper, its way down below on the passenger side of the engine. Not a fun part replacement thats for sure.

98Black30V
08-09-2007, 10:35 AM
If you've taken your front clip off before, and know how to do it then it's not THAT difficult of a job. If you're comfortable taking the front bumper off, you can just unbolt the radiator support, swing it out from the passenger side without removing any radiator hoses, and get to the alternator. The only HUGE pain in the ass part to the whole thing is getting a wrench on the nut for one of the mounting points. It's a really tight space and you WILL end up bashing your knuckles on something.

wood_e
08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
First time I did it it took a while - The bumper needs to come off and the radiator support needs ot be slid forward. Other than that it's not so bad... remember... the bolt nearest to the crank has threading on the block, the top bolt has a nut.