PDA

View Full Version : Auto-leveling headlights?

98Black30V
08-08-2007, 05:17 AM
So the new headlights I got have the motors in them for the auto leveling. The only problem is, they're going into my 98, which has the 2-piece halogens stock. Is there any way I can wire up the new lights to utilize the auto leveling feature?

98Black30V
08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Nobody???

sixfiveoh
08-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Don't quote me, but I don't believe it can be done.

I don't even understand what the autoleveling is or does... but from what I've heard, the pre-facelifts aren't compatible.

Wilco
08-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Nope, can't be done without a lot of time, money, and work (after which you'll wonder why you wasted all of it on such a small change).

If I remember right, the levelling motors connect to the ECU, as does the suspension. Then the ECU determines the proper angle for the headlights and adjusts them accordingly.

The next best thing is to do what I'm working on, which is to wire in some switches to adjust them manually. You can pick up some OEM ones that will fit in with your heated seat dials, fog light switch, hazard switch, etc. and then get the wiring kit from ECS Tuning. Then you can just flip the dial whenever you're on a backroad somewhere and raise the beams up instead of using your crappy halogen high beams.

sixfiveoh
08-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Ooh, sounds sweet. The new STis have that. Let me know how that project goes...

Nor_Cal_Driver
08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
They are fun to watch.

sixfiveoh
08-09-2007, 03:44 PM
When do they do it? I've never seen mine do it, how do I make them level?

speedydragon
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM
When do they do it? I've never seen mine do it, how do I make them level?

I highly doubt you have leveling motors in your car. Unless you have S4 ecodes, and previously owner bought the oem HID kit with the auto-leveling motors. If you see some1 driving a b7 with HID at the next meet, tell them to turn their headlights on ^^ it's a blast to watch :D

speedydragon
08-09-2007, 05:19 PM
eek double post! oops :|

Nor_Cal_Driver
08-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I highly doubt you have leveling motors in your car. Unless you have S4 ecodes, and previously owner bought the oem HID kit with the auto-leveling motors. If you see some1 driving a b7 with HID at the next meet, tell them to turn their headlights on ^^ it's a blast to watch :D

I have them on my 01.5, the most noticeable time to see them level is when they haven't been on for a few hours, the light beam shoots up high then slowly creeps level, pointing on a garage door makes it very easy to see.

e.van
08-10-2007, 12:17 PM
My buddy has an '00 S4. The headlights don't "auto-level" when he turns the car on (like my buddy's '04 A4), but with VAG-COM, I can "auto-level" them manually.

kextyn
08-13-2007, 11:18 AM
I have them on my 01.5, the most noticeable time to see them level is when they haven't been on for a few hours, the light beam shoots up high then slowly creeps level, pointing on a garage door makes it very easy to see.

Same thing here on my 2001.5. But I hated how low they were stock so I used the adjustment screws to raise them just a tad. They're still low enough to not blind anyone though. Comes up to about license plate on a normal car in front of me.