PDA

View Full Version : Esp?

sixfiveoh
08-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Do I have it? That's traction control, right? I thought all 2001+ FronTraks came with it, though I don't have a button on the dash for it. When I start my car, I don't see ESP pop up anywhere, though I do see an EPC light. What's that?

My car is a 2001 FWD 5spd Sport FWIW.

sixfiveoh
08-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Anyone?

TMorris
08-07-2007, 09:22 PM
wish i could help, im a quattro guy.

bump for help

speedydragon
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
if you have esp, there should b e a esp button right next to the rear fog light button. epc is the drive by wire thingy.

btw Joe, how did you change the bulbs for your fogs? thanks :D

sixfiveoh
08-07-2007, 11:03 PM
if you have esp, there should b e a esp button right next to the rear fog light button. epc is the drive by wire thingy.

btw Joe, how did you change the bulbs for your fogs? thanks :D

Bah. No traction control for me? How am I gonna keep my MAD HP from spinning my wheels for 2 minutes straight [headbang]

They're not bulbs, it's transparent yellow paint [:D]. Can be found at Talbots Toyland in downtown San Mateo

sixfiveoh
08-08-2007, 10:52 AM
So is it a big deal that I don't have ESP? Some guys say they wish they didn't have it? Should I be bummed?

Militant-Grunt
08-08-2007, 11:06 AM
So is it a big deal that I don't have ESP? Some guys say they wish they didn't have it? Should I be bummed?

Why would you want it? You have quattro, our cars don't loose it particularly easily. You have no electronic nanny controlling wheel spin, you can have some fun. The only time I'd see ESP as useful would be in extremely heavy downpours where theres a good few inches of water on the ground and you're hydroplaning all over. Other than that I wouldn't want it.

sixfiveoh
08-08-2007, 11:10 AM
You have quattro

[:D]

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Bah. No traction control for me? How am I gonna keep my MAD HP from spinning my wheels for 2 minutes straight [headbang]

They're not bulbs, it's transparent yellow paint [:D]. Can be found at Talbots Toyland in downtown San Mateo

LOL, you have this thing called a muscle in your right foot that can make your foot pull back on the throttle. [:p]

ESP controls wheel spin by closing the throttle plate which then decreases power. It is not going to make your car faster then if you actually learn how to control wheel spin yourself.

98Black30V
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
My car is a 98 and has it.... maybe it was just a 2.8 thing?

Militant-Grunt
08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
[:D]

Lol wait nvm. Didn't notice that.

lml999
08-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Do I have it? That's traction control, right? I thought all 2001+ FronTraks came with it, though I don't have a button on the dash for it. When I start my car, I don't see ESP pop up anywhere, though I do see an EPC light. What's that?

No.

Traction control and ESP are two different functions. Search the Fine Website and you'll be enlightened.

sixfiveoh
08-08-2007, 09:50 PM
No.

Traction control and ESP are two different functions. Search the Fine Website and you'll be enlightened.

Okay... I searched ESP, and only found a few threads that didn't give me my answer... Do you have something I could look at?

speedydragon
08-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Here's my take one these two electronic devices, these two definitions are in my own words so some parts maybe false.

Esp: this device only activates when the computer senses that one or more of your wheels are slipping/losing traction in slippery conditions (ice/snow). Once it activates, it sends power to the remaining wheels, to make sure everything works out right. I bleive this device only activates when you're car is turning.

Traction control: this device activates usually under hard accelration. Once it senses that your wheels are slipping, the computer automatically alpplies the brakes to the slipping wheels at an even rate.

thant's all I know, correct me if i'm wrong. I'm pretty sure it's inaccurate :|

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Here, from the Audi AG web site.

ESP

The electronic stabilization program (ESP) increases vehicle control in situations near the vehicle’s limits. It reduces the risk of skidding and helps to keep the vehicle on course. ESP recognizes the course desired and the car’s reactions. Through brake application at individual wheels, it generates one-sided forces which help the car to move in the desired direction. The ESP program uses other driving aids: the anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), the electronic differential lock (EDL) and the traction control (ASR) system, and is permanently engaged.
Note:
ESP cannot suspend or extend limits imposed by the laws of physics. If a driver exceeds the capabilities of the suspension system and ESP, even ESP cannot prevent loss of control and an accident.

EDL

The electronic differential lock (EDL) permits smooth, comfortable starts on road surfaces that do not have a uniform coefficient of friction. If a wheel starts to spin, EDL brakes it as necessary so that power is transmitted to the wheel with the better traction. EDL reduces tire wear and works up to about. 40 km/h (quattro®: up to about 80 km/h). EDL is part of the electronic stabilization program (ESP) and the traction control (ASR).

ASR

For today’s typical high-torque engines, a form of wheelslip regulation or traction control (ASR) can increase both comfort and safety, particularly on surfaces with differing coefficients of friction or on slippery roads. It makes smooth starts and acceleration possible through all speed ranges without wheel-spin or fishtailing.
ASR only operates in conjunction with the electronic accelerator (E gas) and uses components of the anti-lock braking system (ABS). If one wheel suddenly begins to rotate faster than the others (slip), ASR intervenes in the engine management system and reduces power until the wheel stops spinning.
ASR improves traction and can help the driver maintain control even if the limit of adhesion is inadvertently reached while cornering. In addition, it reduces tire wear. ASR activation, is indicated by a flashing light in the instrument cluster; it works with the electronic differential lock (EDL) and it is also part of the electronic stabilization program (ESP). ASR can be deactivated with the ESP switch.