PDA

View Full Version : Broken wastegate

cmorse
08-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I have a 98 quattro with 122k on it and just found out today that my wastegate flap is broken off. I am wondering if the wastegate is rebuildable or not. If so, where is the best place to get one? It was a pita to get the turbo off so I am also wondering if i can bolt in a ko4 and do the fuel mods and fmic later? The car has mtm stage 1 chip and exhaust, forge dv and aftermarket intake(not sure which one, it was on the car when i got it). Money is really tight right now, but i dont want to put a worn out turbo back in the car and have to replace it again later.
Thanks for any advice.

daesharacor
08-07-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm in the process of bolting on a k04 myself... doesn't seem too difficult, the most expensive thing (other than the turbo) is the software. figure at least 600 for a gpopshop k04, more for a brandy new one, less for a used one. Then you need software to take advantage of it, and usually supporting fuel mods.

That being said, I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that there's a problem running simply a k04 in place of a k03 with no mods. I don't believe you'll get a significant performance change at all, since your car won't really "know" about the k04, but if you're going to do the other mods soon anyway, go for it.

[correct me if i'm wrong]

darth tater
08-07-2007, 07:39 AM
wastegate is weld to the flapper on these cars.. so no, turbo must be replaced or swap out the exhaust housing and wastegate from someone who is doing a turbo swap.

but that time and effort would be a waste realy.

southpaw10
08-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I was in the same position you were. No was the answer I got for rebuilding the flap. That being said, a k03 can be had for cheap in the classifieds. Sure you can drop a k04 in there. Same size as k03 so there wont be any trouble. You'd be fine running your software on it, just wont get everything out of the k04 performance wise.

cmorse
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM
So will the car act the same as when it has a k03? Will i risk the chance of hurting anything? I know i wont be getting everything out of the ko4 untill i change the software, i just dont want to put something in there and then have upgrade again later it seems like a waste.

mike-2ptzero
08-07-2007, 07:57 AM
A K04 will run push more boost when ran with a K03 chip, this is because the psi rating of the K04 wg actuator is slightly higher.

southpaw10
08-07-2007, 07:58 AM
You would notice minimal change without proper software. K04 will be fine with k03 software, very slight difference between k03 and k04. Not like your strapping a 28rs in their, then youd want to get the right software.

cmorse
08-07-2007, 08:02 AM
so will it push more boost just because of the way it is set? Will my tune be able to comp for this? I have done some searching on k04's and some people were saying that you need to adjust the actuator before putting in the turbo. Is that true and if so how much slack/tension should be on the actuator? Also what is a good place to buy a k04? I have looked at supreme power and kinetic motorsport but are there any other reliable shops?

southpaw10
08-07-2007, 08:11 AM
kinetic motorsport, contact them through fourtitude forums.
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2029936

Probably the cheapest you'll find them new. It where I got mine.

Matt@JHM
08-07-2007, 09:20 AM
I saw a K03s is the classified for $150 plus shipping. Yes i know your all going to say never replace a k03 with a k03, but when money is tight it's really the only logical option.

Here's the link: http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152004&highlight=k03s+%24150 Scroll down a bit.

Militant-Grunt
08-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I have a 98 quattro with 122k on it and just found out today that my wastegate flap is broken off. I am wondering if the wastegate is rebuildable or not. If so, where is the best place to get one? It was a pita to get the turbo off so I am also wondering if i can bolt in a ko4 and do the fuel mods and fmic later? The car has mtm stage 1 chip and exhaust, forge dv and aftermarket intake(not sure which one, it was on the car when i got it). Money is really tight right now, but i dont want to put a worn out turbo back in the car and have to replace it again later.
Thanks for any advice.

Taking the turbo off is cake (well I did it 6 times already). You dont need all of that to put the k04 in, it'll run just not at its full potential. Supreme Power Parts sells K04's for 750.

cmorse
08-07-2007, 01:22 PM
well i guess as many others it was my first time taking the turbo off so thats probably why i had so much trouble. I have been doing a little more research and i have been told that i should double check on the mtm software before i bolt in the ko4. I am waiting on an email back from hoppen motorsports but if anyone has a phone # for them it would be great, i couldnt find one on there website.
Also, i am contemplating trying to do the software now. If i try this do i need to do fuel mods. People talk about the different tunes and i dont know much about them. It seems that the giac pc16 file is really popular. If I use this which injectors and fpr do i need? Do I need a fmic to start with or can i wait a bit for that? Supreme told me that i can get a tune from them for $550, but he wasn't sure whick one that was. Were else is a good place to get the sorware and what is a reasonable price to pay.

Bic-Ball
08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
my flap broke off, i replaced my turbo with one i found in the classifieds.

cmorse
08-08-2007, 02:48 AM
any help with the fueling setup. I found a used pc16 chip and am leaning towards that. How about fmic now or later(after break in)?

dualaudi
08-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I ran a Ko4 for a few months on PC16 file w/o FMIC - I didn't race it from stoplight to stoplight though since my air temps were higher...

If you can get a good deal on a used k04 go that route (300-400)... unless you are definitely looking forward to upgrading to a k04 brand new.. i can't see spending over $700 for a k04...