PDA

View Full Version : MAF and stuttering Q's

AudiSport12
08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
will a 99.5 MAF work with my 97?

i believe the stuttering problem i've had with my car is MAF related. i think it is going out and i cannot log readings because i havent gotten a new cable for my VAG-COM. i leave for school on saturday so i dont have time for shipping.

anyways, a local guy has a used MAF for $20 shipped (or im sure i could pick up) and i just want to try a swap before i drop hundereds on a reman or a new MAF.

from my research on ecstuning.com, if your last 6 numbers of the vin is over 80000 than it requires a differnt MAF than that of a car with a vin number less than 80000. it shows in ECS that you need a different MAF for a 99.5 and an 97. i just want a test MAF to see if anything helps

i also did a pressure test in the intake side to find any leaks. i found 3 and fixed two of them which only made my stuttering worse. i cannot even get on the gas decently hard before the car starts jerking and cutting out.

this leaves me to believe that the MAF is the culprit as the coilpacks and plugs are fine.

ONE of the original threads:
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132662

AudiSport12
08-06-2007, 08:40 PM
any ideas?

just did another pressure test and found 2 more.

Jereme
08-06-2007, 11:10 PM
should be fine.... I ran my buddies 00 in my 98 and it pulled wayyyyy harder.

and some guy at a local audi shop told me that the older cars like the newer MAF's....but hes the same guy who told me I couldnt swap a 2.8 tranny into my 1.8t so...lol

AudiSport12
08-07-2007, 05:19 AM
well ill give it a shot. hell, its only 20 bucks. i dug up your old thread last night about your MAF problem and it sounds pretty close to what im dealing with