PDA

View Full Version : Need help !! installing new rear speakers for my a4

DJmuggs
08-06-2007, 10:35 AM
well i bought new type S front and rears... and after installing front 2 and back right, i couldnt install the last one behind the drivers seat . the wires going into that speaker is much different from the rest of them. theres like 6 wires going into a plug that connects to the speaker, while the others just had black/red wires. and whenever i unplug it, both rear speakers go out.

someone help me, what do i do now? i dont feel like going to bestbuy and spending 40$ for them to plug something in. ill post pics soon.

dukez
08-06-2007, 10:52 AM
New speakers stock HU? The rears are externally amped, the amp is located on the left speaker housing, it powers both speakers back there, thats why they both cut out when its unplugged.

A4 Effort
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Just run a new set of wires from your new speakers to the headunit and be done with it. I did that so that i could keep the factory harness and install the old speakers in case i sold the car.

dukez
08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Just run a new set of wires from your new speakers to the headunit and be done with it. I did that so that i could keep the factory harness and install the old speakers in case i sold the car.

I did that as well, with a aftermarket HU. Running new wires is the easiest. But Muggs didn't mention if he has an aftermarket HU (too), or is just replacing the speakers. I don't think you can replace the rear speakers (off the stock HU) because of the rear amps. Maybe there might be some sort of adapter. I'm not aware of one.

Militant-Grunt
08-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Yeeeah you got to run new wires, I know I had to.

DJmuggs
08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Well, i just finally finished doing it, but i got it to work.
i just unscrewed the amp of the stock speaker, rewired the amp to my new speaker (was a complete bitch) and put the new speaker in place.

BOOM theres sound. kiknda gay thou, the new speakers doing screw in al the way.... oh well..

next up > intake heat shield installation