PDA

View Full Version : Ignition lock cylinder issue: Key does not return to ON position

woofster
08-05-2007, 08:14 PM
So this started happening a few days ago, out of the blue. I insert my key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key to start the car. Everything starts up fine, but I notice the key stays in the START position instead of automatically returning to the ON position.

How I knew something was wrong was none of the steering column accessories were functional (turn signal, windshield wiper signal, etc.). Once I slightly nudged the key back in the ON position, all was fine once again.

I noticed more resistance turning the key from the OFF position and tried spraying some lubricant inside the ignition slot but that didn't help. Anyone else come across something like this? I suspect there is a spring in there that's broken but I've never pulled out an ignition lock cylinder before so I'm not sure how it's designed. Any thoughts or feedback is more than welcome!

woofster
08-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Lo and behold, found a recall notice for this issue! I guess I'll be heading down to the local Audi dealership. Hope this helps anyone else who've encountered this problem.

~~~

Make : AUDI
Model : A4
Year : 1997
Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06V403000
Mfr's Report Date : OCT 20, 2006
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 28594

Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, AS A RESULT OF A PROBLEM IN THE PRODUCTION PROCESS OF THE IGNITION SWITCH, THE ANCHOR POINT OF THE SPRING MAY CRACK. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE THE RETURN SPRING FORCE TO BE INSUFFICIENT FOR RETURNING THE IGNITION KEY TO THE RUNNING POSITION AFTER STARTING THE ENGINE.

Consequence:
THIS CONDITION CAUSES ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES SUCH AS WINDSHIELD WIPERS AND HEADLIGHTS TO BECOME INOPERATIVE INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW IGNITION SWITCH WITH AN OPTIMIZED ANCHOR POINT FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 27, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT AUDI AT 1-800-822-2834. NOTE: THIS RECALL SUPERSEDES THE REMEDY PROGRAM UNDER A PREVIOUS RECALL (PLEASE SEE 00V317).

Notes:
AUDI RECALL NO. JS. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION?S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.