PDA

View Full Version : Stupid K04.....or stupid installer?!!!

hoganalley
08-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey guys:

I've tried searching for about an hour and I can't find anything like my problem. If I missed it....then flame away!!!

I bought a K04 kit off another AZ member and just had a chance to install it this weekend. Oh....I'm a 99.5 1.8TQM. In his kit I received the chip (same ECU#), 5 bar FPR, and MAF. I installed all this stuff this weekend and now when I start the car with the K04 chip, it idles rough and when I touch the gas, it dies. I switch back to my stock ECU, won't even start......runs for 1 sec and dies. What's going on? Is it the MAF, FPR? I find it weird that my stock ECU won't even run!!!!

Help me out, please!

mike-2ptzero
08-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Did you install the maf that was set to you? If so put your stock maf back.

Did you get just a chip or a chipped ecu?

AHB900
08-05-2007, 01:50 PM
did u see if ur MAF is installed in the correct way? cause if its fliped around it can cause the car to die its happen to me...

HIERLEVELZ
08-05-2007, 01:50 PM
TB adapation was done?

hoganalley
08-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey Mike.....ok....I'll give that a shot. My car was running poorly before....slow acceleration until 3k and then it picks up. Just about the only thing I haven't replaced is my MAF so I thought his might be better. I'll give it a shot. It's the whole ECU.....I wanted 2 just in case something happened to the chipped one...I'd always have a backup...guess that's not working! LOL!!

AHB -- the wrong way? Interesting. I didn't know it could go both ways. I'll double check to make sure. Thanks!

Hierlevelz.....I dont' have a VAG, so I can't do the TBA that way. The only other way I've seen/heard of, was to turn on the car, don't start it, and wait about 2-3 min. Correct?

Also.....just tried to fiddle with it again.....with the K04 ecu in, it idles rough, I give it some gas, it stalls, and then I hear what sounds like water running/hissing from the back of the engine. When I was in there, I also did the valve cover gaskets....never heard that noise before......

onemoremile
08-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Do the TBA and then start looking for the source of the hissing noise.

HIERLEVELZ
08-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey Mike.....ok....I'll give that a shot. My car was running poorly before....slow acceleration until 3k and then it picks up. Just about the only thing I haven't replaced is my MAF so I thought his might be better. I'll give it a shot. It's the whole ECU.....I wanted 2 just in case something happened to the chipped one...I'd always have a backup...guess that's not working! LOL!!

AHB -- the wrong way? Interesting. I didn't know it could go both ways. I'll double check to make sure. Thanks!

Hierlevelz.....I dont' have a VAG, so I can't do the TBA that way. The only other way I've seen/heard of, was to turn on the car, don't start it, and wait about 2-3 min. Correct?

Also.....just tried to fiddle with it again.....with the K04 ecu in, it idles rough, I give it some gas, it stalls, and then I hear what sounds like water running/hissing from the back of the engine. When I was in there, I also did the valve cover gaskets....never heard that noise before......

yeah u dont need the vagcom....just turn key to the on position and let it "learn" for a couple minutes, of course dont touch the gas pedal while its "learning". APR did it that way when they chipped my car at waterfest. Im also a 99.5 TQM

hoganalley
08-05-2007, 02:48 PM
not sure about the vac leaks. I replaced the most obvious lines.....IM to DV, FPR to IM....so they're new. Otherwise, nothing existed before....boost showed fine on my gauge

Starting
08-05-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not familar with a k04 that requires a different maf other then the hammer program but that is for dbw cars. I would put the stock maf back in. If it wasn't running right before because of the maf then clean the sensor, let it dry completly and reinstall. I am guessing you are saying you give it gas and then it drops off and stalls. My car with a k04 gaic program took 20-30 miles to adapt. It would want to stall when i let off the gas just give it a little gas to keep it from stalling and it should even out. What is your vacuum reading at idle?

mike-2ptzero
08-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm not familar with a k04 that requires a different maf other then the hammer program but that is for dbw cars. I would put the stock maf back in. If it wasn't running right before because of the maf then clean the sensor, let it dry completly and reinstall. I am guessing you are saying you give it gas and then it drops off and stalls. My car with a k04 gaic program took 20-30 miles to adapt. It would want to stall when i let off the gas just give it a little gas to keep it from stalling and it should even out. What is your vacuum reading at idle?

Pretty sure he just meant that he got a stock maf from the seller of the K04.

hoganalley
08-05-2007, 03:54 PM
ok.....replaced the MAF to mine....Ran worse! Now, the K04 file won't even run! It starts, idles rough for about 5 sec and shuts off. I can definately tell the difference between the two MAF's. I didn't try the stock ECU...figured it wouldn't matter. Best I can guess...maybe injectors? Broken wiring when I removed the valve cover? Still have that noise of liquid dripping/hissing, but nothing is coming out from the bottom of the car. I'm stumped. It's like it just doesn't want to run. I'd love to wait 30 miles, but I can't even get out of my parking spot!! LOL!!!

hoganalley
08-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Would the N75 cause these problems? The car ran great before...just a little slow in getting going....now I can't even get it to start! I think there must be some wiring broken somewhere.....

hoganalley
08-05-2007, 04:00 PM
stock MAF from the other member....and I can't even get a vac reading at idle now. Before the swap it was between 20-30Hg

quattro16
08-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Make sure the maf arrow faces towards the engine. Also did you install the fpr correctly? Reinstall the old fpr and see if it starts.

hoganalley
08-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Installing the old FPR is the next step. I'll be doing that today. I didn't see any particular way to install the FPR....you just press it in. The only thing I didn't do, is remove the gas cap when I depressurized the system...but I don't think that should matter.....

mike-2ptzero
08-06-2007, 06:36 AM
stock MAF from the other member....and I can't even get a vac reading at idle now. Before the swap it was between 20-30Hg

You have a big leak some where if you cant produce any vacuum at idle.

Did you make sure the arrow on the maf is facing toward the turbo inlet hose? If you did then did you try starting the car with the maf unplugged?

hoganalley
08-06-2007, 07:05 AM
the reason I can't see any vacuum is because the car doesn't stay on long enough to read it! I'll look again today. The MAF only fits in one way I've noticed.....running stock airbox. I'm going to try the old regulator first, and then I'll try the MAF....eating breakfast! I'll be on it by 11.30!

94jedi
08-06-2007, 07:07 AM
try a new ICM while you're at it.

hoganalley
08-06-2007, 09:34 AM
I did the ICM about 5 weeks ago...doubt it's that. Here's what I've found. Car barely turns over now! Old FPR/My MAF....Old FPR/New MAF doesn't matter. The car held idle for a second and I was getting ~15Hg for a vac reading so that's fine. Exhaust smells like heavy fuel....seems like there's no air getting in? I was running a cone, but put in the stock air box....Still hear the trickling water noise/hiss....but it could be coolant making it's way through the engine. I can hear the TBA happening on stock ECU, but not the K04 ecu. I'm stumped. I didn't have a chance to try running it without the MAF....Oh...and no CEL. ???????

hoganalley
08-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Anyone? I'm going to try running it without the MAF plugged in. Any other suggestions would be great!

Militant-Grunt
08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Sounds like something is not plugged in. Check the N75 and the MAF. Also make sure that he really did sell you a 5 bar..

hoganalley
08-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Ok....for starters I'm going to apologize to the guys that answered my thread....especially Mike! Last night I tried to run the car without the MAF attached and, of course, it ran! Fair enough...however, I find it weird that neither MAF I have will run. My car was running before I did the install....I can't believe that my MAF doesn't work now! Could it be the wiring harness from the connector to the ECU?

mike-2ptzero
08-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Ok....for starters I'm going to apologize to the guys that answered my thread....especially Mike! Last night I tried to run the car without the MAF attached and, of course, it ran! Fair enough...however, I find it weird that neither MAF I have will run. My car was running before I did the install....I can't believe that my MAF doesn't work now! Could it be the wiring harness from the connector to the ECU?

Could be a wire that broke at the maf plug.

hoganalley
08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I looked....they all look good! Nothing pulls out, sleeves are all in tact. I hope it's not somewhere up the line.....that would suck. I've talked to my mechanic and he says try an ECU reset, TB cleaning, and quadruple check for leaks. I'm going to do all this tonight when I get home. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

hoganalley
08-08-2007, 06:21 AM
alright boys! I figured it out! Turns out that the intake hose to the front of the turbo was disconnected. Hooked that back up and everything is great! Sorry for all the crap! I do have a few questions though......I put in the stock ECU and on my way to work today I was boosting 12psi...I thought stock was 7? Also, it would max at 12/13 and bounce between 10-13psi.....that seems weird. Then, when I put in the K04 ECU, the car idles at 500 and I have to hold it above 2000RPM to even get it to move, but it's choppy and I can't drive slow?!!! Confused now!

20vpower
08-08-2007, 06:31 AM
tba

HIERLEVELZ
08-08-2007, 07:32 AM
YES def sounds like you need to do the TBA.

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2007, 07:38 AM
alright boys! I figured it out! Turns out that the intake hose to the front of the turbo was disconnected. Hooked that back up and everything is great! Sorry for all the crap! I do have a few questions though......I put in the stock ECU and on my way to work today I was boosting 12psi...I thought stock was 7? Also, it would max at 12/13 and bounce between 10-13psi.....that seems weird. Then, when I put in the K04 ECU, the car idles at 500 and I have to hold it above 2000RPM to even get it to move, but it's choppy and I can't drive slow?!!! Confused now!

Stock boost for a K03 is 7, you see 12 because your running a K03 chip with a K04 and the K04 has a different wg spring rating.

Every time you switch the ecu or pull the battery off you need to turn the key to the on position for 30-45 seconds or do a throttle adapt using the vag-com. If you dont the thottle body position readings will be wrong.

hoganalley
08-08-2007, 08:26 AM
cool. Is it not weird that the K04 ECU won't automatically do a TBA? The stock ECU does it no problem, but the K04 does nothing. If I do a TBA through VAG, I assume it will work? Btw....do K04's run low RPM's and really rich, or just slightly rich. When I tried to drive the car last night, when I turned it off all I could smell was gas. I assume the TBA would fix that, but would I notice more of a gas smell when it's running correctly?

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2007, 08:29 AM
cool. Is it not weird that the K04 ECU won't automatically do a TBA? The stock ECU does it no problem, but the K04 does nothing. If I do a TBA through VAG, I assume it will work? Btw....do K04's run low RPM's and really rich, or just slightly rich. When I tried to drive the car last night, when I turned it off all I could smell was gas. I assume the TBA would fix that, but would I notice more of a gas smell when it's running correctly?

Well it will run rich at first till the ecu adjusts the fuel trim.

hoganalley
08-08-2007, 08:48 AM
thanks....I'm going to try to get my mechanic to do the TBA today...but I'll post as soon as it's done! Thanks guys!

Rosati
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Did you try running it w/o the maf plugged in?

Thats the first thing you should have done when you thought the MAF was the problem.

K04 files arent exactly as sensetive as BT programs , why would you need to switch mafs?

Try running it w/o the maf plugged in, itll throw a CEL but run.

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Did you try running it w/o the maf plugged in?

Thats the first thing you should have done when you thought the MAF was the problem.

K04 files arent exactly as sensetive as BT programs , why would you need to switch mafs?

Try running it w/o the maf plugged in, itll throw a CEL but run.

Posted yesterday in case you missed it.

Last night I tried to run the car without the MAF attached and, of course, it ran!

He got a "stock maf" from the seller of the K04 which he also explained in this thread.

stop jumping to the end of the thread and read the whole thing lazy! [;)]

hoganalley
08-08-2007, 10:47 AM
ok! Put in the K04 file......no TBA. Hooked it up to VAG....CAN"T do a TBA. I put in group 098 and it gives me an error. I switch back to the stock ECU....works perfect. I don't know if the ECU is fried, or if there is some bulit in code for the tranny....this chip came from an Auto car...I'm a manual. I was told all I had to do was re-enter the correct code for a 1.8T Manual car and I should be fine....does GIAC put something in the chip itself if it's auto or manual?

mike-2ptzero
08-08-2007, 11:38 AM
ok! Put in the K04 file......no TBA. Hooked it up to VAG....CAN"T do a TBA. I put in group 098 and it gives me an error. I switch back to the stock ECU....works perfect. I don't know if the ECU is fried, or if there is some bulit in code for the tranny....this chip came from an Auto car...I'm a manual. I was told all I had to do was re-enter the correct code for a 1.8T Manual car and I should be fine....does GIAC put something in the chip itself if it's auto or manual?

well it shouldn't really matter on the ndbw cars, but if you need to recode the ecu you just replace the "soft code" with what is in your stock ecu.

hoganalley
08-08-2007, 11:45 AM
yeah Mike, I've done that. I made sure to do that before I started the install. I checked the code today and it is still the same as my stock ECU, but it still won't let me do the TBA. As far as I can tell, that's the only thing that is keeping this from running....kinda frustrating. I'd call GIAC, but the ECU isn't in my VIN # and they won't service me if the VIN doesn't match

HIERLEVELZ
08-08-2007, 11:55 AM
call the previous owner and ask him for the vin .

Rosati
08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Posted yesterday in case you missed it.

He got a "stock maf" from the seller of the K04 which he also explained in this thread.

stop jumping to the end of the thread and read the whole thing lazy! [;)]

Oooof. Schooled.

Gimme a break, im studying hardcore for the job

bronz
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
sry off topic but im spiking 10-11 and holding 9 on my 01 :S ??? is that normal? mods r in sig which is lamost nuthing..

mike-2ptzero
08-09-2007, 06:25 PM
yeah Mike, I've done that. I made sure to do that before I started the install. I checked the code today and it is still the same as my stock ECU, but it still won't let me do the TBA. As far as I can tell, that's the only thing that is keeping this from running....kinda frustrating. I'd call GIAC, but the ECU isn't in my VIN # and they won't service me if the VIN doesn't match

What are the part #'s of the 2 ecu's you have?

Did you try block 060 to do the TBA?

biketsai
08-09-2007, 06:36 PM
sry off topic but im spiking 10-11 and holding 9 on my 01 :S ??? is that normal? mods r in sig which is lamost nuthing..

thats about right

hoganalley
08-09-2007, 06:52 PM
yeah.....those boost levels sound right to me too. I've noticed over the past 2 days that with the stock ECU I spike at 12...flops between 9-12 for a bit, and then holds nicely at 8-9. Your numbers are good for stock ECU.

Mike.......Both ECU part numbers are identical.....we both end in 557P. As far as the number under the word "BOSCH" they're different. Also, he didn't have ESP, so I'm ok there. I can try to block group 060, but al the instructions say to use 098....I'll see if I can get in on the VAG tomorrow. Thanks!

hoganalley
08-11-2007, 06:44 AM
Ok...I tried to do a TBA on group 060 and the same error came up. I think I'm screwed. It seems like GIAC put a restriction on the TBA on this chip so I guess I somehow have to get in touch with them and see if they can fix it for cheap. Unless someone has a K04 GIAC 557P ECU for sale!

mike-2ptzero
08-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Ok...I tried to do a TBA on group 060 and the same error came up. I think I'm screwed. It seems like GIAC put a restriction on the TBA on this chip so I guess I somehow have to get in touch with them and see if they can fix it for cheap. Unless someone has a K04 GIAC 557P ECU for sale!

GIAC doesn't put restrictions like that, just sounds like there is an issue with that ecu.

Poopie
08-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Try doing the TBA on group 98. I never had succes on 060. Clear your codes before resetting to basic settings.

hoganalley
08-13-2007, 06:33 AM
ok...I've done just about everything I can think of. I'm going to try GIAC again, to see if they will service me, but other than that....I don't know! Is it bad if I can't do a TBA? Will the car adjust naturally anyways after some driving? Should I risk it, or just try to find another K04 ECU?

mike-2ptzero
08-13-2007, 07:04 AM
ok...I've done just about everything I can think of. I'm going to try GIAC again, to see if they will service me, but other than that....I don't know! Is it bad if I can't do a TBA? Will the car adjust naturally anyways after some driving? Should I risk it, or just try to find another K04 ECU?

Have you checked to see if the car needs a TBA? Just look at block 003 with the key on but the engine off, then press the pedal to the floor and see what your max reading is at. If it is not in the 80's then just disconnect the battery, wait 5-10 minutes, connect the battery, turn the key on for 1 minute, turn the key off, turn the key on and then start the car. After that do the same check with the vag with the key on and engine off to see if the throttle body readings are in the 80's now. This is called a "manual TBA" since the car does it on its own after losing the TBA memory settings because of the loss of power. When doing a TBA do not touch the throttle pedal at all.

I just helped another guy that was having a studder problem at 5400 rpms and turns out his throttle body readings were no higher then 73 degs, he did the TBA like I discribed above and now his readings are in the mid 80's where they should be and the studder went away.

hoganalley
08-13-2007, 08:20 AM
I'll give it a shot! I guess if those numbers are correct, then the car should run as well as it's going to. I'll try to get to that today, and I'll post the results asap.

Thanks Mike!

hoganalley
08-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok boys....here's what happened. I plugged in the K04 ECU to do a check of the TB and VAG wouldn't communicate with the computer. I tried to start the car...and nothing. I hook up my stock ECU, everything is fine. I guess that means the K04 is toast?! Anyway to fix these things?

mike-2ptzero
08-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Open the ECu with the K04 chip and check it to see if the chip is installed correctly.

Rico750
08-14-2007, 10:41 PM
did you ask the guy you bought it from if he knows a shortcut to solving this problem?

hoganalley
08-15-2007, 06:35 AM
I have talked to the guy I bought the chip from and he's 100% positive the chip left in perfect condition and he never had a problem with the chip. I have opened the ECU to make sure the chip is seated correctly....it is. So....I guess the cheapest thing to do would be to buy a stock ECU and swap the chip. Can this be done by anyone with good soldering skills, or should I leave it up to GIAC...

tike0rz
08-15-2007, 06:49 AM
I have talked to the guy I bought the chip from and he's 100% positive the chip left in perfect condition and he never had a problem with the chip. I have opened the ECU to make sure the chip is seated correctly....it is. So....I guess the cheapest thing to do would be to buy a stock ECU and swap the chip. Can this be done by anyone with good soldering skills, or should I leave it up to GIAC...

Leave it up to them! An expensive ECU is the last thing you'll wanna screw up!

mike-2ptzero
08-15-2007, 08:26 AM

Just find it odd a ecu works perfect before being shipped but doesn't work once you put it in the car. Might want to find another ndbw car and see if it works in that one before replacing the ecu.

hoganalley
08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Ok! After a little cooling off and thinking about the situation....I used my intellect and plugged the K04 ECU back in, and presto!! It worked! So I have no idea why it decided to stop working, but anyway.....question now is. Still didn't do a TBA when I turned on the car, so I fired it up idles around 500-600 and when I give it some gas, it stumbles to about 300 but recovers and idles at 500-600. VERY rich smell of gas. Is this normal for the basic K04 file? It seems too rich to be right. I'm under the assumption that for the basic file it's a chip, K04, and FPR...should I be needing something else?

Starting
08-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Try driving it for a few miles. My k04 file would do that for about 20 miles whenever I disconnected the battery.

hoganalley
08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
ok! I'll see what I find! Anything else? Let me know!

mike-2ptzero
08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
So the car didn't do a TBA on its own when you first turned the key on?

I would still turn the key on, wait 1 minute, shut the key off, turn it back on and then start the car.

hoganalley
08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
alright...here's what I found. I just took it to my mech. to do a TBA...again, I got an error. I scanned for codes and found P1545...Throttle Controller Malfunction. Cleared the code, started the car, code comes back. Give it gas, response is sluggish, it falls back to 250rpm, and rebounds to 600. Code shows up again, clear the code, and the revs jump. Give it some more gas, code shows up again. Shut the car off, put in stock ECU, works perfect...no codes. After some ETKA work, we find that there are 2 different part numbers for the TB and it apparently matters......does this make sense to anyone? A TB change isn't necessary if you get an ECU from a pre-99.5, is it? Ideas?

audiFUEGO
08-29-2007, 08:11 PM
im sure theres a tuning shop around you that has some soldering experience... why dont you just give them both ECUs and ask him to swap the chip over to the good one.

I had a local shop solder my apr chip and havent had problems for 3 years

mike-2ptzero
08-30-2007, 07:21 AM
alright...here's what I found. I just took it to my mech. to do a TBA...again, I got an error. I scanned for codes and found P1545...Throttle Controller Malfunction. Cleared the code, started the car, code comes back. Give it gas, response is sluggish, it falls back to 250rpm, and rebounds to 600. Code shows up again, clear the code, and the revs jump. Give it some more gas, code shows up again. Shut the car off, put in stock ECU, works perfect...no codes. After some ETKA work, we find that there are 2 different part numbers for the TB and it apparently matters......does this make sense to anyone? A TB change isn't necessary if you get an ECU from a pre-99.5, is it? Ideas?

Did you check to make sure the chipped ecu's soft code is the same as the stock one?

sjthomas
08-30-2007, 07:25 AM
You still haven't answered Mike and told us if you tried to do a 'manual' TBA (key in ignition)? Seems like you just keeps doing it through VAG COM and getting error codes.

hoganalley
08-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Mike: Yes, the softcode is the same as the original. That's never changed from the first time I set it

sj: Sorry...I have done it, a bunch of times, but when I turn the car on, it clicks for about 3 sec and then nothing happens. If it's the stock ECU, it clicks and hums like it's supposed to.

It seems like it can't read the TB. Is it possible that all ECU's can't read all TB?

mike-2ptzero
08-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Mike: Yes, the softcode is the same as the original. That's never changed from the first time I set it

sj: Sorry...I have done it, a bunch of times, but when I turn the car on, it clicks for about 3 sec and then nothing happens. If it's the stock ECU, it clicks and hums like it's supposed to.

It seems like it can't read the TB. Is it possible that all ECU's can't read all TB?

Sounds like there is either a issue with that ecu or an issue with that chip. You could try having the chip installed into the stock ecu you have, if the problem moves with the chip then that chip is most likely bad.

hoganalley
08-30-2007, 09:05 AM
I think that's my only option! I'm going to look into having that done.....I don't know if there's anything else I can do!

hoganalley
08-30-2007, 01:02 PM
snooping around on a few sites I found this link.....

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/060-069.html#_ftn1

I'm getting the ADP ERROR in block 060. If you click on the [1] beside ERROR, it takes you to the bottom of the page where it says "[1] ADP ERROR = in emergency mode" Does this mean anything to anyone?

mike-2ptzero
08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
snooping around on a few sites I found this link.....

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/060-069.html#_ftn1

I'm getting the ADP ERROR in block 060. If you click on the [1] beside ERROR, it takes you to the bottom of the page where it says "[1] ADP ERROR = in emergency mode" Does this mean anything to anyone?

You could try emailing the people at Ross-tech and they might be able to give you an answer.