PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my car running on MegaSquirt

pac1085
08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
You might remember I posted back in Feb or March that I was going to be running MegaSquirt on my car. Well, 5 months later I finally got it running right. The reason I couldn't get it to work right in the past was that I left the stock ECU in control of the fuel pump relay, which didn't work the way I thought it would (it primed it when you turned the key but didn't turn it on till you started the car, but with no sensors plugged in it never knew I started the car) Anyways, I put Megasquirt in charge of the fuel pump relay and it fired right up. I loaded a map that was given to me by "Mine's an Outie" on here, scaled the fuel VE table to my injectors and the car is perfectly drivable. It needs some in-boost tuning, and I need to put my larger injectors in, but other than that, I can drive it now!

There are still a few things left that I need to do. Need to add a tacho output circuit to get my cluster and air cond working. Then I need to add the knock sensing circuit as well. I need to install a switch for the launch control. After that, I need to find an AWD dyno.

If anyone has questions on MS in an A4, let me know!

Saturnine
08-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Sweetness!!

Runs good eh?

pac1085
08-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Sweetness!!

Runs good eh?

Yep - put about 90 miles on it so far today!

It definitely needs a lot more tuning but right now it's fine, the file I got put me very close.

a220vt
08-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Are you running coil on plug with that? What did you use for cam and crank sensors?

dualaudi
08-04-2007, 08:37 PM
that's nice. i was seriously thinking that I wanted to try the MegaSquirt, but hearing all the trials and tribulations, and that i don't need one for my K04 w/ the awesome pc16... i think i'll just admire your set up...

pac1085
08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Are you running coil on plug with that? What did you use for cam and crank sensors?

Didn't bother with COP. Seemed like a pain in the ass. I'm doing wasted spark with this (http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=40&osCsid=958dea66509f1f06924ff6d91adbf3b5). I am not using the Cam sensor. Using the stock VR sensor.

RigsPGT
08-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Its good to hear you guys started tunning with MS. I have a friend (Trax84D) with a B5 A4 and he loves looking at the MT screen on mine and all the features Im able to control. He mentioned that very few people run it here and it is almost a rare find to see an A4 tunned with it!

BTW, what MS and code are you running?

Starting
08-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Sounds good. Your a better person then me. I could see myself giving it another try in the future though.

pac1085
08-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Its good to hear you guys started tunning with MS. I have a friend (Trax84D) with a B5 A4 and he loves looking at the MT screen on mine and all the features Im able to control. He mentioned that very few people run it here and it is almost a rare find to see an A4 tunned with it!

I only knew of one other person who ran it on a B5 A4, "MinesAnOutie" but he recently totaled his car.

I have a V3 board running MSNS-E 029v. Once I put the peak & hold driver board back in I'm going to run the latest HR code.

pac1085
08-05-2007, 06:28 PM
75# injectors are in, car runs great even with the huuge injectors! Got about 200 miles on it. Haven't had to question its reliability yet. Did a little bit of tuning, car feels good, it will only get better from here. Ordering the knock sensing stuff soon so I can do some real tuning.

nrosei4
08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
If you don't mind me asking - did you completely remove the stock ECU?

I'm currently working on plans to do a MS install myself, and I want to make sure I don't disable some functions of the car.
For example - AC, cruise, fuel gauge, remote locks, etc. Did you find out what must have the stock ECU to function, and others that do not care if the ECU is there or not?

Rosati
08-07-2007, 03:47 PM

Wats up Rig!

WTF! I thought i was dreaming!

One of my old PT guys! No one followed me from there or listened to my lectures about Audi !

How the hell have you been man? Looking to get an A4? What brings you here?

oh sorry phil, Im proud of you man, after you sent me that pic of the MESS you called MS , you finally got it together, good shit bro

Don Supreme
08-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Any updates? Car still running well? Have you dynoed it yet?

prodrive
08-22-2007, 06:21 AM
How can you get Tech. support for that ECU ?

pac1085
08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Any updates? Car still running well? Have you dynoed it yet?
I've got around 1000 miles on it and its running good. Finally getting good gas mileage once again. I did get on it a few times and it rips, but I need to be careful since I still have stock motor. Right now I'm just trying to get it tuned for regular driving. The next step is to put my peak & hold injector board back in and load the hi-res code because its really hard to tune with the 75# injectors on the standard resolution code. After that I need to order the knock sensing stuff. I'm not gonna try tuning it for any sort of power until I get the motor done which probably won't happen for quite a while. I need to win the lottery or something.

How can you get Tech. support for that ECU ?
Since there isn't an organization behind it, its pretty much DIY. However there are some tuners that support it. There is a lot of documentation online and a good message board for help.

pac1085
10-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Figured id post a small update...I've got about 5000 miles on it and its running almost perfect. I got 27mpg on the trip down to H2O. I'm still only running 14 psi. Haven't really wound out the RPM's in anything other than 1st/2nd gear, as I don't have knock sensors in it yet. I finally bought a real intercooler & tial bov and that will be here this week so I'm gonna try to fine tune it at 14 psi before going any higher. I still have a stock motor so I won't push it too much but I am working out the details of a built motor. Sorry, there probably won't be a dyno for a long time as there isn't an AWD dyno within about 350 miles.

The only two quirks I have currently are;

Idle control. I am not runnin an IAC valve, only a set screw. This makes for hard cold starts.

Air conditioning....it only turns on when your driving above a certain rpm, not when idling. This may be because I don't have TPS plugged into stock computer, only thing I can think of.

pac1085
10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Another update...

I took the car to the drag strip the other day and did absolutley HORRIBLE...like chipped k03 speeds...the car had nothing up top at all, so I had to dig deeper...

My timing has been off the whole time I've been running megasquirt. Like, really bad! If I thought I was running 16 degrees BTDC at idle, it was really running at like 20 degrees ATDC. I have no idea how it ran. I finally figured out how to check the timing with a timing light, adjusted some settings and the car instantly felt like it gained 150hp at the same boost level. Moral of the story...read the directions and check your timing..lol.

I also upgraded to the MS2/Extra code. I have the stock ECU controlling my idle, plugging that back in also made my AC work again.

Knock sensing stuff is here, got it working on the bench just need to install it in the car.

All thats left for now really is a fuel pump...I need to build the motor too, but I simply cant afford it right now, so I'm gonna see what I can do with the stocker. If it blows, it blows, I got a spare ready to drop in on an engine stand in my garage.

Mine's an Outie
10-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Good to hear you got the car running good!

Hows the ms2 working out? Do you still have a tps signal to the ms or did you just disconnect it so the stock ecu can control idle? I now remember that the a/c wont work without an rpm signal. I kind of regret selling my stock ecu now. I was thinking I would run a/c with my new project but oh well, I'll worry about that later.

Definitely post an update when you get the knock sensing working, I'm very interested to see how it goes.

pac1085
10-30-2007, 07:44 PM
I disconnected the TPS since I wasn't using it anyways. I'll probably put a switch in for flood clear. I'd like to get it working eventually since you can do MAP/MAF blend AE with MS2/Extra now, but for now I'll leave it. You need an RPM signal for AC to work, but it still doesn't work properly unless the TPS is plugged in...

tonci
11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
How did you connect rpm signal? Does an audi tacho needs power output or logic level output from ecu to work?

pac1085
11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
The MegaSquirt is wired directly into the car's VR sensor for the 60-2 wheel. In order to keep the tacho working, I split the signal and kept the stock ECU in place. A friend of mine is running his A4's cluster directly from the tacho output of an 034 IIc so I would imagine it can be done with MegaSquirt as well with the proper output circuit.

a220vt
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Any updates on this? How's it running? I'm really considering doing this, but I want to use COP and also use Megasquirt to control the stock stepper motor. Do you know if Megasquirt II can do this stuff? Also, do you know if I need 4 of those high output coil drivers to run the stock coils and ignition module?