PDA

View Full Version : Polk Audio db650 for rear deck?

iowaboostin
08-04-2007, 10:48 AM
I blew the rear deck woofers in my A4 w/factory Bose and looking for a cheaper replacement. According to Crutchfield this'll work by simply splicing the wires. I'm trying to search but am getting a AZ database error instead.

link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3KLyKCMzJG4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=400&I=107DB650

notes from Crutchfield:

"Installation Details for your 1999 A4

» Use the factory speaker grilles.
» A speaker adapter bracket is required, and it's included free with your speaker purchase.
» A wiring harness is not available. Cut off the factory connectors and splice the vehicle's speaker wires to your new speaker wires.
» For improved sound quality purchase a set of foam baffles to go with these speakers.
» The factory speakers in this location only produce bass. To get full-range sound from your new speakers, you'll need to replace the factory radio with an aftermarket stereo AND bypass the factory amp. "

I know in order for it to be a direct replacement it needs to be 2ohm but the details listed on the site doesn't say whether this is 2 or 4ohm. Anybody have any experience with these speakers? Will they work w/o crazy wiring? TIA!

wood_e
08-04-2007, 10:55 AM
probably 4ohm

keeganhartman
08-04-2007, 11:11 AM
well when i took my rear bose out they were 3 ohm and when replacing speakers like that it should still work but increasing the ohm load in most cases will decrease the power delivered to those speakers. I'd personally look into the db651 it's the newer model of the 650 and it seems to be a little bit better of a speaker. there should be no complicated wiring on this

iowaboostin
08-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm not huge into stereos, I probably won't notice one working speaker from another. I just don't want to have that blown speaker noise.. plus having the bass setting on -5 sucks. Any info on whether or not my audio-retarded self can just splice these speakers and voila, working speakers once again?

keeganhartman
08-04-2007, 12:59 PM
yeah i mean you shouldn't have a problem with it ... the hardest part is really going to be the rear deck to get it off .. you could always just cut it off at the speaker and run nothing back there ?

iowaboostin
08-04-2007, 09:51 PM
yeah i mean you shouldn't have a problem with it ... the hardest part is really going to be the rear deck to get it off .. you could always just cut it off at the speaker and run nothing back there ?

Meh, for the price of these speakers I might as well replace my blown ones. So splicing a 4ohm speaker where a 2ohm should be won't do any harm? Keep in mind as long as it sounds decent I'm happy.

keeganhartman
08-04-2007, 10:22 PM
short term harm ... no but over time those channels could start to go because of the different ohm loads... although i would expect bose to be better than that considering most all aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm along with most aftermarket amps being able to operate in 4 ohm.

iowaboostin
08-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Well fack. I should call them.

A4 Effort
08-05-2007, 05:02 AM
I used to have DB650s in my rear deck. When i first installed them, i had them running at 4ohms w/50watts going to each off the rear channels on my Rockford Fosgate P4004 amp. I then added a second pair of DB650s to my doors, and i ran them in parallel on each L/R rear channel of the amp at 2ohms w/100watts going to each and they ran fine.

iowaboostin
08-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info, not sure how to do that though! I still have the stock bose amp in the back, you think it'll be alright just splicing the two rear decks in there?

bigmerle
08-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes, Polk speakers along with all aftermarket car speakers run at an 4 ohm load (fyi house speakers run at 8 ohm) and will work fine at a 2 ohm load but you just wont get the full sound potential out of them......will they sound better than your blown bose speakers....100% just dont expect to get the solid mid range levels out of them.

iowaboostin
08-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I appreciate all the info guys

A4 Effort
08-05-2007, 03:49 PM
and will work fine at a 2 ohm load but you just wont get the full sound potential out of them......

Huh? How do you figure? 2ohm = less resistance = more power

Unless you're referring to running them off the bose amp.