PDA

View Full Version : Improving range of keyless entry remote

woofster
08-03-2007, 04:47 PM
So I finally got a keyless entry switchblade remote key for my B5 and programmed it successfully. I can lock and unlock my car...

...however! There's always a catch, right? Else I wouldn't be making this thread. [;)] The range on this thing is horrible! I had similar remotes for my old MK4 Jetta and I was able to operate it from 20 feet away!

I will try replacing the battery but I really don't think that's the problem. When I'm inside the car, the remote works alright and if I'm standing right next to the car on the outside, it works...sometimes.

Anybody else have a similar experience? What can be done to correct/improve the range of these remotes?

A4 Effort
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Search. There are many write-ups on how to go about extending the keyless entry range.

You'll have to do one of two things: relocate the antenna, or crimp on a piece of wire so the antenna is longer. It will depend upon what year your car is.

Again, do a search on here, Audiworld, or Audiforums. You'll find it.

Matt@JHM
08-03-2007, 05:56 PM
I happened to bookmark a page awhile back. Too bad my remote broke the day I went to go try it. Wish I could figure out how the re-program the damn remote.

Anyways, here's the link for the DIY: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145686

Good luck.

woofster
08-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Dang, you guys are the best. I came across a thread/article on this some time ago but couldn't find it again. Thumbs up for a new link!